The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

You are going to be just fine, and that's an understatement.
I'm looking forward to reading your first listening experience.
What kind of music are you into?

That varies...

Favorite band of all time: Led Zeppelin

Other honorable mentions;
The Doors
Frank Zappa
Pink Floyd
Ayreon
Steve Vai
Van Halen
Whitesnake
Queensryche
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Dio (solo and other stuff)
And lots and lots more, in other words a lot of (classic) Rock
Other genre's (like pop);
Yes
Genesis
David bowie
Peter Gabriel solo
Robert Palmer
Crosby Stills Nash & Young
10CC
Godley & Cream
The Police
Fleetwood Mac
etc.
And lots more, very apparent I grew up in the 80's with love for 60's and 70's music ;)
Soundtracks like;
John Barry
Hans Zimmer
Ennio Moricone
etc.
Electronic music;
Infected Mushroom
Yello
Boris Blank feat. Malia
ELO
etc.

And lots of tracks I picked up due to this strange hobby.

With multiple small drivers you can do more tricks too.

Do you think JRiver can do this?
start using 1 woofer at low volumes, and when the linear limits of that woofer are almost reached, start adding signal to a second one and so forth.

Not exactly like that but you could program something along those lines.
JRiver is just a (capable) music player with standard DSP features, on top of that you can load VST's for creating endless possibilities.
One can add all kind of tools to do as you like.

The claim inside here that I just copy paradigm and hope for the best I take as a direct insult.... it may be the other way around....

What I am looking for is just something to play music very well, without compromise and any dynamic limitations, whatever is being fed in there :p
Space and size constraints imply that I probably need to go "compact"
Don't take anything I said as an insult :) The point was to say look at the drivers they used in that design. There was a reason for that. Use that to inform your own design.

Maybe define what "compact" means to you and how much space you have to use.

Take wesayso's subs, they had to fit in the space available the constraints limited the options.

attachment.php

I feel left behind... from top to bottom: B&C 18SW115-4, Paradigm 'like' with 6x 26W, my own build with the 30W.

Attachments

• subwoofers.jpg
    subwoofers.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 278
I've never really got into Jazz, however I do tend to like Jazzy songs if you know what I mean.
I do love things like Dinah Washington, Ella Fitzgerald etc. but I'd gather that under the things I picked up due to this strange hobby.

There is so much more out there that's wonderful, too much to mention. I tend to like the older recordings, in comparison the 80's were a lot of hit and miss.
But some new stuff is fun too, like Rival Sons and I do have some new Pop songs I throw in that hit it big on the Radio. Some of those image quite nice despite being crippled in dynamic range. They actually are listenable.

Don't take anything I said as an insult :) The point was to say look at the drivers they used in that design. There was a reason for that. Use that to inform your own design.

Maybe define what "compact" means to you and how much space you have to use.

Take wesayso's subs, they had to fit in the space available the constraints limited the options.

I think compact .... is relative and much larger than what most better halve's would consider compact. It's really up to find what suits acoustically and also estetically as I work with my residential living room.

My better half thought that Sonus Faber Aida sized speakers would be good so I don't seem to have any sizing constraints coming from that side (I would never ever be able to afford those speakers though, and that's also way too large)

The short answer is that I don't know yet as I am in the process of building the layout of the living room of a flat I recently bought. At some point I need to do some real size mockup's to see how things work physically and couple that to simulations for a start :p

Maybe I will make a limited size prototype with one or two drivers with same relative volume size for the drivers and test out how they are doing :p

Last edited: