Topping PA5 (TPA325X) : Is a modification worth it? ?

closed account
Joined 2007
I find the PA5 to be a bit of an odd duck with pro audio balance inputs and consumer level small 5 way binding post outputs. Upon receiving mine I found foremost reaction was the replacing the later with Speakons as the amp was to be used whenever, wherever and my history with binding posts have relegated them to the ash heap upon discovering Speakons. The following are my experience replacing the binding posts.
Cheers,
Vanko
View attachment 1016093

View attachment 1016093 View attachment 1016094 View attachment 1016095 View attachment 1016096 View attachment 1016097 View attachment 1016103

very nice work but the slits in the back plate aid ventilation. Removing them can be dangerous. Of course there is no more room for them now….

very nice work but the slits in the back plate aid ventilation. Removing them can be dangerous. Of course there is no more room for them now….
Oh I think there is more that enough ventilation,
VANKO

Attachments

• speakons 1.jpg
    speakons 1.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 478
Anymore mods being done on the PA5: lower noise 38V DC supply, lower impedance DC power connection? I replaced the AC cord with a heavier gauge using a C14 to C7 adapter and reduced the length of the power umbilical cord in half with some minor subjective sonic improvements. If I can find a used B & K precision power supply cheap--might give it a go.
BPT

Anymore mods being done on the PA5: lower noise 38V DC supply, lower impedance DC power connection? I replaced the AC cord with a heavier gauge using a C14 to C7 adapter and reduced the length of the power umbilical cord in half with some minor subjective sonic improvements. If I can find a used B & K precision power supply cheap--might give it a go.
BPT

I made my own LLC PSU for the PA5, The Connex SMPS300R (single rail) has an excellent ripple (JLESTER measured it VS a Meanwell, and it performs even better). I am also using a special Audio Filter for the AC inputs and good quality cooper cables.

This is a 36V / 8.3A (stock, can be ajusted @ +-5%) 300W LLC SMPS PSU.

Some pictures :