The 'Circles of Doom'.....Open baffleless full range speakers.

For instance - your output at 100mm spacing is only ~0.8dB higher that at 200mm.....
Yet you moved the posterior driver of the clamshell 20% further away from your mike.....
(500mm measuring distance to the front of the anterior driver)
could this not be accounted for by simply the increased distance from the rear driver?

As distance between the drivers increases you will get to a point where there is rarefication in front of driver A when it is traveling rearward. The air coming off the back of the driver will go straight around to the front, significantly reducing D. When the driver spacing is small the air from the back of driver A will head around to the back of driver B, a low pressure point. To me it appears this begins to stop happening when the spacing of the drivers is a bit less than their diameter.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You can upload an mp4 file up to 9.54MB
Youtube link is OK

George

Attachments

• att.jpg
    att.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 180
To see the air movement inside the clamshell, I guess one could copy what they do in sailing, adding streamers to see the airflow on a sail.

It would be easy to add little 3 or 4cm strings, held with tape, and place a few around the cones and bezel to see how the air moves.

Nice!
Looks like it will be DIY wind tunnel for me tonight:D

Any other suggestions - gratefully received!

Joined 2002
Paid Member
vous êtes les bienvenus (“parakalo”) :)

Interesting topic.

I had built (*) two small sized woofer enclosures (internal dim. In mm: Width 470, Height 420, Depth 155) intended as multimode woofer jig for 12inch woofers.
One woofer fixed on front panel, one woofer fixed on rear panel.
That rear panel could be removed (turning into one woofer open back enclosure) or replaced with a normal panel (turning into one woofer sealed enclosure).
When with two woofers, both could be driven, in series, in parallel or individually, in phase, out of phase. When one woofer only driven, the electric terminals of the other could be left open, shorted or loaded with a resistance.

All these can be tested on this rim to rim compound woofer at discussion (with small excursion woofers, no spacer is required).

I have withdrawn those boxes from use. I had better results with a single woofer (*) on an open baffle

IMHO for woofer and focusing on in-room bass, mic measurements give comparative results with acoustic feel only when mic is placed >>1m from the drivers, especially so when there is more than on woofer at play.

(*) as helper woofer for a FR on OB

George

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    700.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    645.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    615.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    709 KB · Views: 198
  • total spl.jpg
    total spl.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 194
Funny you should mention it!

I have only recently found them as it were - I have a pretty mad eclectic taste in music - from EDM, to Classical, to prog rock, all sorts.

I saw a tribut to them last year (I think it was their 50th anniversary of their first album or something) and thought - 'wow this is different!!'

Since then I have been working my way through their albums - and of course - if it came out on vinyl - then I want to hear the original!!!

Agreed - loving them! Had Three Friends on last night - they are such incredible musicians!

Difficult to eye ball, but it seems that you have 6 dB only below 70-ish Hz? Above that it’s more like 3 to 4?

Yeah - I think this is not real - further measurements after this confirmed 5-6dB fairly well, I actually wonder if this is to do with the dipole behaviour of this configuration ('super dipole' dispersion) and room modes - not something we have yet dared to try to measure! Or because the acoustic centre was altered by removing one driver......possible none of the above. :)

Really if we are trying to get to the bottom of this - it will require two identical amps, two identical drivers, and an outside measurement rig, to do proper polars outside at a decent distance over 1M - a fair bit of work....

Maybe over my summer holiday!

Attachments

• IMG20210720195612_compress0.jpg
    IMG20210720195612_compress0.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 112
Only because all amps are not made equal, how are we certain power outputs change proportionally at 2ohms, 4ohms, 6ohms, 8ohms, etc.

i.e. does your amp deliver 50 watts at 8 ohms, and 100 watts at 4 ohm,
or 50 watts at 8 ohms and 75 watts at 4 ohms?

For instance the new NAD C388 (first one I googled!) has these specs:

IHF Dynamic Power:
8 Ohm 250W
4 Ohm 350W
2 Ohm 400W

So I guess - just to remove any possible confounding factors (especially as we are dealing with a dB here, and a dB there!)

But you are probably right - just me being overly cautious.

William - a couple of comments.

First, thanks for the measurements. The more data we get on different arrangements and with different sizes of drivers the better we will be able to understand what is going on. I hope to make my own set of measurements with a pair of 15" drivers in the next day or so.

The plot with the drivers sealed in a tube vs nude suggests to me this arrangement is behaving as though there is a slug of air simply moving back and forth between the two drivers, when they are mounted reasonably close together, not two different to b. in this image:
[image]
The top plot also suggests this is true up until it all falls apart around when the spacing aproaches the chassis diameter.[/image]
[image]
I think we have to be careful at this point to draw conclusions. The dip could be related to the chassis diamater, or it could be that the distance means that, at that frequency, the sources are no longer "acoustically close", which was an underlying assumption in SL's model. Measurements over the same range of separation but with e.g. larger drivers might be able to differentiate between these two possibilities.

I believe the measured gain is simply from the increased path length of driver one rear to driver two rear as opposed to driver one front to rear. Linkwitz calls this "D" in his calculations. A second driver, a larger baffle or a winged arrangement (eg H baffle) can be used to increase D. A second driver can only increase D by so much.

Attributing the effect to an increased rear-to-rear pathlength would seem to go against SL's model. I have pasted the page below. The separation distance between the driver centers (he uses d2 for that) does not contribute to the magnitude, H(f). Rather it is only d1, which is the effective front to back pathlength for a single driver. It seems counter-intuitive, but that is the result he presents.

compound-dpl.gif
[/image]