Acoustat Answer Man is here

Thanks, I assumed as much, appreciate the confirmation.

I couldn't take the original frames with me (wouldn't fit in my vehicle) and they would have cost 3x what I paid for the speakers to ship so I dismantled them, boxed up the panels and interfaces, and drove them home, leaving the frames. I have a good sized wood shop with all the machines and lumber I need to remake them. Hurt like heck to do it but it was the only logical solution. Figured I could rebuild them better than new...

I need any info on the Acoustat MK-131 I have the two flat panel electrostatic speakers,
how old are they and is there a preferred amplifier?

Can I tell the age by the serial number
How do they rate against, say a common home speaker system like a Sony or a Phillips for your stereo...

Attachments

• IMG_5357.jpeg
    IMG_5357.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 9
Help if able please
I am a musician in Australia and have a deceased estate that I purchased in the hope I could use it in my music room.

The Acoustat MK131 (powered to 240V Au)
I am getting sound out of the Rotel RB03 headphone Jack
then sending it to the Rotel RB 03
Not sure what I have to do from there, have tried line out from RB 03 then to the Acustat with no result, any help would be greatly appreciated.
So the mixing desk should simply send to the amps then to the Acoustat.

Attachments

• IMG_5357.jpeg
    IMG_5357.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5362.jpeg
    IMG_5362.jpeg
    592.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5363.jpeg
    IMG_5363.jpeg
    424.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5364.jpeg
    IMG_5364.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5365.jpeg
    IMG_5365.jpeg
    324.2 KB · Views: 18
1. If you search this thread you will find answers to almost any Acoustat question.
2. MK131 is the interface number, not the model. Measure the speakers and someone can tell you the model.
3. The Acoustats need to be plugged in. This powers the high voltage bias on the diaphragm. If the sound is weak at a normal volume setting, do NOT crank it.
4. Try a different speaker to make sure you are getting sound to it from the amp.

Brandon

Reactions: 1 user
I have a pair of Model 3's I bought from a friend back in the 70's or early 80's. For a number of reasons they have spent the last ~13 years in an unheated garage, unused. I'm in the process of restoring my old audio equipment (that's worth working on) and they are on the list. I have two questions. First, are there any electrolytic capacitors in the power supplies? Sitting, unbiased for a long time, they may have degraded hence my question there. The other question is regarding any potential issues since they've been exposed to quite a few humid Oregon winters. I'm mostly looking for suggestions on what to look for in terms of possible problems, based on other owner's experiences.

1. If you search this thread you will find answers to almost any Acoustat question.
2. MK131 is the interface number, not the model. Measure the speakers and someone can tell you the model.
3. The Acoustats need to be plugged in. This powers the high voltage bias on the diaphragm. If the sound is weak at a normal volume setting, do NOT crank it.
4. Try a different speaker to make sure you are getting sound to it from the amp.

Brandon
I will search this and do this, many thanks

Raymond,
It appears that you have the Model 2MH. This is a hybrid speaker with a conventional cone-type bass driver facing the floor. I purchased a pair in 1983 or 83. I don't believe they were manufactured long past the mid-1980s, so your pair is likely to be at least 40 years old. Over time the foam surround (suspension around the bass speaker) can disintegrate, so I would check this. It is usually indicated by an audible scraping sound and distorted bass. This can be repaired with a kit but it is tedious. If they still sound ok, perhaps the previous owner already repaired them.
This two-panel design was a compromise to meet a relatively low price point (for Acoustats). It can be "beamy" and has a fairly narrow sweet spot for best listening. However, they can sound very good when positioned correctly. One piece of advice that applies to all Acoustats is to keep them a good distance away from the wall behind them, at least 2 but as much as 4 feet.

• Thank You
I have a pair of Model 3's I bought from a friend back in the 70's or early 80's. For a number of reasons they have spent the last ~13 years in an unheated garage, unused. I'm in the process of restoring my old audio equipment (that's worth working on) and they are on the list. I have two questions. First, are there any electrolytic capacitors in the power supplies? Sitting, unbiased for a long time, they may have degraded hence my question there. The other question is regarding any potential issues since they've been exposed to quite a few humid Oregon winters. I'm mostly looking for suggestions on what to look for in terms of possible problems, based on other owner's experiences.
There are no electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. There are (5) disc capacitors and (5) diodes in the voltage multiplier that may degrade over time, but nothing catastrophic should happen if one or more go bad. You'll just get low (or no) bias voltage. Being mostly plastic, the panels themselves should not be affected by long term storage in unheated/humid conditions. You may have some dust/debris accumulation in the stator/diaphragm gap, so a careful vacuuming of both sides of the panel may be in order (do this before energizing, with grille cloth removed if possible). Other than that, power them up and see what happens. Allow bias to stabilize for at least a few hours before making any judgements regarding their sonic performance. And be careful not to drive them too hard, in case the bias is low and they are not playing as loud as they should. Driving the speakers harder to compensate for low bias can damage the audio transformers. Standing by to help you get these speakers going!

hey Xstreet
your response is greatly appreciated and keenly considered.
Yes, I can confirm the quality is still amazing yet have the sweet spot. You kind of want to put a reclining chair exactly in the right spot and make a triangle to sit at the tip of the triangle.. and when you do... wow! its like going under water... you can almost feel the line as you move in and out of the best point. Which is a bit crazy... do you have an idea of how much they cost back in the day? How much did you purchase for back in 83? I was 19 then and am nearly 60 now ;) thanks in advance.

There are no electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. There are (5) disc capacitors and (5) diodes in the voltage multiplier that may degrade over time, but nothing catastrophic should happen if one or more go bad. You'll just get low (or no) bias voltage. Being mostly plastic, the panels themselves should not be affected by long term storage in unheated/humid conditions. You may have some dust/debris accumulation in the stator/diaphragm gap, so a careful vacuuming of both sides of the panel may be in order (do this before energizing, with grille cloth removed if possible). Other than that, power them up and see what happens. Allow bias to stabilize for at least a few hours before making any judgements regarding their sonic performance. And be careful not to drive them too hard, in case the bias is low and they are not playing as loud as they should. Driving the speakers harder to compensate for low bias can damage the audio transformers. Standing by to help you get these speakers going!
Thank you! I will heed your advice. The grille cloths probably need cleaning pretty badly anyway.

It's been a long time since I listened to them. I'm looking forward to that moment.

Mark

regarding the MK 11 2MH 1983+- Acustat
We are a music school so here is how they are used and info.
I am thinking of selling them and getting wall-hanging speakers for the room
here is some more on how they are used and any info
What would be the value? can they be sold?

Attachments

• IMG_5369.jpeg
    IMG_5369.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5357.jpeg
    IMG_5357.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5364.jpeg
    IMG_5364.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 9
hey Xstreet
your response is greatly appreciated and keenly considered.
Yes, I can confirm the quality is still amazing yet have the sweet spot. You kind of want to put a reclining chair exactly in the right spot and make a triangle to sit at the tip of the triangle.. and when you do... wow! its like going under water... you can almost feel the line as you move in and out of the best point. Which is a bit crazy... do you have an idea of how much they cost back in the day? How much did you purchase for back in 83? I was 19 then and am nearly 60 now ;) thanks in advance.
According to the audiogon website, original retail price for the Acoustat 2MH was $1295 USD, introduced in 1980. Although the website does not specify, I believe that would have been the price for a pair. Even though it was one of Acoustat's less expensive models, it was still a significant chunk of change in 1980 dollars.

regarding the MK 11 2MH 1983+- Acustat
We are a music school so here is how they are used and info.
I am thinking of selling them and getting wall-hanging speakers for the room
here is some more on how they are used and any info
What would be the value? can they be sold?
Raymond - I am pretty sure your speakers are 2MHs based on their size, the MK-131 interface, and the fact that they have a cabinet with a cone speaker at the bottom.
I recall an original retail price of about $1200 in the U.S. and have no reason to dispute the quoted price of $1295. That would be for a pair. However, the retail price 40 years ago has only a small influence over what the market is willing to pay today. The big issue with reselling Acoustats is their size and weight; shipping is very expensive and cumbersome. I assume that you may have obtained them locally so that's the route I would take (local pickup). Disassembled, the panels (you have 4 total) go for $100-150 each and are far easier to ship. That said, I can't recommend that you dismantle a perfectly good set of Acoustats.

• Thank You