New 12" Full-Range: Fane 12-250TC

As my own waveguide projects have been on hold for a while, I've been helping a friend with his 12-250TC project. He built approx 140L enclosure for it, which is a transmission line. I can't yet comment on how well it turned out, as we haven't had the chance to listen to it in his living room, only in a less-than-ideal workshop space. The most interesting observation so far has been how much damping the pressed steel frame of this speaker affects its performance.

We used sound-deadening matt for car-audio called STP (similar to Dynamat etc butyl rubber matts)

First pic is on-axis and Hor 15 angles of undamped basket:
12-250TC undamped Hor 0 & 15.jpg

Pic 2: Damped basket Hor 0 and 15
12-250TC damped Hor 0 & 15.jpg

Pic 3: Undamped and damped comparison, On-axis / Hor 0
12-250TC damped_undamped comparison Hor 0.jpg

Pic 4: Distortion undamped, Hor 0
12-250TC Distortion undamped Hor 0.jpg

Pic 5: Distortion damped, Hor 0
12-250TC Distortion damped Hor 0.jpg

Pic 6: Damped in different angles
12-250TC damped Hor 0-20.jpg

12-250TC damped basket.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 5 users
'BIB' rules! :cool: "Go large or go home!" (y) Thought you'd learn this 'lesson' well with your BIBs. ;)
True, but I was looking forward to trying some new stuff. I wanted to try some high efficiency multiway horn nonsense. Which isn't small, but I decided to have a modest BIB or two for bass and experiment with mid-high horn configurations.

Also, a pair of true-to-form BIB for the 15 inch Fanes is about the size of my living room. 😜

:)(y)Yeah, > 0.5 Qt drivers really need OB/IB for best overall performance, though depending on the app can perform well in WG/horns as the pioneers proved. :cuss::headbash: :sigh:

Yeah, love 'FR' drivers for nearfield/low volume apps, but when it's time to R&R, etc., need my horns to go 'LIVE'! ;)

Reactions: 1 user
It can still be ordered from Fane directly, but I have no idea if they have stock or that they will accept larger orders only and only from businesses. I prefer the big Fane fullrangers to many of the boutique options. Those are beautiful and probably have strong points, but their parameters are weird and frequency response is all over the place. I'm a little pissed off that the German diyaudio magazines don't test the Fanea. Surely would generate the attention they deserve.

Reactions: 1 user