• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Red Light District - another PP EL84 amp

I was getting 450 volts, so I put a 3300 ohm resistor in after the bridge. This brought the voltage down to 390.

Belt and suspenders needed (perhaps) here -- i've found some bulging electrolytic capacitors -- what i did not appreciate is that the line voltage here in NJ, while typically low in the summer months will go over 127, and for long periods of time -- over-voltage on the filter caps causes heating.

I now use a pair of 350V in series with load balancing resistors (220k).

I became aware of the voltage problem when I used to print B&W -- the color temperature of an incandescent bulb changes with current, and as it shifted red the exposure times got longer and longer!

I'm baaaccckk:

Well, it has occurred to me that I may have done a poor job selecting the OPT. I chose the Edcor CXPP21-MS-8.6K. 21W, push-pull tube output transformer for 8.6K Ohms to 4, 8 and 16 Ohms. Freq Resp 20-20k.
My speakers are Lynn Olsen's Ariels. He advises 4 ohm taps.
Well, I have been trying to figure out the effect of different impedances, and I THINK I ghouls have chosen a lower impedance. I have been trying to find info on the effect of this for a pentode, but not having any luck, and my brain is starting to hurt.

So, gurus, before I wire up these OPTs, are they OK to use? I don't mind losing a couple of watts.

Thanks again.
Doug

Well, I seem to be unable to make a Maida reg that regs. First, I am checking it out on the breadboard. I have a 120/240 volt transformer into a bridge, then 3k3 resistor followed by CLC (100u/9H/100u). This gives about 260 volts into a 25k dummy load (about 10 mA.)

When I connect the Maida I get the same voltage whether the pot is set to 100k or 0k, about (220 volts.) The TIP50 checks ok as a diode from pin to 2 and pin 2 to 3. The zener checks Ok. I have replaced the LM317.

Also, there is something funny about the pot. I put a new one in, and it goes from 100k to 0k. Then I put it under power, recheck the pot value (without adjusting it) and it reads 24k. Then it won't go above 75k in the circuit. I checked the pot I took out (because it was doing something similar) and it now goes from 100k to 0k. So, it acts weird in the circuit.

I have re-soldered everything several times. No regulation.

Just to have another pair of eyes on this, this is what I made on perfboard:

Doug_Maida.jpeg

I am stumped.