DIY Class A/B Amp The "Wolverine" build thread

Nice build. What soft start are you using?
A basic one I PCB designed myself,
It can accommodate the biggest thermistors, or any off board Brake resistors with ease.
And I added input and output varistor protection.
Simple 24Vdc from a resistor and cap AC supply, to a rectifier and 24v zener voltage control, with a slow charge cap as the relay On delay.
Low component numbers used, simple yet effective.
I made the PCB very heavy duty.
Uses a standard OMRON 10 amp relay

Reactions: 4 users
same:
01. Scott (SrMcGee)
02. Francois G
03. Richard (ToadMaster1973)
04. 1883
05. A Jedi
06. Quan
07. vasillis
08. Gaetano (ghitus)
09. Fireanimal
10. Theodeosis O.
11. ItsAllInMyHead
12. mahtew
13. 69mach1
Gentlemen and Ladies, In order to save myself time, I will be updating the list when shipped NOT each individual. In order to make it available at a low cost I used USPS first class for US customers only. No tracking unless it's free and I don't remember if it is. The first "shipped" update will occur TODAY and I thank those who were quick to pay via paypal. Also lets thank Anatech who was the original designer and has helped me immensely behind the scenes. Once the shipping is complete, I will search out a proper BOM all resistors can be 1/4 watt a few are precision and I will test with a 9v battery to make sure it'll work, otherwise use 12v supply

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Gentlemen and Ladies, In order to save myself time, I will be updating the list when shipped NOT each individual. In order to make it available at a low cost I used USPS first class for US customers only. No tracking unless it's free and I don't remember if it is. The first "shipped" update will occur TODAY and I thank those who were quick to pay via paypal. Also lets thank Anatech who was the original designer and has helped me immensely behind the scenes. Once the shipping is complete, I will search out a proper BOM all resistors can be 1/4 watt a few are precision and I will test with a 9v battery to make sure it'll work, otherwise use 12v supply
Please add me to the list. USA shipping. Sending you the money to your paypal address. Thank you.

Shipping update!!!

01. Scott (SrMcGee).........shipped
02. Francois G........shipped
04. 1883.......... Paid but need mailing address Gary
05. A Jedi..........shipped
06. Quan
07. vasillis............shipped
08. Gaetano (ghitus)
09. Fireanimal............shipped
10. Theodeosis O.
11. ItsAllInMyHead
12. mahtew
13. 69mach1
14. Bodyslam..............shipped
15. XaQ...........shipped

Reactions: 1 user
For my overseas friends on the list, the cheapest shipping is over $22 to the EU depending on location, it would be more $. In my opinion not worth it. Cheaper to use gerber files and use JLCPCB.com. I linked the gerber files and original thread, I suggest reading through the thread and you'll find the gerber files for the latest revision there. I don't have a business account, otherwise shipping would be cheaper.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2016
Paid Member
I just got the ok from Anatech, to offer his transistor matching design pcb, it is unpopulated and I only have 18 pcb, so first come first serve. The documentation is buried within this website, I can assist in finding it. I'm asking for the cost of shipping and materials from USA, which will vary if your overseas. But if your in the US, I don't see my expenses being more than $8 using USPS first class. To be fair, I'm limiting one pcb per member. Remember I only have 18 boards.
Yes please if I'm not to Late.
I've been really busy and missed this post
I'll PM you my details

Joined 2016
Paid Member
My progress so far.
My caps have arrived for the build, and I've built my soft start unit.
View attachment 1055373 View attachment 1055374
Hi Gareth & Other DIY Members building the Wolvering on the EF3-4 Boards

Just a quick note. I don't want to cause any confusion but it is highly unlikely that you will need D105B & D106B.
Please see the build guide or my image below for the requirements.
Basically if you not running a 2 ohm load or you only install 2 output transistors you won't need these.

For more information please refer to Bob Cordell's book Page 326 of the 1st edition or Page 432 of the 2nd edition.

Attachments

• Natural Current Limiting.png
    Natural Current Limiting.png
    148.5 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2016
Paid Member
New video is up:

Enjoy

- Dan
Just a small note. @danieljw did a great job on the video but to avoid any confusion between the BOM and the video I just need to make a small comment.

It is not necessary to match Q103 & Q104 for the selection of the RCC resistor.
RCC really only affects the current supplied to Q104 and how rapidly Q104 reacts to temperature change.
So the HFE of Q104 is the only thing that needs measuring when selection the RCC resistor.

Keep up the Awesome work on the Videos @danieljw they are just what we need.

Given the parts shortages, it's so pleasing to see, so many builds coming along.
Not long now until the first Wolverine amplifier will live outside of our development team.
Well done Guy's :cheers:

Reactions: 4 users
For my overseas friends on the list, the cheapest shipping is over $22 to the EU depending on location, it would be more $. In my opinion not worth it. Cheaper to use gerber files and use JLCPCB.com. I linked the gerber files and original thread, I suggest reading through the thread and you'll find the gerber files for the latest revision there. I don't have a business account, otherwise shipping would be cheaper.

Hi Greg, as you stated above, it's more convenient for me to use gerber files and Jlcpcb. For about the same cost, I would get 5 pcbs. So, please, pull me of from the list and save the board for another (closer to you) fellow. Sorry if I made you lose some time...

Thank you,

Gaetano.

01. Scott (SrMcGee).........shipped
02. Francois G........shipped
04. 1883.......... Paid but need mailing address Gary
05. A Jedi..........shipped
06. Quan
07. vasillis............shipped
08. Fireanimal.......shipped
09. Itsallinmyhead
10. mahtew
11. 69mach1
12. bodyslam.....shipped
13. XaQ.......shipped

Updated list! Lost a couple due to expensive shipping costs from USA. Inflation is hitting hard here in the US. Please consider a group buy from a
strategically located member willing to start one. $20 or more in shipping alone may not be worth this pcb. Canada should be ok though.

Reactions: 2 users