The diyAudio First Watt M2x

Okay, dropped in the Antek with 20V secondaries and I'm now in the ball park... As some rad above, I had some 22V secs from another project and was going to use them, but I was getting almost 28V rails even with the SLB supply.

I have 24.4 as a low and I can take it up to about 26.5 on the rails. :) BTW the one mono is done, it look marvelous. I didn't hear anything funky from the PWM for the fans either, but I also have the M2 mounted to the rear cover and all the noise making stuff is a foot away. The trans is in the open and I heard nothing with my ear and inch from the speaker.

Now it's on to the second mono and finish off the daughters.

After that, might attack the Honey Badger, just so I have some muscle. :)

Last edited:
Current status: M2x boards stuffed and in their final resting place (unless the thing sounds really bad).
I made a sloppy frankenstein Ishikawa with stuff I had around (not MJ approved);). I am going to test this out first. I am waiting for Tucson parts OPA604, I think I will go with that in the end.

I had some nylon standoff for the mainboard and some brass ones I machined back in the day for the add-on card. Bought the Al ones but did not have M3 screws.
This is an enclosure I made circa 2006 overbuilt to hell. I think it should be able to handle 160W dissipation.
I am still debating around the PS ideas, now that the universal PS is back in stock I have some other options to play with.
I may trade off the increase voltage from the butta' board (SLB) rectification, and burn that off with a higher R of the CRC and forgo the capacitance multiplier at least during initial testing.

Attachments

• IMG_5149 2.jpg
    IMG_5149 2.jpg
    986.9 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_5148 2.jpg
    IMG_5148 2.jpg
    892.7 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Given the proximity of the Edcor transformers to the middle of the case, you will definitely need to use a well shielded power transformer. The Antek AS-4218 has a steel outer case available for it. Place it as far forward as possible. The store PSU boards are a good start for a decent supply. Your choice of rectification will yield about 22V to 23V on the rails.

@Tungsten,
the case maybe wider than it appears. Here is a shot with the trafo and the butta' board.
I went for the mosfet position being centered onto the heatsink for optimal cooling. I can build something arounf the trafo if it needs it.
I am used to transformers outputting more Vs than needed and being undersized in Cu meaning they wind a whole bunch of extra coils so that the voltage settles to the rated V under full load. Historically, I always upsized my transformer chasing that deeper bass...:violin:
I decided to not do that this time.
I am using an antec 200VA 18+18 which looks plenty big enough to support the system. We'll see how that goes.

Attachments

• IMG_5151.jpg
    IMG_5151.jpg
    976.2 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
Unfortunately a single Antek AS-2218 will not be sufficient for that build. A pair would work if you were willing to go with a dual mono configuration, without the SLB CapMx boards. Due to the voltage dropout of the capacitance multiplier, you would need transformers with 20V secondary windings to get the preferred voltage on the rails.