The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Ah, I understand now. As I recall Ronald’s significant other didn’t like the idea of the subs to begin with but he cleverly put some ottomans that were roughly sub-sized in the room so she would get used to the idea. I think as long as the subs come with seating cushions he should be fine.

Clever.
If I had little space to spare, I would experiment with 4 subs in the size of a box meant for one sub.
Never tried it, but it would calculate like:
Going from 1 to 2 subwoofers, but isobarik, halves the required box size.
Then double the woofers, e.g. impulse compensation, doubles the required size again. Now we're at single sub box volume again.
Would be interesting in seeing spl figures compared to single sub.

It’s been awhile since I played with isobarik configs but I think you would need to account for the volume of the additional drivers and the space between the isobarik pairs when calculating your single box, 4 woofer cabinet. That would increase the total size required compared to a single woofer cabinet.

Aha! So Magico Qsub is the inspiration for your subs?

Good choice!!! I see you have matched the appearance, but 136 db at 1% THD is a daunting challenge, even scaled down to a 12" driver.
So what did you think of the mass loading GM spoke of. One of my concerns has been to have less weight than would be optimal in my enclosure.

I'm already considering bags of sand disguised as cushions on top :).

Your inner bracing panel looks exactly like mine.
It seems to work well enough for me, as the only bracing in 70l boxes made with 22mm MDF panels.

At loud volumes you will have whole other things to worry about than a vibrating cabinet. Issues like room ceiling flex, cracking up walls, having to reset your coffee table to it's original position. It's fun the first couple of times but it wears off after you break your last dinner plate lol. But serious, get some velcro lol.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. Subwoofers are omnipoles after all. The annoying things could be leaks and the hissing that produces. Creaks and rattles I would be surprised if you get that seen how well the cabinets are built.

So what did you think of the mass loading GM spoke of. One of my concerns has been to have less weight than would be optimal in my enclosure.

I'm already considering bags of sand disguised as cushions on top :).

I dislike over design almost as much as I dislike under design. I sincerely hope the Magico is over designed because if its not, then almost everything else is under done. Sometimes, as I think is the case here, overdesign is part of the marketing strategy. Other times, its done to avoid underdesign when the boundary between the two can't be clarified.

As to our LAs. If anyone has a concern in the weight regard its me. I can carry one of my line arrays under each arm without strain and I have a bad back. But I can't feel any vibrations coming through my 12mm cabinet walls. No doubt there are more serious issues (e.g. the room) I need to deal with before that becomes a concern.

To ease your mind, ratio the weight of your moving cones to the total structure. I'm sure they swamp it. Whatever vibratory motion results is easily absorbed by the damping layer I'm sure you have between your aluminum front panel and the rest of the cabinet. Can the audio pressure variation come through your thick, braced sidewalls? I doubt it.

IMO, weight isn't the only way and likely not the best way to silence cabinet walls. Wood needs a totally different approach than aluminum in any case.

Your inner bracing panel looks exactly like mine.
It seems to work well enough for me, as the only bracing in 70l boxes made with 22mm MDF panels.

At loud volumes you will have whole other things to worry about than a vibrating cabinet. Issues like room ceiling flex, cracking up walls, having to reset your coffee table to it's original position. It's fun the first couple of times but it wears off after you break your last dinner plate lol. But serious, get some velcro lol.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. Subwoofers are omnipoles after all. The annoying things could be leaks and the hissing that produces. Creaks and rattles I would be surprised if you get that seen how well the cabinets are built.
You have quite a bit of subwoofer power, did you ever play the song: "Lullaby" by " A Perfect Circle"? Should be fun!

But for the subs, consider dignity and mounting gasket and or granite top to keep it frolicking back and forth, tho I don't think your driver is big enough to do that
Neh... I think you're right. The subs are rather small, I can always try to add a bit of weight on top. They do have industrial type vibration damping feet.
My towers are about 75 Kg, compared to the moving mass I'm not worried there.

Why such specific gaskets?
Are you going to fill them with nitrogen?

You have quite a bit of subwoofer power,
It's stupid, really. No sane person would ever 'need' this, even EQ'ed flat to 8Hz like I did, especially in my shoe-box sized appartment.
did you ever play the song: "Lullaby" by " A Perfect Circle"? Should be fun!

Nice one!

So far, the lowest notes I heard in music is in Boris Blank's "Licht Haus". It just keeps dropping right until the end of the song.

Anyways have fun building and listening. I have been on and off following your progress for years now and will continue to do so in the same fashion.

Mechanical damping is also "temporary theft" of energy - often reactive so it will spit a lot back... later...?

//
if it spits it back later, its not damping

"Sorbothane® is a proprietary, thermoset, polyether-based polyurethane material with a superior damping coefficient. It is a material that exhibits visco-elastic properties, meaning that it performs like a liquid under load and like an elastic solid when at rest, by converting the energy’s frequency to heat. Sorbothane is a fabricated specifically for use as a damping material."