The Weather

Yesterday was pretty terrible; I recorded 90F indoors by the time darkness fell, dropping a whole degree after having the all windows opened from sundown to midnight. I also recorded 104 outside - in the shade I might add.

Today I put up a hexagonal tent without the rainfly, to try to relax in until the house cools down, which is well after midnight.

A couple DIY solutions to block the sun from heating the kitchen nook and one back bedroom, using silver tarp material. That window glass just re-radiates IR once it gets hot; goes right through the blinds like their nothing. A few dollars at Harbor for the silver stuff - makes a difference in those rooms!

Made it to the lake again, snagging the very last parking spot. Our dog knows what the water offers and began whimpering in excitement as we approached the shore to launch. A fur coat in this must be pretty tough.

Attachments

• DSC02792.JPG
    DSC02792.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC02793.JPG
    DSC02793.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 130
I am no longer taking pics of the temp sensor as the sun is coming around and will influence it (albeit not directly) from this point on. Here it is at 4pm. PDT.

My little buddy appreciates your sentiments Joe. As mentioned, once an hour in the kitchen sink. In between, he just melts somewhere.

Attachments

• DSCN6921.jpg
    DSCN6921.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN6922.jpg
    DSCN6922.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 135
Happy dog is good, they sure don’t do well at all in the heat!

My sister in law took our bulldog for a walk one time in the hot weather, then left him in their car while they went and had dinner.
Came home, finally, with the dog, who was nearly passed out, panting, and turning blue. Some people, I swear…
A cold bathtub and some leftover albuterol-fogger meds got the color back in him after a frightening period of time.

Just hit 109f/43c in the shade here now, haven’t seen anything like this around here before!

Using my Fluke Model 52 digital thermometer and a 3' thermocouple probe, I measured 99F air temp in shade, 140F pavement temperature, and 150 on the weathered surface of a wooden rail. That was at 2pm. There are certainly places where it's gotten hotter; I don't wish to be there.

Once in a century heatwave. I hate it when all-time record highs are recorded sequentially. SeaTac Airport just recorded 108F, the previous record was yesterday at 104F, and 2010 was 103F.

I am no longer taking pics of the temp sensor as the sun is coming around and will influence it (albeit not directly) from this point on. Here it is at 4pm. PDT.

My little buddy appreciates your sentiments Joe. As mentioned, once an hour in the kitchen sink. In between, he just melts somewhere.

:eek:
Is that inside? 110F plus inside? Or was that reading outside? Oh man. Either way, what do I have to complain about? At 9pm it's 86F in the house, I'm guessing we were pretty close to 100F in the house during the high point. Hot but not like you guys out west.

Seemed a little cooler today. As evening approached, got some noticeable air movement outside. Currently sitting out in the tent; after a nice trip to the lake (3 times a charm) and a shower. This time I brought the big plastic sailboard I only paddle around on. My kid used it most of the time; I got a few hundred yard stretch back to the launch without falling off!

Some pics from my $5 yard sale Canon, used a zip lock bag to keep it from getting wet.

Attachments

• Winnie_raft.jpg
    Winnie_raft.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 170
  • Me.jpg
    Me.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 144
  • Family.jpg
    Family.jpg
    691.6 KB · Views: 145
Last edited: