The Singing Bush

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
bigger, the better

no use going for less than, say, 50uF

there are anyway just two positions where you can place them - as bypass of final rail cap, and as bypass of output cap

ha - don't forget another option - shown with other amps having output cap - in case of bi-wiring, one can use dedicated solid cap for tweeter feed

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I used motor run caps as input coupling and output coupling/bypass caps in my version of the amp. I used 10uF Kemet in both cases. The amps sound great. Maybe boutique caps might sound better or maybe not, but it's not worth worrying about. It's diy. :)

Blocked

Attachments

• board, ps, input and output caps.JPG
    board, ps, input and output caps.JPG
    569 KB · Views: 516
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well, I don't like them exactly for input duty - too big for that level of energy (line level) for my taste, while somewhat more noise prone , both due to size and longer input wires

can't remember do you have buffer there, if you have , small 1uF is overkill an I expect it'll bring more details

I did the first test on a channel today, everything works fine. One thing I have, I can't increase the bias more than 2 A. Can I decrease the R1 value (8k2) on the MU PCB? Or should I do something else? Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• 158126190_20210121_121156_4050576_resized.jpg
    158126190_20210121_121156_4050576_resized.jpg
    924 KB · Views: 361
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
output node is at 35V(ish) and you can't increase Iq?

which pucks you're using?

same situation in both channels?

anyway - do not change 8K2 ....... set trimpot to have approx 10K ( together with 8K2) then slightly increase R3(100R)

you can try step by step with standard values (120R,150R, 180R) or you can put trimpot there connected as variable resistor (mid pin soldered with one outer)

say that 500R is handy value, start from 0R then slowly increase, carefuuuuuuly

interesting, first case of mosfet being lazy .......

Last edited:
If they increase to 35 V, the Iq drops a little below 2A.
That's why I set it to 32 V and the bias is around 2.1A.
I didn't have patience and I put another 8K2 resistance on R1.
Bias increased to 2.75A. I even auditioned, it sounds great!
Until I have a single channel connected to the radiator.
OK, I'll go back to the initial 8K2 resistance and change R3.
Thanks a lot for the quick response, ZenMod !