The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Or perhaps you just subjectively prefer the coloration of the Soekris DAC (a DAC using the ancient R2R architecture, and not known for accuracy or transparency)?
Could be. At least they do one thing right: they stay detailed at very low listening levels.

In the meantime, I removed the three Rg resistors on one Fusion 253 plate. This reduces gain factor 4.7. This brings quite an improvement in low level detail. The output noise level is greatly lower as well, only audible in the tweeter anymore. And you need to put your ear close. Naturally, max SPL is reduced by the mod, but the amps can still play loud enough for me. I generally play about 13 dB higher in volume, giving me about 2 extra bits.

Sound is still quite different from the channel with Soekris DAC. But not clearly worse anymore. Some aspects are subjectively better (e.g. tightness) and some worse.

I wonder how sensitive the Fusion is for input jitter. I cannot recall information about its clock quality and/or reclocking capabilities? Anyone knows something about this?

Fedde

Got a bit more side info from Hypex. Indeed ADC, spdif, DAC communication is always 24 bit. Internal processing is 8.24, so from -127.9 to 127.9. Due to this headroom you can easily boost frequencies without risking clipping as long as the output does not go above 0 dB (see output VU), 1x gain. The processing chain is input selection, master EQ, channel split and then per channel filters, master volume, soft clipping. You could use per channel gain to compensate for boosts to avoid clipping at 0 dB master volume.

Fedde

More issues with this software... I have not installed the newest firmware update yet, mainly because I don't need the EQ and I'm seriously a little nervous to add anything to this software. But I'm having some seriously frustrating issues getting the "Master... Slave" functions to work.

When I set these up, I have the left channel selected as "Master", and I also have the additional boxes under that checked as well (power on when signal detected, power off after 15 minutes with no signal). The "Master" speaker seems to work as it should, except that it won't power on when it senses a signal. It powers down like it should, but it will not power back on. This is problem number one.

The rest of the problems are all in the "Slave" speaker, which is the right channel. Problem number 2 is that I cannot even run this as "slave". For some reason, when I deselect "Master" on this speaker, it always reverts the volume back to -96 every time it powers back on. When it does this, I have to hook my PC back to it and change the volume. The only way I can get it to stop doing this is to make this one a "Master" as well. The downside to this is that it won't switch the xover preset with the other speaker. Problem number 3 is that this one will not power on when it senses a signal either. I have to shut the power switch off, then turn it back on to get this to power back up after it does it's "auto shut-down".

For what it's worth and for anyone new here who hasn't read my previous posts, I'm using a pair the FA503 amps in a TMWW 3-way build. I do not have the remote control for the amps, instead I was hoping to just program the volume for the amps, then use a Bluesound Node 2 as a preamp and source for these. I have the Bluesound connected via a SPDIF cable, then I have a SPDIF cable going from the "Master" speaker's out over to what should be the "Slave" speaker's input (but it won't work as a slave so it's also a master). Not going to beat around the bush, the software for these amplifiers has been a MASSIVE PIA!! I've been through both manuals, and there is nothing that explains why these are doing this or even how you're supposed to set this up, short of what the manual says on page 5... which is kind of a joke.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

@ mattsk8

Softwares sometimes have bugs, so installing a new release if you have problems is recommended in general.

You can select (even in the older software) that at which volume the amp be started, if this function not works for you, then the new software is recommended. Additionally in the new release you can select different levels to wake up and to go sleep for the amp.

By the way, I am overall quite satisfied with the Hypex firmware and software. I think the software is not too hard to use. Setting up some crossovers and making some corrections could be done quickly.

Though I still need to get used to the sound of the new active speaker, sound quality is not yet where I want it to be... Hopefully this will get better with more fine tuning...

Fedde

Though I still need to get used to the sound of the new active speaker, sound quality is not yet where I want it to be... Hopefully this will get better with more fine tuning...
Sometimes a worse measured equipment's sound signature is subjectively preferred, but this does not means that's a higher quality sound reproduction, even if the person thinks so.
So again, higher sound quality means lower deviations from the original, which you play back.

Why don't you try your Soekris DAC to drive the Fusions with analogue signal, like with the NC400?
I use it this way with another DAC with a volume control, but not because of sound signature.

Sometimes a worse measured equipment's sound signature is subjectively preferred, but this does not means that's a higher quality sound reproduction, even if the person thinks so.

Okay, this is not a too humane point of view :), because most people judge the quality of sound with their ears only.

@fedde
I would still be curious to what you would hear if you feed the Fusions with the Soekris DAC as preamp.

@ mattsk8

Softwares sometimes have bugs, so installing a new release if you have problems is recommended in general.

You can select (even in the older software) that at which volume the amp be started, if this function not works for you, then the new software is recommended. Additionally in the new release you can select different levels to wake up and to go sleep for the amp.

I have set the volume to 7 on the amp multiple different times, even tried "Lock" on the volume but it always reverts back to -96. It works when it's set as a Master (it saves this volume setting), but when it's set as a slave it always reverts back to -96 (I think that's the volume it reverts back to) whenever it powers down, then powers back on. I've tried to "Lock" the volume on the speaker, but nothing except making it a Master works.

The other issue is that neither of the amps auto-power back on when they sense a signal. The odd thing is they used to do this fine when I used the RCA inputs, but once I started using the SPDIF cables they quit auto-powering back on.

The master slave setup is an oneway communication channel from the master's spdif out to the slave spdif input. So it is essential the slave has to be powered (mains) first so the master can send all settings when powering up.

Please ugrade the soft and firmware!

I have the last firmware prior to this new one installed, I just didn't install this new one because I didn't see anything in the "fixes" that it was going to do for me. I'll do the firmware and software update though and hope it helps. Is there some sort of hard reset you can do on these amps?? Maybe they're just confused because I've made so many changes playing around with them.

I did the firmware update and no improvement in the volume issue when the one amp is set to slave- it always reverts the volume back to -96 no matter what I do. I see with the new firmware update there is an option to "Force Defaults", which I think is basically a soft reset. Not sure what to do at this point but I think I need to at least try that, this is pi$$ing me off.

The only way this works, which I guess I should be glad I can at least make them work at this point, is to set both amps to Master. This is a PIA for reasons obvious to anyone that owns these amps.

Also figured out that the firmware update didn't seem to help the "power up when a signal is detected" either, neither will automatically power up when a signal is detected. I still have to switch them off, then back on every time. I see there is a "Signal Detection On Level" setting now that wasn't there before, it's basically 1 thru 4. But I'm not sure what is what here, is 1 the most sensitive or is 4 the most sensitive? I have them set at 1 and they don't power on no matter how much I turn the volume up on the preamp.

Last edited:
I have set the volume to 7 on the amp multiple different times, even tried "Lock" on the volume but it always reverts back to -96. It works when it's set as a Master (it saves this volume setting), but when it's set as a slave it always reverts back to -96 (I think that's the volume it reverts back to) whenever it powers down, then powers back on. I've tried to "Lock" the volume on the speaker, but nothing except making it a Master works.

The other issue is that neither of the amps auto-power back on when they sense a signal. The odd thing is they used to do this fine when I used the RCA inputs, but once I started using the SPDIF cables they quit auto-powering back on.

Are you tried to disable the "Volume on start" box? This way the amp start at the last volume level that are used.

Which Shutdown powermode are you using with the digital input? The Standby (<0,5W) mode is works only with analogue input. With digital input, the only option is the Low power mode.