The Black Hole......

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just recent,y hooked up my old TV to my system plus Apple TV. Enjoying some HR Big Band playing Bach via YouTube

Digital ain’t half bad!

Attachments

• 6D5CE643-1703-43DD-AE39-FC79331ABADD.jpeg
    6D5CE643-1703-43DD-AE39-FC79331ABADD.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 230
Joined 2017
Paid Member
It’s pretty good I’d say. The HR Bigband stuff is quite well mixed.

The bass on the little KEF LS50’s is really amazing but you do need to drive them with a big (ie >100W) because they are not very efficient.

I haven‘t heard these ls50, but they‘re praised a lot. Mine are the 101-2, with a Onix oa21, like them a lot, too! (Amp camp amp was not powerful enough, alas.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Last edited:
Does anyone have any personal experience of class D amps sounding poor or compromised?

I'm interested in any criticisms of Icepower amps as I have speakers powered by them.

I've had them for two years, and cannot 'settle' with them, they produce so many surprises, and rather like my cat, are unruly in what they do.

I just about think I know them and then; 'Christ what was that?"

They are either super revealing, or, and I'm worried that this may be so, they may be seriously flawed.

Not as same pedigree as Icepower or Ncore and my hearing is not perfect. I had Arjen Helder Tripath TA2020, Cheap Chinese no brand TPA3116, TDA7498. TPA3116 only worked for few days. Still have TDA7498. All were good on midrange. Subjectively Best was tripath. But all lacked punch when driven loud on rock music. TPA3116 and TDA7498 has little bit hint of gritty sound.

Just out of curiosity, I would seriously like to hear powerfull Class D amp with 2nd harmonic generator.
Regards

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Interestingly, the Devialet (600 Watts IIRC) was used to dried a pair of Graham Audio ‘Vote’ speakers and it collapsed. No can do.

On the other hand, a certain class AB amp rated at a mere 240 watts had no problems rattling the monster.

Ok, it is a very, very nasty load but said amp can deliver 60A peaks.

Does anyone have any personal experience of class D amps sounding poor or compromised?
Yes.

Fine for subwoofers in hi fi systems. For concert sound reinforcement they can be fine.

Not good for critical listening in hi fi systems. Call them tizzy, grainy, distorted, whatever that sound is subjectively to a particular person.

To have the best idea of what they do, it helps to listen on an otherwise ultra-low distortion system. Then the audible contribution of the amp alone can be more clearly discerned.

Note: The foregoing is IME and IMHO only.

Last edited:
TPA2020 being only 20W into 4 ohms will only have 'punch' on rock music with VERY efficient speakers. I do have one I was given that I am tempted to try sometime.
you are correct. Unfortunately I no longer have TA2020 with me neither the custom speaker that I used to connect with it.
I grew up listening to Class AB amp. So sometime I wonder how much that influences the preference. New development vs sound that one is used to.