• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Red Light District - another PP EL84 amp

I read the article too Stuart.

Aside from the usual compliments for the great work, I would like to know more about the issue of overload recovery.

A simple question for now: what do you think of driving a power tube (not extreme ones) in a PP with a cathode follower, dc coupled? Are there really advantages in DC coupling (assuming that I don't need necessary A2 drive)?

And if I drive power tubes with a cathode follower, would be cathode bias an option or would you consider only fixed bias? Leds are not applicable here because I would need an insane amount of them :xeye:

Thank you very much.

Walt, it needs some green LEDs for that use!

what do you think of driving a power tube (not extreme ones) in a PP with a cathode follower, dc coupled? Are there really advantages in DC coupling (assuming that I don't need necessary A2 drive)?

The CF is an optimal way to do it. Even if you don't push the output into grid current, you extend bandwidth and (if the CF is direct coupled) prevent blocking. It also allows triode operation. If cost and complexity are no object, that's the way I'd go.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi SY,
My apologies to you. Your MJE340 in the high voltage section is pointing the correct way. I just looked at the diagram too quickly and expected the raw power feed from the right. ;)

The article was good reading.

The Christmas version has some green pilot lights around the power switch. It flashes during warm-up like a Counterpoint! :devilr:

-Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• red-light-reg.gif
    red-light-reg.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,756
SY said:
The complete article on this amp has now appeared in Bas Horneman's diy magazine:

:cop: Compromised URL removed by Moderation

Wow, thats a very impressive article.

Congrats Sy on a truely outstanding project!!

Now, somebody please PM me and explain the redlight symbols meaning? lol
Trout

Last edited by a moderator: