The "Elsinore Project" Thread

If you go back through this thread you will see that I realized my error and corrected it by re orientating all the inductors on this pcb. I have since made two pcb's for the crossover with the HF and LF sections on separate boards with all inductors separated and orientated for minimum cross coupling. the original was my first attempt but since then I have learned a great deal from wise people on this forum.

I don't mean to seem harsh, but, this is a good example of how not to place inductors - it's better to space them apart more, but particularly important when they're this closely space is to have each inductor perpendicular to the ones near it.

Here is an often replicated image illustrating the point:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Xover MK5-6 05-09-15.jpg
    Xover MK5-6 05-09-15.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 746
What type of cap are you using for C1? It looks kind of small compared to the Jantzen. Just curious.

It's SCR Chateauroux MKP-PB 400VDC, they're (only !) rated 6+ by Tony Gees when Jantzen Audio Superior Z-Cap MKP is rated 11+.
I use them for years and I find them sounding very good with my actual system.
They are made in France and are very cheap compared to Superior Z-Cap, price is around 3 €.

Attachments

• PB_36.jpg
    PB_36.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
When I first fired my Elsinore's up (2011) I used a Solen SCR cap for C1 and used them that way for around six months. After doing some research I upgraded to a Jantzen Superior Z cap and was blown away by the difference. I was, up to that point, quite a sceptic regarding boutique caps but I can assure you the upgrade was well worthwhile. I didn't find the Jantzens to be outrageously expensive (in Aus anyway). I am now a convert.

Food for thought.:)

It's SCR Chateauroux MKP-PB 400VDC, they're (only !) rated 6+ by Tony Gees when Jantzen Audio Superior Z-Cap MKP is rated 11+.
I use them for years and I find them sounding very good with my actual system.
They are made in France and are very cheap compared to Superior Z-Cap, price is around 3 €.

When I first fired my Elsinore's up (2011) I used a Solen SCR cap for C1 and used them that way for around six months. After doing some research I upgraded to a Jantzen Superior Z cap and was blown away by the difference. I was, up to that point, quite a sceptic regarding boutique caps but I can assure you the upgrade was well worthwhile. I didn't find the Jantzens to be outrageously expensive (in Aus anyway). I am now a convert.

Food for thought.:)

You know you have to do a "blind" test before you can know if there's actually a difference, or bias is fooling you - yes, bias can have an effect stronger than most people will believe until they actually see for themselves.

Of course, if the uF value is slightly different, then there actually could be a difference in sound.
:D

Last edited:
I think the only way to do a proper evaluation of an improvement is to listen to the device in question for some months, listening to many different types of music which you are very familiar with and get used to how they sound, then make the change. Direct A/B comparisons can be misleading unless the difference is very large. I can assure you the difference I noted when changing C1 for the Jantzen was not bias or imagination as I was not really expecting much or any change at all. I was somewhat of a skeptic beforehand but the difference I noted after the change could not be ignored. I then found out that Joe had specified this cap in the build.

You know you have to do a "blind" test before you can know if there's actually a difference, or bias is fooling you - yes, bias can have an effect stronger than most people will believe until they actually see for themselves.

Of course, if the uF value is slightly different, then there actually could be a difference in sound.
:D