Wave Energy - The Best Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I am an advocate of "green" sources of energy, I am concerned at the lack of impact studies on the environment due to the extraction of energy from the sources, be it wind, wave, tide etc.

Extract enough energy and you change the environment. How much energy? What is the impact?

I see impact studies on animals, the environment (land usage) etc. What about changing the weather due to extraction of energy from the wind?

What oceanographic impacts will wave energy extraction, or tidal energy extraction result in?
Waves are caused mostly by wind and tides are due to the gravitational pull of the moon. If we extract the energy from either source it would have no impact on the ocean.

If you care, look at the energy levels of a medium level storm, convert that to Mega Watts, you will have some inkling that tidal energy, or wind energy, does not disturb the environment significantly, in terms of affecting the flow of winds and tides.
Animals, above and under water, are another matter.

There is a mountain pass in Southern California that used to be a beautiful place. Riding through it gave one a sense of feeling good and appreciating nature at its best.

Now it is loaded with huge wind turbines and ugly as sin. There is no peacefulness in driving through it like there was before. And that scene has been repeated all over the country and even along our seashores in some places.

There are much better ways to produce electicity without replacing beauty with ugliness.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

on somethign… petrol or electrik?

And i could say the same thing of seeing oil pumps when you are driving or riding. Noisy and REALLY ugly.They smell too. (i visiting many with my dad when i was a kid). And they kill birds. Not as dramatically, but much more slowly.

maxresdefault-126207490.jpg

dave

Status
Not open for further replies.