Worst recorded album you own?

Possibly Motorhead's No Sleep live album on vinyl - technically not great at all IMO. However, it embodies the utter brilliance, raw energy and attitude of the band, especially around that era (1981-ish) and before, and for that reason it is also a masterpiece IMO.

IMG_3762.jpeg

Joined 2009
Paid Member
When I had Breakfast in America on vinyl it was great. The CD came out, and in a matter of seconds, I was cringing at the harshness. I should look for a decent copy it again on vinyl.
My BIA cd sounds great, very similar to the vinyl. No doubt there's lots of bootleg versions of everything out there. The first release CDs I have are the best by far. I don't acquire remasters of anything because they've all been doctored out of performance. Either the FR is out of whack or it's dynamic range is compressed to nothing, or the speed has been altered.

The only remaster/remixes that I will automatically purchase are the ones by Steve Wilson. His ability to extract every bit of information from the original multitracks, then remix with digital models of the original effects is mindblowing. In his remixes the dynamic range normally increases. Check out his work on King Crimson Lark Tongue in Aspic. He always works with the orginal artists to be sure he is preserving the original intent.

Reactions: 4 users
The only remaster/remixes that I will automatically purchase are the ones by Steve Wilson. His ability to extract every bit of information from the original multitracks, then remix with digital models of the original effects is mindblowing. In his remixes the dynamic range normally increases. Check out his work on King Crimson Lark Tongue in Aspic. He always works with the orginal artists to be sure he is preserving the original intent.
His work on Jethro Tull remixes is very worth a listen.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The only remaster/remixes that I will automatically purchase are the ones by Steven Wilson. His ability to extract every bit of information from the original multitracks, then remix with digital models of the original effects is mindblowing. In his remixes the dynamic range normally increases. Check out his work on King Crimson Lark Tongue in Aspic. He always works with the orginal artists to be sure he is preserving the original intent.
A hero of mine! Great ears. I have all of his Yes and KC stuff (and Steven Wilson's/Porcupine Tree stuff too).

Worst recording might be Yessongs even though it's my favourite live album. I have the 90's mini Japanese LP HDCD and it's better that the run of the mill stuff. I also have a Japanese vinyl pressing from the mid 80's that is also better than the typical vinyl release but it is generally reviled as a crap recording from the get go. Poor original machine for the recording (not enough tracks IIRC) and then lot's of add ins afterwards.

I love it though; warts and all!

Reactions: 1 user
"Armed Forces" by Elvis Costello on LP, back in the day made a pair of AR3a sound like two AM car radios placed side by side. RCA albums by David Bowie in the late seventies sounded like first generation transistor, possibly close to the fact.

The vaunted "Famous Blue Raincoat" by Jennifer Warnes sounds like flat, uninvolving digital.

Done right: "Etta James Rocks The House" on Argo Records, in mono.

Reactions: 1 user
I recall the "Hair" original broadway cast album. ISTR the big hit from it was "Good Morning Sunshine" though other bands made hits out of one or two other tunes. I had a Heathkit GD-109 stereo record player with "standard" Garrard 4-speed turntable and a ceramic cartridge that tracked at 5 grams (kinda surprised I remember such details). Other LPs sounded good (as good as one could expect from this system), but this LP had some sort of distortion from something. I've played another copy in recent decades on a much better turntable and cartridge, and while it's "better" I can still hear the same overall distortion. I don't know the source but it's baked into the recording. It's kind of like the first two Beatles LP (which have a similar quality and can be heard on the first CDs of those albums, so it must have been on the tape).

Good Morning Starshine, the AM hit single, was by Oliver and not from either the original cast recording or the Broadway cast recording. Easy To Be Hard was a hit single by Three Dog Night. Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In (truncated Flesh Failures) was hit single by the 5th Dimension. The title song Hair was hit single by the Cowsills. The original vinyl of off/Broadway cast recording was bad, and BroafwY cast recording even worse on LP, and the latter no better in its first CD incarnation. Deluxe reissue with both versions on CD feature better sound, but no was SOTA circa 1968. IMO based on 25 or so CDs of original BroadwY cast recordings from 50s and 60s, sound Q is pretty bad relative to other stuff recorded contemporaneously.

The original version of Breakfast in America had the most laser etched cymbals on the first track. It was likely EQed that way and sounds the same on the Mofi vinyl remaster. The other songs are pretty good, but still very 70s sounding in quality.
Yeah it definitely has a sound, not great, but not horrible either. I don't hear the laser etched symbols, but things get a little splashy at times. It was never a favorite of mine.

jeff