Alpair MAOP 10.2

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mar-KenM10T is the miniOnken for the Alpair 10 MAOP.

Those numbers are anechopic sims, but then you put the speakers in a room. Things change.

Let me repost Matt’s picture of his lovely natural plywood build. @Matt81 Is that hoop pine plywood?

20240203_101525-jpg.1268722

dave

Reactions: 3 users
They're Baltic Birch, with about 8 to 10 (I lost count) coats of dewaxed blonde shellac.

I feel the speakers are pretty well broken in now, really opened up. Vocals, instruments are so realistic. I have put about 300+ hours into them. The detail and imaging is amazing.

Here's a picture of my cat transfixed on the center image.

20240218_113409.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Yeah I was told there's been lots of supply issues with what's been going on in Ukraine/Russia. And that pushed the price up too, but I wanted a premium wood for premium speakers.

Listening to them today at decent volumes really exposes the weaknesses of my small Yamaha wxa50 amp. Time to look at newer amps. And so the audiophile March continues.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
yamaha wxa 50

Inexpensive Yamaha lifestyle product, lots of features at a low price.

53DF9694DE4740C1B8DD4158384C650C_12073_740x579_19eba80f73a0b7377c2067a1dcff4b01 2.jpg

Not that it doesn’t have sufficient power — given its 2.1-ness it is likely A TDA style Class D 4 channel amp with a pair tied together for the bass. 90w is likely a significant exaggeration.

Nothign wrong with the chip likely but everything around it is sucking information out of th emusic and tossing it away.

It is not about more, it is about better.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I’m just guessing. They have to make significant compromises to stuff so many features into such a small cheap amplifier.

It is a lifestyle product, It has its place, but it won’t really come close to be revealing enuff to push the limits of what the MAOP is caple of.

In a hifi all of the bits are important, and despite being the single largest contributor to the voicing (ignoring the room) of a hifi the loudspeaker is the least important.

In this case the quality of the loudspeaker fa routstrips what comes before. too much information is lost before it gets to the loudspeaker.

You can take the audioscience review as far as you can throw it. Give syou some numbers. Doesn’t tell you how it sounds.

dave

Listening to them today at decent volumes really exposes the weaknesses of my small Yamaha wxa50 amp. Time to look at newer amps. And so the audiophile March continues.

Matt81,

You can check with Hugh Dean (AKSA); he is based out of Melbourne. He's on diyAudio (has his own sub-forum); if you are in/around Melbourne, maybe you can request for an audition.

Reactions: 1 user