Worst recorded album you own?

. One lp, white cover, with absolutely nothing on it, just CSNY stamp, nothing on lp itself, is some bootleg life recording. Either from tapes, or from mix board. Lots of ambiance, terrible sound quality, some terrible of key singing, but unique. Anyone knows more about this lp?
Bootlegging bootlegs, with consequent loss of any quality the recording had in the first place, was/is common practice. The Great White Wonder, Beatles Get Back sessions, etc were all re-issued many times.

I have several bootleg LPs which have no information at all except a stamp on the cover like your CSNY. Sound quality is usually pretty poor, but there are some good concerts around, sometimes from the soundboard but usually audience recordings. Hendrix LA Form 1970 is a great show but the audience recording allows you to hear the sometimes inane comments like "he's so cute".

Geoff

Reactions: 1 user
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
All of the Amy Winehouse CD's.

What should have been absolute collectors pieces (the music, the voice, the subject matter - what was not to like?), trashed by someone who decided to be overcool* with the recordings.

*overcool - adj. the description of someone, a group or a commercial entity that tries to be so cool exactly the reverse happens and they are uncool or just plain ridiculous. Example: 60 year old men that wear pullovers that hang over their hands - here's looking at you Sting; Apple desktop user interfaces (I finally got my 35 and 37 yr old sons to admit it ain't as good as Windows and one of then is Head of Digital at one of these new fangled companies that's into AI and all that stuff); 60 yr old men that roll their pants up to mid-calf and wear white Converse trainers . . .

Surely you jest? Windows was Microsoft's answer to the Apple GUI. I remember my agency's computer support tech, coming to my DOS machine to fix yet another problem, and when I exclaimed that we should be moving to Apple Mac, he said, "Who needs a graphical user interface?"

I do admit that the current Apple OS is kinda terrible compared to the original Job's-concived design. But this is because Apple has strayed far and wide from the consistency paradigm that Jobs instead upon.

Having said that, I loved coming home to my Apple Mac OS each day from my agency's Windows computer.

All of the Amy Winehouse CD's.

What should have been absolute collectors pieces (the music, the voice, the subject matter - what was not to like?), trashed by someone who decided to be overcool* with the recordings.
I don't think the vinyl is much better. I bought Back to Black shortly after it's release. Even thought it's an EU pressing, bit it's merely ok.

jeff

Reactions: 1 users
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Surely you jest? Windows was Microsoft's answer to the Apple GUI. I remember my agency's computer support tech, coming to my DOS machine to fix yet another problem, and when I exclaimed that we should be moving to Apple Mac, he said, "Who needs a graphical user interface?"

I do admit that the current Apple OS is kinda terrible compared to the original Job's-concived design. But this is because Apple has strayed far and wide from the consistency paradigm that Jobs instead upon.

Having said that, I loved coming home to my Apple Mac OS each day from my agency's Windows computer.
It’s not intuitive. My ‘Head of Digital’ sim is involved in a lot of UX design and says Window’s fares better in this regard.

Anyone remember Word Perfect?

Of course I remember Wordperfect. But it was used on our agency's computers before they switched to Microsoft Word. My recollection is that no-one really liked Word, but we had no choice: the agency's IT gurus decided without consulting the users. Which is also why we used DOS and then Windows.

The agency once actually did a survey somewhere along the line, and Apple interface was favored overall. But it was not going to happed because of (surprise) support issues: IBM/Microsoft had business units that provided support such as installation and configuration management. Plus other companies also competed in this regard. Apple: not at all back then (or perhaps their business support division was tiny and not yet sophisticated enough to support large networks.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
My recollection is that Word was better than WP but buggy as hell and a nightmare to use, Windows or not. Went to the London launch event hosted by Rory Bremner, lots of rah rah to accompany the bugs.

The history of Word is a lesson in how not to start a project or manage it. Stupid deadlines and feature creep resulting in massive stress leading to high staff turnover leading to more stress leading to missed deadlines shortcut testing cycles, buggy product and unhappy users trapped because their companies were Microsoft shops.

"90125" from Yes. I've owned some pretty good sounding gear in the past years, but none of them was able to play that stuff the way I deemed "listenable".
Dull, compressed, badly bandwith and dynamics limited. The drums are kind of chugging, completely unnatural. One of the worst sounding albums (regardless of the vinyl, CD, or any kind of "audiofil remaster" edition) I've ever heard.
Which is a shame because the music was mighty good of its time.

Last edited:
Such recordings can provide a unique experience, allowing listeners to hear not just the music but also the atmosphere of the live event, including occasional comments from the audience.
Absolutely, e.g. for many years the great 1966 Dylan 'Albert Hall' show was only available as a soundboard bootleg. With the Hendrix boots, there are some stellar shows as well as some less so; the 1970 Copenhagen concert, also audience, is just great.

The Hendrix Estate put out some 'official bootlegs' such as the 1969 Oakland show, which is a very good audience recording and you do get more of the audience buzz that on the recording of the previous day's official San Diego recording.

My sister has some good Who bootlegs, including one from Anaheim where Keith says he's going off stage for a "custard enema". You wouldn't get that on an official album!

I have a Beatles bootleg which includes The Rutles' spoof "Cheese and Onions" where it's listed as a John Lennon out-take, most amusing.

Unfortunately, the artists don't make any money from bootlegs.

Geoff

Not just 1980s - Lise Davidsen's Decca CD of Strauss Four Last Songs and Wagner pieces (recorded 2019) has a harsh, shrill sound which makes it really hard to listen to.

A real shame, as her voice seems just beautiful and should be better served, unless it's just my copy.

Geoff