The diyAudio First Watt M2x

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Beardy - Yes, I completely agree, but that might become a logistical challenge, we'll have to see. Impossible? No. Worth selling independently? Need to see.

Anyway, builders will have the other 4 buffer cards laying about, so I may not be that big of an issue -- you can only use one at a time... :) :) :)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
When pcbs become available form the store it would be great if you could buy pairs of the daughter boards independently - they may have utility as building blocks in the mad adventures of diy...

Currently we are seriously looking at a plug interface, probably 20 or 26 pin
dual inline for the purpose of having modular amplifiers. This would
mean a variety of output stages that can be mated to a variety of
front ends without having to modify or adjust.

These would have open interface, so that people can come up with their
own modules if they like.

Very cool,

I am currently playing with LTSpice to derive some simple buffer that will sit on the front of your SIT-3 concept (but using higher gain transformer and 2sk180), which appears to need a second buffer to drive the honking great Vfet.

Unfortunately my wife inadvertently threw 5 matched pairs in the trash when `clearing up', so am currently passing through the acceptance phase of loss.
:rolleyes:

Joined 2011
Paid Member
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the diyAudio store decides to offer blank PCBs in exactly two different SKUs: (i) a set of 2 main M2x "mother" boards plus a set of 10 "daughter" boards; (ii) a set of 10 "daughter" boards only, without the main boards. These would have catchy marketing names like Full_Board_Set and Experimenter_Pack, for example. This is not a recommendation, more like a hazy prediction.

Meanwhile, M2x buyers are of course free to buy and sell any unwanted or "excess" boards, among themselves. I'm confident that a large number of M2x buyers will only build two Ishikawa boards (original Nelson Pass / Toshiba JFET design) and get rid of the other eight, to name one example.

Fortunately the Forums here include a Swap Meet area which is perfect for this job. In fact I have started a thread there myself, which swaps around spare copies of the M2x Tucson daughter card. Here it is:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/322656-fs-m2x-daughter-cards-type-tucscon.html#post5433599

Feel free to start other threads. FS = for sale ; WTB = Want To Buy.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Got the Boards Today. The daughter boards are so small. They look good.

Here is Mountain View and M2x. Banana for scale.

_

Attachments

• banana.JPG
    banana.JPG
    491.7 KB · Views: 1,212
Joined 2011
Paid Member
From California to Canada it first must pass through Customs and other bureaucracies whose goal is to vex you with unnecessary delays and penalize you with unfair extra fees.

When you do get it, see whether you can make out my handwritten description of the contents on the US Customs form. (Bottom left). I think it may give you a smile.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
From California to Canada it first must pass through Customs and other bureaucracies whose goal is to vex you with unnecessary delays and penalize you with unfair extra fees.

When you do get it, see whether you can make out my handwritten description of the contents on the US Customs form. (Bottom left). I think it may give you a smile.

Thanks Mark! I’m patiently waiting and looking forward to receiving your package. I’ll make sure to have a magnifying glass on hand just in case. 😬

Edcor quoted me 8 week delivery and (I was lucky!) shipped in just 2 weeks. I called Mrs. Edcor (marketing dept) to say Thanks and she warned me, "Don't get used to it!".

From past experience with those transformers, it appears they made a run of them when the schematic of the M2 was first published or they are very simple to build. I order from Edcor for tube builds and the wait time use to be around 3 weeks. The last 2 orders this year took slightly over 8 weeks before they were shipped. Nice transformers for the price though so worth the wait if one plans ahead a couple of months.