The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

As I recall, the sims predicted 30Hz. Add room gain and probably lots of SPL there. Amazing from a 3.5in driver! The surface area is the same as a 15in driver so that is how it does it. Sheer volume displacement.

It is amazing how low they go, but you need to be carefull in big rooms.
Even though they have the surface area of a 15" they do not nearly have the x-max of a 15". So unless you put them in the corners:

In my room they still, ultimatelly, need a subwoofer to get the weight and authority in the bottom octave or two.

Koldby

That is the reason why I have them in the corners :)...

I have a high pass filter active to relieve them under ~30 Hz. Room is 8 m x 4 m but listening area is ~ 4m x 4m

First impressions are crystal clear sound and very coherent. I'll save the real listening impression for after the measurements.
I have them running without any EQ as TV speakers right now. Much better than the Panasonic Viera TV sound but no match to the EQ sound.
I'll hook up one of the tape-outs of my amp to my line in on the PC one of these days. It seems I have no real need for the Behringer EQ as the
PC has much more possibilities. Already viewed some favourite movie songs with my 8 year old son. He's very anxious to re-watch a lot of the movies
with this new sound.

Last edited:
Introduction-a.png

As said... I think I'll throw it on here with my website embossed onto it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I´m a part time photographer so maybe I´ll visit the Netherlands some time soon ;)

Like Kolby was getting into it is also my opinion that the added benefit of a sub is worth considering, especially in a dedicated home theatre setting. The square coverage equal 15" but displacement does not. For hifi use and within sane listening levels no sub is quite liveable :)
I run mine all the way down to 20hz which they do with relative ease, at the expense of reduced max SPL obviously. However they can be preeeettyyyy loud still :eek: :D (freq. sweep of mine are attached, Wesayso´s should extend even further having 5 more drivers per side than mine does)

My two main impressions/benefits from the arrays is - crystalline sound and superb stereo imaging, both in 2D and 3D. I recently spent a full hour in front of mine with the sole intent to locate the cabinets with eyes closed, I failed to do so miserably. They were gone, despite my precise knowing of their physical whereabouts. Sound image extend outside the cabinets by a large margin.

Wesayso related to me in a PM that he was unaware of the actual sound level present in the system until he tried to make conversation with others in the room, I have had the exact same experience. The arrays do not "feel" loud, yet they pack a really hefty punch. "Clean" sound feel less intrusive/of lesser intensity than it really is. Clean sound is a pretty good quality indicator.

This is a truly a stunning amount of work, attention to detail and all - that hopefully have culminated into something that will put grins on Wesayso face for a loooong time. :eek:

Attachments

• etter-at 15-300hz.jpg
    etter-at 15-300hz.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 1,253
Last edited:
I won't exclude sub woofer builds in the near future. I got the extension card for the Sonar Essence card I run for further experiments about half a year ago. I'd run 2 or 3 12" subs and would have full use of EQ and time alignment on all.
I might try something like 4.3 :D (no, the surround speakers wouldn't be like the towers).
For now these image so well I don't feel the need for a center speaker.

I won't exclude sub woofer builds in the near future. I got the extension card for the Sonar Essence card I run for further experiments about half a year ago. I'd run 2 or 3 12" subs and would have full use of EQ and time alignment on all.
I might try something like 4.3 :D (no, the surround speakers wouldn't be like the towers).
For now these image so well I don't feel the need for a center speaker.

I used to use my center speaker aswell, I dont use it any longer :)