The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many here who wish you well here Andrea and can see through all this negativity and insecurity from those who just plain envy the plaudits you have won as a result of your work.

Hope you do stop replying to these poor souls who have nothing better to be doing, they will go away when we stop addressing them and find some other echo chamber.

Looking forward to more from you in the near future.

This was post #39 from this member, since 2011 when he registered with the forum. 23 posts (58.9%) were in the Andreas clock threads and group buy.

Not policing anything, but just wondering, what draws these outstanding reactions?

Just for info, I cannot send my oscillators to the independent "nazi beasts" at ASR, the AP tool does not measure the phase noise.

I'm pretty sure Amir could get the required tool(s) if persuaded it is worth of. But worst case you could send him a DAC of your choice, with the upgraded and original clock. That would be evaluated using an AP, and if there is any measurable difference, it will appear right away, to your glory and satisfaction.

Oh boy, I keep forgetting, when it comes to SQ there are things we don't know how to measure :rofl:.

There are no sides to this discussion really. Just questions that should be answered. So far, some have been, some not. For one, I am not questioning the quality of Andrea's work. He is not under attack, but he is being asked to justify his claims and choices - nicely.

-Chris

Why ? I ask because there seems to be a drift towards dogma, an arena usually associated with religion as opposed to science.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi rfbrw,
Well, yes. Exactly.

When there is no knowledge, people will run for protection and hide behind whatever idea seems safe. In this case, the entire concept that you could hear improvements in an "excellent" oscillator that can't be measured is a rather bad joke. Yet, here it is.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi minionas,
The truth is never de-constructive. It can be a threat to a fanboy I guess.

There are no co-thinkers I know of. There is knowledge earned through long study and education. Where do you sit? I know where I sit for example. I have an open mind, which is where the questions come from.

So I ask you. If you were to invest the time and effort to change something in your audio system, wouldn't you want to know it was a real improvement? Or, would you rather change things and just pray and believe it was better?

Faith is normally used to hide the truth when answers are unknown or inconvenient.

-Chris

Attachments

• E5052A_Phase_Noise.jpg
    E5052A_Phase_Noise.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 205
  • TWTMC-DRIXO 11286 Phase noise.png
    TWTMC-DRIXO 11286 Phase noise.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 216
I just do not get the point of these attacks to Andrea's work. He has his own approach to digital audio and a line of products according to this vision is being developed.
First product is the oscillator, and the performance has been published resulting on pair with the best oscillators in the market (Mutec REF SE120) at a small fraction of the price. So, what is wrong with that???:confused:
If someone does not agree is obviously free to ignore his work and state his/her opinion as well. But this fierceness seems strange, I have never seen this in any other thread.
This is an audio DIY forum and not the conjecture de poincare demonstration committee. There are Physics and Maths as it should, but not only....
I want to THANK Andrea for his work and ENCOURAGE him to keep on working his way. I consider his products the most interesting in the digital arena right now!

I'm pretty sure Amir could get the required tool(s) if persuaded it is worth of. But worst case you could send him a DAC of your choice, with the upgraded and original clock. That would be evaluated using an AP, and if there is any measurable difference, it will appear right away, to your glory and satisfaction.

Oh boy, I keep forgetting, when it comes to SQ there are things we don't know how to measure :rofl:.

I'm sorry but I don't need to persuade anyone in my life, but of course everyone is free to measure what he wants in the way he believes is right (me aside, if I measure any device designed by someone other I get personal attacks because I'm criticizing the product).

Your short term memory lacks again, my DAC is not yet ready so I cannot send it to anyone.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, claims are made. They need to be supported.

The work is not being ignored. The application and claims are being examined. If someone makes a claim to something, the onus is on them to support that claim in an acceptable manner.

How about this, I have a carburetor that gets 200 miles to the gallon. Want one?

Joined 2017
Paid Member

I wouldn‘t take Amir‘s (except the measurements he makes) verdict as reference. Sure, his equipment is toonotch and it seems he knows how to use it, but his opinions (or verdicts) more than once were more like from „The Sun“ or „Daily Mail“, just not worth the ink or paper…
But that’s me, and I am not qualified [emoji23][emoji56]

Hi rfbrw,
Well, yes. Exactly.

When there is no knowledge, people will run for protection and hide behind whatever idea seems safe. In this case, the entire concept that you could hear improvements in an "excellent" oscillator that can't be measured is a rather bad joke. Yet, here it is.

That I won't dispute but the dogma I was referring to was in the pursuit of our dear clock monger as though he were a diabolical heretic. Maybe he really should expect the Spanish Inquisition. Then again, given his comments on British cuisine, I wouldn't rule out the Witchfinder-General.
In the general scheme of things does it really matter that much ? It is, afterall, just a clock.

Andrea, your analogy to enjoyment of food or wine vs measurement of chemical composition is spot on.
@sebbyp thank you for this post. I was hoping someone would be in a position to compare a system with DRIXO vs a first class commercial DAC. I bet that with a couple of months burn in the 5/6 version might be even closer. Don't let the current bullies drive you out of town. Just ignore. Soon they'll seek fresh meat in a different thread.

Thank you for the message, your journey has been a big inspiration for my own experimentations in digital audio. I'll try my best to stick around but finding it difficult to spend time here. So much so that I've recently emptied my DiyA store cart, as I'd rather purchase audio kits elsewhere.

It's interesting that DiyA allow this behaviour. Digital is clearly a controversial topic but this has been out of hand for 12-18 months. It would be interesting to see text and trend analytics across the digital forums and I'm quite confident it would show a declining engagement. There are two to three characters, who go across the digital forums killing threads sometimes before they even have an opportunity to start. I am unsure what they're gaining, bar unsuccessfully trying to extend their almost cult like beliefs, however it's very transparent that everyone else is loosing out.

People like Ian Canada and Andrea are never going to generate significant revenue let alone profit in this cottage industry, these are passion projects for the benefit of everyone. I cannot understand the judge and jury mentality, it seems counter-productive to the success of the forum and continuation of this hobby :rolleyes:.

-- To add some actual value to my post...

In my DIY dac where I use the Ian Canada FIFO. I have used NDK's, Crysteks, Accusilicon and Andrea's clocks. I don't have the ability to measure phase noise, to identify whether my specific clocks matched their data sheets. However, it is quite easy to identify the clocks through listening - even by my other half who has to be dragged to the chair. When I compare I tend to combine blind testing, short-term and long-term testing whist writing notes as I go (2 tracks to 5 days). I do this using two different clocks for both clock frequencies and this allows me to switch between clocks utilising the same source material (HQPlayer Upsampling). So only two variables to account for. I then switch the clocks to the other frequencies and validate my notes. I tend to allow the clocks to settle for 24 to 36 hours.

We all know what improved power supplies and clocks bring to the table for digital and the type of sonic impact they leave. For me the Andrea clock brings substantially more benefits than the other clocks I have tried in my DIY dac. However, it's all personal preference. I've had a friend who had originally preferred the NDK in my system, for the upfront (in your face) tad harsher/grainier sound as it suits his music preference and it's what he is used to hearing. Over time he has realised, the Andrea clock is far more insightful/realistic sounding and it is now his preference when we explore new music together.

These sessions have become more regular, the more I improve the digital front-end and it gives me great satisfaction that we can enjoy this journey together and indirectly support him on his recovery from a bad bike accident that left him in a coma for three months last year. This is far more important to me than whether the measurements are bang on, as ultimately I am in this hobby to enjoy music as much as possible from the comfort of my house whenever it is convenient to me. It's a shame that some people may take that away.

Status
Not open for further replies.