The Black Hole......

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Oh, true. However the JBL engineer was a US phono holdout. He's probably right that if one starts in the analog domain, best to stay there
I used to think like that, then I engaged my brain one day.

Myself, I like the one dac channel per driver approach. Just make it a good dac, and a good power amp, please :) Of course, not a phono user myself...
Fine to have a preference. I just can't see why one would tune a DAC to death and then have a crossover that at best matches within +/-1dB between speakers and is very limited on what you can correct without throwing massive power away. Unless you have full range unit and then you have different problems to deal with.

I just can't see why one would tune a DAC to death and then have a crossover that at best matches within +/-1dB between speakers and is very limited on what you can correct without throwing massive power away.

I'm fine with good digital crossovers. If someone wants all analog for phono and use of passive crossovers, there can still be further correction applied for digital playback. Yes, some power is sacrificed. The alternative is some data conversion damage to phono. For those that don't hear that particular issue, its no loss for them to go all digital which they would probably be well-advised to do in that case.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the cross talk, but it leaves me in a position of 'cannot resolve'.
On sine waves I cannot hear any artefacts, but I'm still bemused by what I hear.

I agree with a point about conditioning, something I said on another forum some time ago; sometimes we can reject what is actually more correct because it produces cognitive dissonance.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The alternative is some data conversion damage to phono..

That argument only holds for the few misguided individuals that refuse to listen to digital in any form (and forget how many of their precious LPs went through a digital delay line). For the rest of us, especially when unburdened from having to sell anything we can muse over an optimal signal path and go a real step forwards.

I'm fine with good digital crossovers. If someone wants all analog for phono and use of passive crossovers, there can still be further correction applied for digital playback. Yes, some power is sacrificed. The alternative is some data conversion damage to phono. For those that don't hear that particular issue, its no loss for them to go all digital which they would probably be well-advised to do in that case.

There has not been virgin analog since modern times (look ahead cutting lathes).

There has not been virgin analog since modern times (look ahead cutting lathes).
Yeah, the "modern" ones use a digital delay to the cutting head, but I've heard about using an extra tape head ahead of the usual heads for the move-the-cutting-head-moar signal. This of course also assumes you're mastering (in the old-fashioned sense of the word) from tape.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Theoretically, sure.
I don't know if its possible to get a dac today that doesn't do that stuff to some small yet slightly audible extent.
With class D amps its getting bit more interesting since Bruno Putzeys started talking about a type of memory-effect-IMD from hysteresis in the iron core output inductor.

How ironic for the Hi-Enders.
Their whole audio dream-chain is full of iron. Microphones, tape heads, phono cartridges, input-output audio transformers, headphone-loudspeaker transducers.

George

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
How ironic for the Hi-Enders.
Their whole audio dream-chain is full of iron. Microphones, tape heads, phono cartridges, input-output audio transformers, headphone-loudspeaker transducers.

George

What about the claim that ferrite EMI filters cause problems?

I bought about 10 from RS Components and have clamped them around my mains cables and around some of the signal cables (common mode).

I have not measured the increase in inductance but the theory says any HF common mode noise will be attenuated. I might get to do some measurements in the next few weeks once the new phono amp is out of the way.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
That argument only holds for the few misguided individuals that refuse to listen to digital in any form...

Maybe so in your experience. Don't know anyone here who fits your description. People listen to digital, they just don't think its better than the best analog. Best digital is getting closer though.

Also, there are still some collector reissue all-analog phono records made from original master tapes. There is a place in Sebastopol, CA that makes them, for example.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
People listen to digital, they just don't think its better than the best analog. Best digital is getting closer though.
You cannot seriously believe that?

Also, there are still some collector reissue all-analog phono records made from original master tapes. There is a place in Sebastopol, CA that makes them, for example.
Fools and money are indeed soon parted. Electric recording company at least give you some authenticity for your $300 reissue.

You cannot seriously believe that?

I don't hear it myself, not sure what they are listening for. Don't have a phono here and haven't listened to someone else's long enough to figure it out.

Fools and money are indeed soon parted. Electric recording company at least give you some authenticity for your $300 reissue.

Oh, not necessarily... can't talk about any specials...

In any case some people buy them, listen to some, and for some others hold them awhile unused then sell them for whatever the market is a few years later. It can pay for the ones kept making those effectively very low cost or possibly even free. Capitalism at work, you know.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
and for some others hold them awhile unused then sell them for whatever the market is a few years later. It can pay for the ones kept making those effectively very low cost or possibly even free. Capitalism at work, you know.

There are much better investments. And future value is not measure of either muscial worth or quality. Rudy Van Gelder hated vinyl and did transfer a lot of back catalogue to digital yet the blue note vinyl releases in mint form sell for silly money. Funny old world.

The M2s are at my house right now. The big Sound Lab electrostats also here kill the M2s (slight exaggeration, but I don't want to overuse the word 'better'). That's with the M2s on analog power amps. Using the Crown class D amps it isn't even a fair fight, the M2s lose badly.

Note: Very possible the JBL M2-approved Crown amps Richard ended up with aren't the finest sounding class D amps Crown ever made. They are I-Tech 5000, original version.

After reading way too many of your posts repeating ad nauseum your dac arguements, I believe the people at the M2 vs Salon comparison. I dont believe your claims of super hearing. So I donr believe any of your other claims.