The XSD Speaker

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Dowel pins now added for precision alignment. 6mm dia x 30mm fluted hardwood type.
XSD-speaker-dowel-pins.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Would have loved to be able to take a road trip to get that flat pack, but oh well. I did get my amps today though. Someone gifted us an Amazon gift card and with what was left over after getting something we needed, plus the reward points I had, allowed me to grab 4 Ayaima A07's for practically free. I figure I might go Left for tweeter and right for mid with other amp to drive a pair of woofers in series (8+8 = 16 ohms) paralleled to another series pair each, so Left drives 16 by 16 for 8 again...4 drivers at 8 ohms and then the right for the other 4 woofers. I'm active/DSP so I can adjust the gains, plus the DSP I'm currently using actually has a 4 channel amp built in so if I needed, I could add those and see which sounds best. Plan on wiring all the drivers to terminal strips so I can reconfigure how they are wired "on the fly" - at least for the 8 woofers per speaker. Just have to get the rest of the woofer holes and cutouts done and the baffle cutouts done and then I can glue up; wire up and fire up. See y'all next year at this rate - LOL.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Oh no, I figured this wasn't like they were on a shelf waiting to be sent! I can imagine the size of the pack, with all it's protective wrapping and packing is fairly enormous. It takes time to do something, and doing it right takes longer.

Amp project is coming right along, and it still has work to be done.

I am thinking about using this slot loaded bass concept in conjunction with a ribbon ob using a BG RD-50 for mids from 350Hz to 4000Hz, then a Magnepan 60" ribbon tweeter for the highs. I am thinking that 6 pairs of the 8" GRS woofer would give me a slot array roughly the same length as the mid ribbon- the 8" would give a 350Hz upper limit which is perfect for the RD-50. I would mount the wings on the back of the baffle to isolate the mid and tweeter ribbons from the bass backwave. Any issues with this idea?

Thanks!

Attachments

• baffle idea.jpg
    baffle idea.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: 1 user
Seems like an even cooler version of Carver's Amazing speakers. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the horizontal spacing between the woofers and the mids, but given the low xo point I'd assume it'd be fine. I'm a newbie though, don't listen to me

EDIT: what are the sensitivities of the mids and tweets? So many woofers might make for a system where the woofers are more sensitive than the mids/tweets, even after baffle step loss, which if I understand correctly is something you should try to avoid

Last edited:
I will be using dsp crossover/correction and tri amping so I can adjust the levels to match.
Ah ok. Even so, I question the need for so many woofers. I am thinking the mids crossed at 350 would run out of steam well before 12 pairs of 8" woofers, and the operating frequency range is low enough that I'd be surprised if they cared about the physical vertical space they occupy being less than the mids/tweets. My knowledge on arrays is scant, however. Definitely wait for the input of more knowledgeable people than myself. Also, I think X prefers questions like these to be asked on his cheap and fast OB thread. Idk though

Last edited: