The battle of the DACs, comparison of sound quality between some DACs

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MarcelvdG, If your ears tell you clipping is the worst problem, then by all means go after it first. If only your instruments tell you...well, the mastering engineer and client decided they wanted clipped.

The other thing I keep getting reminded of is not to design based on compensating for bad recordings. Use good recordings with simple micing that capture room sound. Try to get it sounding real. The bad recordings are a distraction. For example, maybe try Janis Ian's "Breaking Silence." Lots of dynamics and space in it. Sounds like real instruments in a real space.
"Breaking Silence" is an audiophile favourite from way back and the recording sure sounds pretty amazing. I believe they plugged the mic pre's straight into the (A80) analog multitrack tape machine.
Having said that I think it is also pretty boring musically speaking which could also be said for a lot of the old audiophile classics, some incredible recordings but most of the songs or performances just don't grab me.
TCD

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I got, and read a copy of Sony’s CD white paper in 1980. At the time, taking a graduate course in sampling theory, i suggested that the time resolution would need to increase at least 4 x before it started to compete with analog.

The first CD players sucked big time. I did not get my own until near 2k. I am actually quite amazed at how far they have managed to be improved.

dave

Reactions: 1 user
...some incredible recordings but most of the songs or performances just don't grab me.

Not necessarily for enjoyment. A few good recordings can be selected for use in listening comparisons when discrimination is sought rather than preference. It means one has to learn a recording well enough to discriminate when something very specific about the sound changes even if its only very briefly. A good recording with a good combination of reproduction attributes can provide a lot of information about system performance in one listening. OTOH using random playlists may be more enjoyable, but it may be better suited for preference comparisons rather than for discrimination of specific differences.

Yes, but the bottom 2 DACs had measurement-wise questionable transformer based output instead of the normal (and datasheet recommended) opamp IV+LPF. So this test does not provide any conclusions regarding NOS vs. OS.
The WELL Audio site shows photos of the TWSDAC-1862, and TWSDA-1541 which appear to show transformer coupled line outputs. Perhaps, these might be photos of newer versions of those two DACs? Meanwhile, I agree that the uniform presence of NOS operation among the top 5 DACs doesn’t by itself prove the significance of NOS to their subjective performance, but it does legitimately raise the strong suspicion.

Last edited:
I got, and read a copy of Sony’s CD white paper in 1980. At the time, taking a graduate course in sampling theory, i suggested that the time resolution would need to increase at least 4 x before it started to compete with analog.

The first CD players sucked big time. I did not get my own until near 2k. I am actually quite amazed at how far they have managed to be improved.

dave
Sure... I had the first Magnavox copy of the Philips top loader.

I suspect the recorders were highly problematic as well. With only 16 bit headroom I suspect setting the clipping limits in predicting what transients could occur seems likely to have restricted bit depth or dynamic range to far less than 16 bits. With the advent of 24/32 bit ADC's and ultra low distortions there is limited need to adjust levels to prevent overload. Hence a 16 bit recording can "windowed" from the 24/32 bit recording to preserve maximum dynamic range being restricted to 16 bits if desired.

What is interesting is that streaming in Tidal is still 16 bits /44.1KHz in "HiRez". Yet the outcome can be drastically superior to stuff produced 40 years ago... or not.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Do they behave as brick wall low-pass filters above 15 kHz?

When I make a 96 kHz sample rate digital recording of a record and look at the GoldWave moving FFT plots, I see a gradual decrease and a level that is higher when there is some sharp sound. That is, the spectra look like high-frequency music content.
You do realise that getting under 5% THD out a vinyl replay system is good going. The cartridge generates a whole host of pleasing harmonics.
Does it occur on most records?
That depends more on the replay system...
If they were made with 44.1 kHz or 44.056 kHz sample rate, they combine the worst of both worlds.
I suspect the CBS DisComputer did something pretty nasty, but no idea how digital delay lines were done in the late 70s.

IME a lot of those harmonics and or colorations turn out to be in the tonearm, head shell, and other places besides the cartridge. Amazing to me to see how much could be cleaned up by varying other factors.
True. In my experience the weighting, suspension and balance are also critical to performance, perhaps with isolation from ground being the most critical. It is fortunate that the mechanical harmonic spectrum becomes relatively attenuated as corresponding to points on the RIAA curve, falling off at about a 6dB/octave. Unfortunately the intermodulation products can also be relatively amplified at the low end.

The scientific method involves the ability to recreate the apparatus and environment used to support the conclusions drawn. This applies to both Mark4's claim and yours in stating "Both DACS have distortion levels and sound coloration below audible threshold".
Is my claim an extraordinary one? Also, do you now acknowledge that Markw4's post was a claim and not a "statement of opinion"?
If "noise" is herein defined as anything not signal the above is limited as to "distortion levels and sound coloration below audible threshold", as not necessarily encompassing all forms of noise, known or otherwise. The ability to resolve noise is conditional upon numerous factors as to include the apparatus to permit such resolution. There exists a difference between claiming artifacts are below the audible threshold and claiming artifacts are indeterminate below such threshold, as perhaps limited by the apparatus being used.
How do you know that?
The veracity of a claim is not dependant upon the ability of a proponent to identify noise sources, known or otherwise, hence the ability to counter claims (in satisfactory English, or well articulated grunting) does not necessarily alter the veracity of the claim. Alternative, the veracity can be altered if a 1000 others either agreed or disagreed with that claim. Perhaps in time we will know this.
When did ordinary vs extraordinary claim discussion become the veracity of claim discussion?
Level matched double blind listening tests of DACs reported to be audibly indistinguishable despite the price differences or market status (high-end vs run of the mill spec grade) and those have been ordinary occurrences. If someone did distinguish them in the same type of test, that would be extraordinary.
The claim by Markw4 does not appear being presented as a "universal truth", as being backed by anyone else (or perhaps by his dog barking once or twice) to warrant being defended in the manner you suggest. It seems that your responses to members in general is one whereupon members are been perceived as asserting "universal truth" that could warrant the kind of evidence you appear demanding. There is rarely any evidence of that.
When did ordinary vs extraordinary claim discussion become the universal truth discussion? I don't remember reading Markw4's post saying so.

Is my claim an extraordinary one? Also, do you now acknowledge that Markw4's post was a claim and not a "statement of opinion"?
Notwithstanding previous posts, there is a distinction between "statements of opinion" and "statements of fact". A claim can be a "statement of fact" or a "statement of opinion". "A fact is a statement that can be proven true or false. An opinion is an expression of a person's feelings that cannot be proven". The "claim" by Markw4 appears a statement of opinion, yours is presented aa a statement of fact. At issue is if harmonic distortions and other artifacts, as visually depicted in measurements, can be heard. Secondly, if the testing encompasses all manner of noise (as not signal), as being identifiable or otherwise, as to support the conclusion that Markw4's "statement of opinion" is false.

I recently compared an SMSL Su-9n DAC to the SMSL AO100 one. Both have harmonic distortion artifacts below 140dB (as tested by AudioScienceReview ("ASR")). This suggests that if the full scale dynamic range was set to reproduce an actual jet engine sound at 120dB SPL a test subject would need to resolve harmonic distortion artifacts at 20 dB below the threshold of human hearing, or at -20dB. Of note is that the threshold of human hearing is determined in an anechoic environment, whereupon any background noise corrupts that resolution. This suggests that for physical detection of harmonics to occur under such circumstances, the threshold of human hearing is being enhanced by 20dB (to -20dB) as a function of the presence of a jet engine being reproduced at 120dB SPL.

The conclusion is that a claim presented as "statements of fact", specifically that artifacts heard are caused by such low levels of harmonic distortion, are too far fetched to imagine. Hence any double blind, or otherwise, as could still result in some form of detectable outcome, can't be attributed to their detection. It can only be something else.

With that said the SMSL A0100 was found sonically superior to the SMSL Su-9n. Of note is that the SMSL Su-9n has technical performance data nearly identical to the Gustard X-16 as indicated in reviews by ASR. In turn the Gustard X-16 DAC was compared by the Absolute Sound in their review of the Topping D90SE, being found sonically indistinguishable. All DAC's use variant ESS Sabre DAC's and have XLR outputs. The costs and the D/A converters employed are as listed below:

Topping D90SE $1169 Canadian with MQA (ES9038Pro)
Gustard X-16 $649 Canadian with MQA. (2x ES9068AS)
SMSL Su-9n $520. Canadian no MQA. (ES9038Pro)
SMSL DO100 $299. Canadian no MQA. (2x ES9038Q2M)

Despite evidence presented herein being of questionable interpretation, and that AKM D/A's are perceived at least marginally superior to ESS devices in previous experiences, the SMSL DO100 is considered at least as good as the Topping D90SE, making the SMSL a substantial bargain in this grouping of DAC's.

...suggests that if the full scale dynamic range was set to reproduce an actual jet engine sound at 120dB SPL a test subject would need to resolve harmonic distortion artifacts at 20 dB below the threshold of human hearing, or at -20dB. Of note is that the threshold of human hearing is determined in an anechoic environment, whereupon any background noise corrupts that resolution. This suggests that for physical detection of harmonics to occur under such circumstances, the threshold of human hearing is being enhanced by 20dB (to -20dB) as a function of the presence of a jet engine being reproduced at 120dB SPL.

The conclusion is that a claim presented as "statements of fact", specifically that artifacts heard are caused by such low levels of harmonic distortion, are too far fetched to imagine. Hence any double blind, or otherwise, as could still result in some form of detectable outcome, can't be attributed to their detection. It can only be something else.

Feel its necessary to comment on some of the above reasoning, just in case anyone reading isn't familiar with some related issues:

Thresholds of Hearing are not absolute limits. They are estimates of an average value for a population. In this case, 'average' refers to the concept that 50% of the population can't hear below the limit, and the other 50% of the population can hear below the limit. Also, such thresholds are measured with sine wave test signals. Modern research into human hearing is now mostly conducted in the field of "Auditory Scene Analysis." https://www.frontiersin.org/article...is (ASA) refers,sound waves reaching the ears.
It is becoming increasingly apparent that human hearing is much linear and time-invariant than had been previously assumed by some people. It means sine wave derived measurements cannot be assumed to accurately apply to more complex waveforms. Nor can dB SPL numbers necessarily be accurately added and subtracted from each other as though they were taken from measurements of a much more linear and time-invariant system.

IOW, the arguments about jet engine SPL verses Threshold of Hearing SPL numbers cannot be assumed to represent reasonable modeling. Quite the opposite. We all know from experience that loud noise is deafening.

IMHO what we measure is HD with simple sine wave test signals, since the results are easy to interpret. Some people assume those numbers represent actual distortion levels possible during music playback.

OTOH, what we hear when we listen to reproduction of a 100-piece orchestra playing dynamically changing volume level and including harmonics from each instrument, must amount to 10s of thousands of frequencies present at once. What is the total level of IMD we should then expect? Below the 'Threshold of Hearing,' whatever it may be for the actual complex time-domain waveform?

All the above having been said, we still know there is more to delta-sigma dac artifacts than we would expect from a simple analog linear amplifier. Assumptions about linearity and time-invariance as being no more that 'weak' effects in such dacs would seem to involve an unjustified leap of faith.

I recently compared an SMSL Su-9n DAC to the SMSL AO100 one. Both have harmonic distortion artifacts below 140dB (as tested by AudioScienceReview ("ASR")).
With that said the SMSL A0100 was found sonically superior to the SMSL Su-9n.
Looking at ASR measurements SMSL SU-9n suffers from similar issues as Topping D90 which were already discussed earlier in this thread. The noise skirt is much bigger and wider than in SMSL DO100. The cause for this is probably Vref noise and clocking issues. Whether or not that is the reason for any audible differences is another thing altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.