LSA Signature 80 Speaker

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
1646755585982.jpeg

The LSA Signature 80 speaker is currently in production and should be arriving in the next month or so. I am really happy with how this design turned out. As the designer, of course I think it sounds great. I voiced it for a natural presentation that has clearly resolving highs but is non fatiguing. The midrange is lush and smooth and the chat punch is all there. I figured there will probably be more questions about this speaker as it gets closer to being released for sale by LSA so I am making a dedicated thread for it to provide a forum for questions and answers.

The exterior finish is without question, one fo the best I have seen. The rosewood looks so good, it almost looks unreal. I had to put it under a microscope to see that it is indeed genuine real wood. The craftsmanship is so good, one has to wonder how the cabinet makers can do this sort of thing. I know I can’t get anything like this myself in a wood shop.

1646755611340.jpeg

Design is 2 way ported reflex (50mm dia vent on the back) with 7in aluminum cone midbass driver and 3in planar tweeter in a custom waveguide. Crossover is at 3.5kHz and uses all high quality film caps and large gauge pure copper wire inductors with audio grade non inductive wire wound flameproof resistors.

1646755634505.jpeg

1646755647817.jpeg

Premium Viborg binding posts with carbon fiber accents on custom CNC aluminum plate.

1646755953628.jpeg

Cabinet is 3/4in MDF and 1.5in thick MDF on front baffle finished in gorgeous genuine rosewood veneer expertly applied with a satin finish coat.

Measured (quasi anechoic near field) frequency response is 38Hz (-6dB) and 22kHz (-3dB). Sensitivity is about 84.5dB at 2.83vrms and 1m. Polar response is uniform within +/-2 dB over 60deg inclusive angle for a wide sweet spot. Time alignment is precise and the soundstage and imaging are superb. The XO was designed to allow an easy to drive 8ohm nominal load (probably closer to 11ohms for most of music).

Here is the predicted speaker electrical impedance:

1646755860240.png

Here is the frequency response measurement in room (my lab) on a 40in high stand) - disregard response below 150Hz due to room modes, note the measured acoustical phase response and can be seen to be very smooth through the XO region for great imaging:

1646755803692.png

Have a listen (recorded with iPhone 12 Promax):

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I’m happy to report that the production of the Signature 80’s have been completed. They are getting packed to ship to our warehouse in the USA for driver installation.

Here is an actual production unit fitted with drivers to check fitment. Beautiful looking cabinet build quality. I love the rosewood veneer and the flawless seams.

1654742174880.jpeg

1654742200888.jpeg

1654742220704.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I am in line to receive my new Signature 80 around end of month, so am already committed! But I did have a question for you regarding sound. I listen to a lot of acoustic music as well as jazz. I owned a media company in Spain for 20 years and grew fond of the British Spendor and Harbeth sounds. Now I'm in the States and these speakers are for a smaller room. One thing that has been influencing my speaker purchase is the sound of the mid and top end. I've grown a bit sensitive to sharp-edged, highly directional upper end. Think piano that is piercing once turned up to a nice level. I am hoping the 80 creates good, natural piano, percussion and strings. Your thoughts?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, natural and non fatiguing. I voice all my speakers to have the “Harman House Curve” which has a slight down tilt of the highs from the bass and through research by Harman, has been found to provide the most enjoyable music listening for all genres and is non fatiguing by not having exaggerated “High End” (aka, the “shock and awe tweeter syndrome”) highs designed to give the impression of “detail and resolution” so that the speaker artificially stands out in a lineup of speakers in a showroom.

Response as voiced:
1660753583993.jpeg