• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TPA3255 Reference Design Class D Amp GB

The CoilCraft inductors are the single largest cost of the BOM at about $24 for 4. The SER series selected are good for up to 30A. The data sheet for the TPA3255 says that the max current limit is 17A (set by 22k OC_ADJ resistor), so the inductor is operating well within its design range. I have used Wurth good for 100A before on other amps but don’t think necessary here. Based on the measurements of this amp coming in 2x less THD vs the factory Texas Instruments EVM implementation with PFFB, I think we can safely say that the Coilcraft inductors are not limiting the performance.
Have you read this white paper? Section 4.1 goes over the distortion performance of the inductors.

https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa701a/slaa701a.pdf

It isn't just the thermal or amperage capacity of the inductor but also how linear it is. I've seen some I(A) curves that are pretty curvy. As far as "limiting performance" goes, TI has another white paper that shows that using higher-performance inductors, and implementing PFFB, both separately reduce distortion but also have a complementary effect. The distortion reduction of PFFB with better inductors, though, is somewhat reduced since there is less trash to clean up, so to speak.

Note: In Figure 22, I think they swap the colours for the MA5172-AE and MA5173-AE (I suspect that the MA5172-AE should be red, not black).

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks for the link - no I have not read that WP yet.
Here is the datasheet for the SER series inductors. The design is very similar to Wurth with flat copper windings and shielded ferrite core. Here is the datasheet:
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/597/ser2900-270685.pdf

In it, there is a plot of change on inductance vs current, and for the SER2915-103, the inductance is flat (very linear) from 0 to 10A and curves down by 10% from 10A to 20A. If you pick the SER2918-103, it is flat through 20A.

Here is the plot of inductance vs current from the datasheet. I am pretty happy with how linear it is. I had spec’d the SER2918 originally but ran into supply chain issues which is why I went with 2915. I think the Wurth equivalent may use the same footprints.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4BADCAA6-03FC-4F57-BC40-25D8816F125A.jpeg
    4BADCAA6-03FC-4F57-BC40-25D8816F125A.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 1,577
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Redjr,
Thanks for the update and glad your amp is still making great music. I have been listening to mine for the past week also and it’s sounding great too.

I am enjoying "Hysteria (Remastered 2017)" by Def Leppard on Amazon Music. https://music.amazon.com/albums/B07...0792TVCTV&ref=dm_sh_NfDyOT0w0rp3kEcG9atfmSNhH

I am wondering if anyone has tried this amp with a big linear supply - like a 400VA 35v toroidal with say, 40,000uF of filtering rail caps? I wonder if it will have more bass authority as we sometimes see happen when a linear PSU is used on Class AB amp.

Btw, if you want a cool track to test your amp/speakers range and clarity, here is a good one.

Check out "Chocolate Chip Trip" by TOOL on Amazon Music. https://music.amazon.com/albums/B07...07WL7NFDM&ref=dm_sh_QEBybRts3AYzA5H5Wj9AUBBrm

Last edited:
You are most welcome!

Your experience with the Connexelectronic PSU and this amp got me to give it another go. The last time I tried it was with the 3e TPA3255 amp and the Aliexpress/ebay EVM clone (blue board) and the SMSPS800RE. It had terrible hiss that could not be eliminated. I even tried adding a CLC filter in between. Finally, I gave up and relegated the Connex SMPS to the heap of unused "junk" boards.

So I dusted off my SMPS800RE and connected to MY TPA3255 Reference Class D amp, and it is quiet! There must be something in JPS64's layout and my extra RFI filters in the circuit! I know JPS64 pays extra attention to the filtering of his on-board DCDC step down circuit to make the 12v and 3.3v auxilary power for the opamps and digital logic. So great news is that my formerly $150 (with shipping) "door stop" of a PSU is now useful again. However, I see no benefit over the $44 Aliexpress LED 800w SMPS that I used previously.

So thank you for testing it with the Connexelectronic.

Let this be a retraction to my earlier comment that the Connexelectronic PSU cannot be used without noise on my particular design of TPA3255.

Hi X,

A silly question but the SMPS800RE is a differential output supply, they also offer a single output version. Which one would you recommend using with your TPA3255 reference amp and why? I’ve tried googling and haven’t really found anything definitive on the pros and cons. Mainly the results refer to SE vs Diff line inputs rather than power supply specifics.

Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
I am wondering if anyone has tried this amp with a big linear supply - like a 400VA 35v toroidal with say, 40,000uF of filtering rail caps? I wonder if it will have more bass authority as we sometimes see happen when a linear PSU is used on Class AB amp.

Hi X. I don't have your amp unfortunately but as you know I just built a version of your transient perfect monitors and I run a hefty unreg psu and a 3e 3255.
525VA 35v toroid gives me 49v and I use 2200uf x 14 cap bank all bypassed with 1uf x 14.

I only tried a MW smps for a short time but u could hear the pwm. Not through the speakers but just from the psu itself. I prefer the simplicity and reliability of using trafo/rectifier/ cap bank. I cant say of its performance against an SMPS...it 'just works'!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi X,

A silly question but the SMPS800RE is a differential output supply, they also offer a single output version. Which one would you recommend using with your TPA3255 reference amp and why? I’ve tried googling and haven’t really found anything definitive on the pros and cons. Mainly the results refer to SE vs Diff line inputs rather than power supply specifics.

Yes, I must have the single rail version.

I have recently tested the Cresnet (MicroAudio) SMPS630-SO and it works superbly. It has built in regulated auxiliary +12v, +3.3v always on. +/-12v switched. Remote turn on with delay and remote open collector turn off output signal for SSR’s. Does not have startup hiccup and can use extra output capacitance even. Very quiet. I can highly recommend these supplies. You may need to request a custom 52v model but 48v off the shelf can work fine. The output is not adjustable.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi X. I don't have your amp unfortunately but as you know I just built a version of your transient perfect monitors and I run a hefty unreg psu and a 3e 3255.
525VA 35v toroid gives me 49v and I use 2200uf x 14 cap bank all bypassed with 1uf x 14.

I only tried a MW smps for a short time but u could hear the pwm. Not through the speakers but just from the psu itself. I prefer the simplicity and reliability of using trafo/rectifier/ cap bank. I cant say of its performance against an SMPS...it 'just works'!

Your experience is similar to Vunce, who recently tried a big linear supply with his TPA3255 and he said it sounds superb. Absolutely silent with no music playing and ear pressed to speaker cone. Here it is with two massive 22,000uF caps with screw connectors and an LT4320 active bridge:
904076d1608713740-xrk-rtr-tpa3255-reference-class-amp-gb2-5156d2b9-b705-46d9-ab85-281f3aeb3b63-jpeg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Folks,
It has recently come to my attention that the RTR prebuilt amp boards were assembled with redundant input caps. Only one of the other was needed and we have nice Selma Silmic II 10uF input caps AND 10uF 16v X7Rs installed by accident on the bottom side. You may or may not notice the sound improvement by removing them. But the Elna’s are probably superior to 1206 X7R MLCCs. Vunce tried removing them and he said it was noticeably better.

Anyhow, sorry about the mixup. They are easy to remove - the 4 big caps on the bottom side. Please see photo. On the other hand, the sound quality and measurements were excellent despite this. Don’t worry about the note on R221 except that it should be 22k.

attachment.php

I have already made a note to DNP (do not populate) these caps on the GB2 going on now.

Attachments

• 7DC563AC-8555-45C6-A1F5-228E7DEFD78B.jpeg
    7DC563AC-8555-45C6-A1F5-228E7DEFD78B.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,461
Last edited:
I measured the background noise floor of this amp with the new Micro-Audio SMPS630-SO power supply. It is very quiet amp combo - almost perfect. Using the new BTSB v1.2P with a balanced line input and no music playing, this is what the FFT on a 10ohm load looks like:

Setup:

Very good - what's your listening impressions of the Micro-Audio SMPS630-SO vs the Aliexpress 800w LED PSU?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The Micro-Audio is designed for audio and so has a lot of built in amenities like always on linear regulated 12v for your accessories or preamp. +/-15v linear regulated that is turned on with main power, and 3.3v or 5v auxiliary that is turned on with main power. There is a remote enable switch that lets you power it up with a 2 second delay. But mostly the sound quality seems to have more weight in the bass department. As you can see from the data, it is very quiet at the mains frequency and it is quieter in the highs too. The Micro-Audio doesn’t have an issue driving a huge cap bank either and adding 40,000 uF between the PSU and amp is something possible (and PCB is provided) with this PSU. Overall, a superior solution. Best of all, you are dealing with Sami, the company owner and designer. He is very responsive and goes out of his way to provide value added customizations and will tailor the SMPS to your specific needs if the request is reasonable. Perhaps one of the best customer service experiences in audio that I have seen.