The "Elsinore Project" Thread

I would suggest that building enclosures from CNC cut panels is the way to go.
In years gone by I have built enclosures cut on tables saws and I've found panels not to be exactly the same size and sometimes not really square.

With CNC properly cut panels it is a real pleasure to assemble. They all fit together just right

All the best
Steve

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
CNC time is expensive. If you have trouble with table saw panels then you need more practise and maybe a better table saw and if you are paying someone to cut the panels one assumes that person has both.

We do quite a few frugel-horn flat-paks and use the CNC to do the sides (which are far from rectangular and have dados) and the baffle (because of the rebate) and all the rectangular pieces with a table saw. Doing the latter with the table saw costs less.

But if you want to pay extra to have a CNC do an incomplete job then go for it.

CNC is not a panacea.

dave

Hey Dave,

Further to my previous post. I don't build speakers very often and paying to have the panels CNC cut is a "god send". Just think of all the expensive tools I don't need to own or know how to get the best out of. I would suggest that for us occasional speaker builders that CNC _IS_ a panacea.

Just my $0.02

All the best to everyone
Steve

Hello,

I'm always thinking of upgrading my Nomex 164 from TG, a 2.5 way wich use the same drivers than the Elsinore.
What about the buil quality of the HDS 830875 ?
I've read that now they were build in China and the build quality was not the same than four years ago.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Further to my previous post. I don't build speakers very often and paying to have the panels CNC cut is a "god send". Just think of all the expensive tools I don't need to own or know how to get the best out of.

If you are paying someone to do the job, you don't need to buy any tools, and you would pay less to get the same panels. Now if you can't find a professional with a table saw then the CNC defaults to the only option.

It does seem really silly to get a CNC to cut the panels that a good operater with a table saw can do with less cost and not do the tricky bits where the CNC shine. All the rebates can be in the CNC file and it is no real extra work for the CNC to do all of those.

I would insist on getting the CNC to do the tricky bits and make it worthwhile to go to the CNC.

dave

Hi Dave. If you have a look at the way the Elsinore cabinets are constructed (following Joe's instructions) there is no other CNC/Sawbench/Router work to be done other than the cutting of the panels to size, speaker and terminal post cutouts and rebating of drivers. No other tricky bits to do. The cabinets were designed to be very easy to build for the first time builder. If the company doing the CNC work is doing it for a reasonable price then why not. Done this way it's far more likely to entice someone without high levels of woodworking skills to have a go.

To be clear, Chris, the CNC provider here in Melbourne _IS_ doing all the cut outs and rebates as per Joe's Elsinore design. In fact it was Chris who created the CAD files for me when I first built my Elsinores. And Chris can program / cut any other profile or design required from MDF, composites, plastics, ply etc.

All the best
Steve

Stuff that is ideal for a CNC to do, but from an earlier post, not done by this CNC provider.

Whew! What a read! Another Melbournian here, by the way.

What an amazing and epic thread. I've learned so much in reading over the last few weeks. While I won't have the space or money for a project of this magnitude for quite some time, I'm certainly inspired by all the stories from folks who've built these.

Also, great to hear there are local folks around my neck of the woods who have built these, as well as some contacts for cutting projects, should I need it.

Joe, thanks for making your design public, and to everyone else, thanks for sharing yoyr builds and experiences.