The "Elsinore Project" Thread

Hi all, I built the v6 about a year and half ago and am now looking to upgrade my amp. I don't particularly want to spend more then $1500. I listen to a wide range of music but mostly acoustic/vocal and electronic. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.

Hi Damijan,

ICEpower 125 ASX2 SE ;) or maybe 50ASX2 SE has enough power to drive the Elsinore, I will know in few weeks :)

Juhazi is using those modules in his project Aino-gradient :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...aborative-speaker-project-48.html#post4231049

Last edited:
Hi Damijan,

ICEpower 125 ASX2 SE ;) or maybe 50ASX2 SE has enough power to drive the Elsinore, I will know in few weeks :)

Juhazi is using those modules in his project Aino-gradient :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...aborative-speaker-project-48.html#post4231049

If you are in oz, check out Private Hi-Fi Classifieds - StereoNET

There is always cheap high-end tube and SS amps to be had, just research any gear that comes up.

Speaking of which, I have lined up some very nice metal plinths for my upcoming Elsinores :)

My favorite (and just so happens is my amp) so far is the Monarchy SM70Pro. They can be used singularly as a stereo amp or as a pair of monoblocks in bridging mode. They are made in the states and I reckon a single one would come in very close to your budget. They run class A up to 15w then class AB after that. I can attest that they sound very good. Here's a link to the webpage.
Monarchy Audio

Hi all, I built the v6 about a year and half ago and am now looking to upgrade my amp. I don't particularly want to spend more then $1500. I listen to a wide range of music but mostly acoustic/vocal and electronic. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.

Joined 2010
Paid Member

Have you considered Aspen Amplifiers? They are based in Melbourne and also have a section on diyA. I have no personal experience with their products, but have come across good reviews and testimonials. Mr. Hugh Dean, the designer, is also active on the diyA forums.

Last edited:
SM70 Pro

My favorite (and just so happens is my amp) so far is the Monarchy SM70Pro. They can be used singularly as a stereo amp or as a pair of monoblocks in bridging mode. They are made in the states and I reckon a single one would come in very close to your budget. They run class A up to 15w then class AB after that. I can attest that they sound very good. Here's a link to the webpage.
Monarchy Audio

I concur with irext's recomendation of the monarchy SM70 Pro amp. He heartlessly brought his pair around and connected them to my Mark 6s. There is no going back. I am waiting for my pair to arrive from the states

If you are in oz, check out Private Hi-Fi Classifieds - StereoNET

There is always cheap high-end tube and SS amps to be had, just research any gear that comes up.

Speaking of which, I have lined up some very nice metal plinths for my upcoming Elsinores :)
Yeah I live in Brisbane. Been looking on there for a while now. Picked up a few goodies on there. Which plinths did you get?

Monarchy Audio
How do they go in stereo mode? Not sure if I could get two at once. Especially with the exchange rate and shipping.

I am running a high current version of the Pass F5. Sounds wonderful.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass...-your-diy-pass-amplifier-226.html#post3622636

Plus, I built it, which, always has it's own rewards. ;)
I've had my eye on this design for a year, I'm just a little concerned with my abilities to build them. I figured out how to do the crossovers (even then I made a small mistake) but to take on an amp???? Was it a complicated build? I rather build something myself if I could

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I've had my eye on this design for a year, I'm just a little concerned with my abilities to build them. I figured out how to do the crossovers (even then I made a small mistake) but to take on an amp???? Was it a complicated build? I rather build something myself if I could

Complicated is in the eye of the builder. ;)

My build is not a stock build and contains multiple modifications in terms of parts and implementation. The standard F5 is fairly straightforward and there is a nice build thread that takes you through the process and steps involved.

That said, if this would be your first build, I would hesitate to recommend a power amp if nothing more than the voltages/current flying around in the box. As with all electronics, care must be taken when working with power.

I would say your ability to successfully build it depends upon your aptitude with electronics. After all, a large part of building your own amp would be to understand the underlying principles; how it works and why it works. In that manner, you can pretty much build any amp you envision meets your criteria for good sound. Mistakes are always going to happen. I learn as much if not more more from my mistakes than my successes. Lol.

Sorry if this sounds like I am evading an answer, but only you know your comfort level with electronics. You could always build a Amp Camp Amp to see if the process and practice is something you enjoy and can successfully execute. That way you have not tied up a whole lot of time and money in the exploration.