XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

It seems that I permanently bricked my board by flashing it to WaveIO_v6.F2 firmware. (before flashing I run dfucons revertfactory command)
After that it is not recognized by TUSBAudioDfu.exe nor as linux usb device.
The same procedure worked many time before...

Is there a way to resurrect it by some other method? i.e. by short-circuit two pins on the xmos chip 😬

@xcj999 I'll send you a PM to check if all is okay! :)
@ljufa sadly there's not such thing as shorting a couple of pins on WaveIO. Anyway, there's a very good idea though...
A "fast" solution to this would be to rewrite the FLASH content using a programmer, or to replace the actual chip a new pre-programmed one (a rather dumb solution though...), or send it to me and I'll take care of it (time consuming variant but viable...).

Kind regards,
Lucian

Wondering if anyone know if WaveIO Usb can be fed as input to IanCanada's Fifo pi? what i'm looking for is a way to get the Frequency info out (44/48/88/96 etc). I know the monitor Pi gets that info, I also wanted to build a control from that frequency info. The waveIO usb has headers that give that info easily.

Any reference pic would be extremely helpful.

Thanks @dddac . I did some research on my end. Would this understanding be correct?
1. On the WaveIO usb board use the isolated output
1718506482483.png

2. For reference use the Fifo extension board to take input from the waveIO board (this is just for reference, we can prolly directly use the FifoPi input)
1718506851613.png

Then
1. Connect all the GND in the fifo adapter to the WaveIO isolated GND.
2. Connect waveIO DT -> Fifo extension DATA
3. Connect waveIO LR -> Fifo extension LRCK
4. Connect waveIO BC -> Fifo extension SCK

Attachments

• 1718506606824.png
    1718506606824.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
RPi hats are designed for 3.3V data signals (that's what RPi GPIOs output). The isolator requires power supply for the isolated side and you want to keep the output signal around 3.3V, not 5V.
Are you talking about the WaveIO external power (green box) or the FifoPi clean side input (isolator). Sorry a noob question.

The waveIO manual says

The NVE's IL715 isolator accept 5Vdc or 3.3Vdc power supply on the V+ pin to work
So I'm guessing the green box?
1718523129730.png

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry for offtopic. I have Xmos XU208 board from Aliexpress and have encountered an interesting problem, it works good with 5V external supply from KIA7805 but absolutely dead with LT3045 (0.5A) or TPS7A4701 (1A). With those LDOs it even not recognized by PC. I've measured current, whole this board eats 110-120mA at boot and when idle and voltage is ideal 5V... But if I boot up TPS7A4701 first and then connect it to XMOS it works. Any ideas what is wrong with these LDOs and XMOS ?

Last edited:
Hi! But it works from USB, with 0.5A capabilities... Something strange is going on, maybe the reason is in IIS bus between XMOS and AKM dac. I found that XMOS is working and recognized on PC only when I power on by hands 5V from TPS7A to it after booting controller on AKM. Ok, I've made a delay on ENable pin of LDO by RC network and now it starts after 15 seconds after booting AKM but it still doesn't work !!! Finally after that I switch off by button the circuit from TPS and switch on back and then XMOS is working and recognized on PC. Magic :oops:

Hello to everyone, after using the waveio with PCM files only, I would like to try DSD output.
I have build my own dual CS4398 software controlled through arduino. I managed to write the software for using the chinese XMOS board together with my DAC. For this board it works also DSD streaming and I confirmed it with the oscilloscope.

Unfortunately I am not able to have a DSD streaming thorugh the WaveIO board, even if I am using the same player FOOBAR like for the other XMOS Chinese board. I am setting ASIO output with SACD plug in set on DSD only.
Also the oscilloscope confirms that I have just PCM streaming.
I had a tried also with Jriver, but when I set DSD ouput , it says the hardware does not support it.

Actually I always get (right) the PCM 176.4 kHz or PCM 352,8 kHz if I try to play the DSD files as described with Foobar. It smells like DoP.
Assuming what I am seeing is a DoP, I should retrieve L1+L3 or L1+L4 , but I am always getting L5 or L3+L5....

Do I have this problem because of an old firmware in the board?
I have tried to download the files for the update from the following link, but I cannot open the page or the download page...So please, can someone help me?

PCM 44.1 = L1
PCM 48 = L2
PCM 88.2 = L3
PCM 96 = L4
PCM 176.4 = L5
PCM 192 = L6
PCM 352.8 = L3 + L5
PCM 384 = L4 + L6

DoP 64 = L1 + L3
DoP 128 = L1 + L4
DoP 256 = L1 + L5

DSD 64 = L2 + L3