⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛🟨🟨
🟩🟨🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟨
🟩🟩⬛🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬛

Joined 2011
Paid Member
How is it a "cheat" to try the same two 5-letter combos, as your first two guesses, on every Wordle puzzle?

Every single "Codebreaking Fun!!" substitution-cipher puzzle collection in the airport magazine rack (aimed at ages 11 and above), tells you the frequency distribution of letters in the dictionary of English. All you need is someone as smart as Mrs. Johnson to take the top ten, most frequently occurring letters, and arrange them into two English words which happen to be allowable guesses according to Wordle. Piece of cake. The whole shebang took less than 90 minutes. Most of which was inept fumbling in Excel :eek:

Wikipedia has a nice article about it, and Google finds many pages with frequency tables (link). You don't have to visit the airport and buy a magazine.

Last edited:
And Tic Tac Toe.
Personally Bill, I like to have a strategy as well. Maybe a little more adventuresome than Mark's but certainly not to the point of nr12. Looking at nr12 guesses 3 and 5 is beyond my ability. I have to rely on a process of elimination.
I don't concentrate always on using all known letters in my next guess.
My guess 5, as I remember was desperation paired with english not being my native language. As I didn't have all letters used in that word, I tried as many new letters I could. This was typing a word with 5 completely different letters that are not (yet) part of the solution. It turned out, that none of them was part of the solution. So now I at least knew what to not use.

Ulf