Trying to improve on a GainCard concept

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hifi said:
Well.. migth be time to try a amp not so sensitive to just about everything?...aaaagh why are you chasing me with tar and feathers =)

I was going to report you to the moderator but I'm feeling kind today...

Is there any successor to the LM3875 from Linear themselfs on the horizon?

/ micke

well I don't know about you, but I'm listening to Elgar thru my crappy PC speakers which I collected from the corridor after someone decided to get rid of them and I'm telling you, they sound a-mazing ! (for the price) I'm not joking: for natural instruments and voices they're killers.
I've been trying to find out what brand the 3" paper cone drivers inside are without success. The stereo chip amp inside looks bog-standard and the power supply - well, let's not even discuss that. If you pester me enough, I'll open them up and have a look at the chip for you. In fact the only thing I think is bad about them is the placky box which rings. The make is "Typhoon" "sound system" btw. With a bit of luck you might find a pic on the web (not in their site.)

GregGC said:

I'm not too crazy about that kind of attachemen to the heat sink as the chip starts heating up the plastic will start expanding and ..... crack. And if not "crack" at least a lot more compression on the chip inside. Unles you have some kind of spring-loading construction.

Greg

Call me a cynic but I'm sure the people who are employed to design the chip case have thought about that. Otherwise the chip would "explode/crack" from it's own heat. Besides, if you're worried, use a low torque setting like Peter does and add another silicone insulated pad in between...

stelios said:

Call me a cynic but I'm sure the people who are employed to design the chip case have thought about that. Otherwise the chip would "explode/crack" from it's own heat. Besides, if you're worried, use a low torque setting like Peter does and add another silicone insulated pad in between...

I know manufacturers use it and I'm not saying it's not going to work. Sure it provides more even preasure distribution over the chip. I just think that the implementation have to be very careful (not that Peter isn't) and maybe there is a bit more hidden stuff behind a picture. Like you suggested, double insulating pad or speciffics about the torque used or bracket material or ....

Re: material choice

Konnichiwa,

stelios said:
I often wonder if the choice of case materials isn't just as important as the dimensions and shape of the case. After all resonance behaviour is controlled by both the dimension/shape choices as well as sound velocity of the medium.

Of course. Dimensions matter as much. I will only mention here again that occult studies and occult numberology can give amazing insights.

Did you know that the movements of ALL Planets can be represented as notes on the primitive tonal scale? They don't make notes in the well tempered scale.

Music of the crystal spheres? Occult numberology and audio? Study of the Metals and origins?

You bet. Sounds like the seven hermetic arts to me.

Sayonara

I hope you ment (and you used) 220 kOhm rather 220 Ohm

I ment 220 ohm on +input,just to put some resistance on input.
Peter said he used 244ohm Vishay there.
220kohm - why???

I figured that my problem is some kind of microphonic/RFI/grounding oscillations.When I move my hands around the input RCA's and star ground point the noise modulates.

Bartek

zygibajt said:

I ment 220 ohm on +input,just to put some resistance on input.
Peter said he used 244ohm Vishay there.
220kohm - why???

I figured that my problem is some kind of microphonic/RFI/grounding oscillations.When I move my hands around the input RCA's and star ground point the noise modulates.

Bartek

If you are reffering to IGC 10k/220k with input cap, the closer to 220k the resistor from +In to GND the lower the output DC offset will be. The concept is described here :http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=259680#post259680 though it refers to NIGC.

Greg

No Greg, here you are way off.
The method of mounting Peter uses here is also used by many manufacturers (like Naim) and is the better mounting method in most cases. The chip is bended less (very importand with broad ones like the LM) than mounted with a screw, the overall contact to the surface is better. The plastic case does not "expand" that much, not even in case of burning through. It is although necessary that the mounting force is substituted evenly on the surface, it is done normally by using non-bending blocks and a torque wrench.

Klaus

Re: Re: material choice

Kuei Yang Wang said:

Did you know that the movements of ALL Planets can be represented as notes on the primitive tonal scale? They don't make notes in the well tempered scale.

Can you tell me what notes do Neptune and Pluto do ? Cause their orbits intersect. And what note do Ceres, Vesta, and millions of other minor planets do ? Must be rather cacofonic.
How do you pick a note for a highly eccentric orbit like Mars' or Pluto's ? Or for a planet whose perihelion constantly shifts, like Mercury ?

Music of the crystal spheres? Occult numberology and audio? Study of the Metals and origins?

You bet. Sounds like the seven hermetic arts to me.
/B]

Sound like lots of c#@p to me.
Glad guys like you are not designing my gas supply. Or brakes in my car.

GregGC said:

I'm not too crazy about that kind of attachemen to the heat sink as the chip starts heating up the plastic will start expanding and ..... crack. And if not "crack" at least a lot more compression on the chip inside. Unles you have some kind of spring-loading construction.

Greg

actually, as the thing heats up there'll be less compression 'cuz the metal bolts (longer lengths needed in this sort of arrangement) expands more.

So spring washers (nice beryllium copper ones are cheaply available) are useful, not to ease pressure, but to maintain it over the heat cycles.

Alex S: actually, as the thing heats up there'll be less compression 'cuz the metal bolts (longer lengths needed in this sort of arrangement) expands more.

you sure? as heat source, the chip is going to be warmer than the bolts off to the side. not much, but enough to compensate for the expansion difference perhaps? and what about the increasing thickness of the plates taking up some of the increasing length of the bolts? (or is that in the southern hemisphere?)

seriously, i'm not much worried about this and am just following along with an interesting quibble. i suspect that the chip is only in danger if the bolts are cranked down too tight; if stressed near fracture, the heating and cooling cycles will likely finish it off in a manner more akin to fatigue than one-time overpressure.

i do like the idea of a sprung system for high end amps though. maybe that can be taken care of more directly by careful selection of bolt and plate material & dimensions alone. plus keeping in mind you want springs that will keep sufficient tension throughout the temperature range.

(yes... i'm just going to tighten my own bolts down till they feel right. but if we must quibble, let's have a good run with it.)

That's how Rowland does it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It would never occur to me that a chip could break because of it mounted this way. I once tried to break the chip myself, to see how the connections run inside. Believe me, it's not an easy task;) Even if it expands, I would first see the bolt heads making dimples in a copper bar, the bar bending, the pad compressing, the thread giving out, before the chip breaks. This is a flexible assembly and it can't damage the chip.

blurb:
"A range of beryllium copper crinkle washers in both metric sizes. These washers have good corrosion resistance, are non-magnetic, and have high resistance to permanent set under compression. They have a number of uses including use as vibration-proof locking washers that will not mark or damage panel surfaces."

Attachments

• beryllium copper crinkle washer.jpg
    beryllium copper crinkle washer.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,485
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.