3D design software?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am redesigning a QUAD ESL 63 speaker and I need to draw some 3D parts so they can be manufactured (probably 3D printed).
What kind of software should I use for that, I assume AutoCad DXF output should be available?
I don't mind paying a (small) fee but it should not have a steep learning curve, and the parts I need are relatively simple.
I'm not designing the next space station.

Any recommendations?

Jan

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
For 3d printing the standard file formats are "stl" or "3dm".
programs i would recommend are freecad (open source) or fusion360 (commercial, but with free option for private/ small business use).
but there are probably many more!

It is intimidating to begin with, but a very powerful software, even in the hands of a novice.

There are videos by Lars Christensen on YouTube that walk through the basics in an accessible way.

Once you have your 3d body created, you can right click it and select 'save as mesh'. This outputs a .stl file that a manufacturer (or a friend with a 3d printer) can use.

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Just keep in mind that output as mesh ("stl") results in a triangulated surface and thus limited resolution, while "3dm" also allows "nurbs" with potentially more accurate geometry.
Fusion360 can export both file fomats.
The 3d printing g-code program i use (superslicer) also reads both file formats.

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to the discussion but I recently finished a pair of 3D printed loudspeakers that I designed using FreeCAD. I exported the files in the STEP format because it retains geometric features rather than discretise everything into tetrahedrons. Slicers (Prusa at least) can use STEP files directly so there's no need to convert. I primarily did this so that others can modify the design more easily since STEP files can be imported into other apps like Fusion 360, although I tend to release the FreeCAD files as well. I'm still in the self-critical phase so I'm not confident enough to release this particular design - it is my first, but here's a picture along with my 3D printed cases for Squeezebox and Class D amplifiers. The case has 12mm thick cavity walls filled with a Plaster of Paris / PVA mix. The drivers are the rather cheap Mark Audio CHN-50 until I can iterate out a design that I'm happy with and move onto more expensive drivers or a multi-driver design.
DSC_1660.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
@jan.didden Thank you. I hope you are progressing yours. I have used Fusion 360 but don't like the license terms. FreeCAD feels quite verbose compared to it and there's a lot of overlap in the various modules with some terminology being counter-intuitive. The biggest problem was being able to reference other parts without recreating drawings. There is a spreadsheet module that can be used for making dimensions parametric, which is really handy for tweaking tolerances but I have a full sheet of everything from the box and driver sizes all the way down to the metric screw dimensions used. The other important feature for me is shape-binders - very difficult to explain, but finding a way to use these was key to getting this anywhere near off the ground. I know you want to avoid a steep learning curve and all of this is a bit more than DXF (2D format?), but if you plan on passing your design to a 3D printing agency then they may expect 3D files. Perhaps I or others could help?

Joined 2021
Paid Member
1703252542320.png

FreeCad user too. Can confirm that learning curve is steep, it's unstable sometimes. So I guess this means it's not useful for you.
When I knew less I had to scrap designs and start from scratch often.
I use it for 3D prints and for CNC jobs.

When I knew less I had to scrap designs and start from scratch often.
Same here. My first few efforts were frustrating but I came from a Finite Element background and wanted to jump in at the deep end with advanced features and expecting the same kind of intuitive interface and workflow. I switched to OpenSCAD exclusively for nearly 2 years before trying again with these. I tried the RealThunder branch for a while but decided to go back to the vanilla version. v0.21.1 is a lot more stable and being more aware of the topological naming issues and changing my workflow around it has made things a lot smoother for me. I'm so glad I gave it another go.

Reactions: 1 user
FreeCAD - if the program need to be free of charge, SolidWorks - paid expensive option.
FreeCAD has decent export to .stl functions, also to .3mf, which is superior format. Perfectly fine to make 3D models for printing, I do it all the time.
I recommend to watch at least 20-30 tutorials on youtube, follow them without skipping. There are some things which are counterintuitive on FC, which you need to follow. It is more than enough powerful to make model of speaker, made from wood plates, partially or totally printed.
The downside is that SW is even easier to learn than FreeCAD

.3mf, which is superior format
3MF is more of a metafile container format that adds useful features such as material and colour coding that make it handy for transfer between slicers and printers rather than a platform neutral CAD format. I would always opt for STEP as an export option over STL or 3MF, at least until an alternative additive manufacturing format comes along that contains geometry defining information such as curves or NURBS.

3MF is more of a metafile container format that adds useful features such as material and colour coding that make it handy for transfer between slicers and printers rather than a platform neutral CAD format. I would always opt for STEP as an export option over STL or 3MF, at least until an alternative additive manufacturing format comes along that contains geometry defining information such as curves or NURBS.
You are absolutely right about 3mf. The only downside of .stl is only straight lined triangles, but if you export model with triangles small enough it will not matter. ,3mf I think has some curves information, but not sure until which level. Probably it is the same triangles as .stl, but the sides can be described as curves.
What really matters, if we are talking about hobby or semi-pro level printing, then in simple FDM style printer you cannot see much if any difference between the same object printed from fine grained .stl or .3mf. The printers themselves are bigger quality bottleneck, even if printing with 0.2mm nozzles (down to 0,05-0,07mm layer height) which is the smallest reasonable size for most printers. What really does matter is to prepare model for printing limitations. This is not fully WYSIWYG. That is my experience. I don't know anything about STEP format, so there I cannot comment.