JEDAC - yet another take on a DIY high-end USB Audio DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I created pcb with only one output and replaced 4134 with 2134 DIP version, for those who like to swap their opamps like me;)

Attachments

• JEDAC2.zip
    159.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 2014-12-07_100038.gif
    2014-12-07_100038.gif
    61.4 KB · Views: 422
Its digital, digital needs a full ground plane for return currents, for best signal integrity...
You are more likely to have problems with a single layer design, to many compromises have to be made. A double sided should be bare minimum for anything other than the very simplest circuit.
I am curious as to what you would define as a poorly designed multi-layer.

Digital signals have a lot of high frequency spectral content. As such, they require strict adherance to proper ground loop current flow design rules. This is much easier with a dedicated ground tightly coupled to the source signal, but this is not impossible to accomplish with single layer design.

I cannot think of a situation where I would choose single layer over multi layer, but I do not agree that a single layer cannot do a high end design.

My definition of a poor design is a design which doesn't perform as well as it could. I am certain I could create a single layer design today which would outperform my first multi layer design.

Hi all,

I've been interested in this project for a couple weeks, but I had a few reservations.
The main reasons are that it is a single-sided board; it was so large; the quad opamp was a bit odd; and I don't use KiCAD. As clumsy and outdated as it is, I and many others prefer Eagle.

I've transcribed the original schematic into Eagle and designed a two-layer board with a ground plane. I also changed the quad op amp in SOIC-14 to a dual in DIP-8. I envision using either OPA2132, OPA2107, AD8620, or LME49720, but any fet-input dual op amp should work.

JanErik, I hope this is OK. Let me know if this bothers you.

I've attached the .sch and .brd files as well as a couple PDFs of the schematic and board layout for those who may be interested. I use Eagle version 6.4 so it should work with anything 6.4 or newer, including 7.1 and 7.2.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I changed the resistors to 1/8W (saved a lot of space), changed the output to 1 pair RCA (two separate connectors for increased durability), and two aux output pads to use whatever connectors you'd want, or to wire it directly to your amp or headphone amp.

Attachments

• JEDAC.pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 118
  • JEDAC Bott lyr board.pdf
    36.7 KB · Views: 116
  • JEDAC top lyr board.pdf
    63.9 KB · Views: 114
  • JEDAC-Eagle.zip
    36.2 KB · Views: 64
  • JEDAC top lyr board.jpg
    JEDAC top lyr board.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 457
  • JEDAC Bott lyr board.jpg
    JEDAC Bott lyr board.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Hi all,

I've been interested in this project for a couple weeks, but I had a few reservations.
The main reasons are that it is a single-sided board; it was so large; the quad opamp was a bit odd; and I don't use KiCAD. As clumsy and outdated as it is, I and many others prefer Eagle.

I've transcribed the original schematic into Eagle and designed a two-layer board with a ground plane. I also changed the quad op amp in SOIC-14 to a dual in DIP-8. I envision using either OPA2132, OPA2107, AD8620, or LME49720, but any fet-input dual op amp should work.

JanErik, I hope this is OK. Let me know if this bothers you.

I've attached the .sch and .brd files as well as a couple PDFs of the schematic and board layout for those who may be interested. I use Eagle version 6.4 so it should work with anything 6.4 or newer, including 7.1 and 7.2.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I changed the resistors to 1/8W (saved a lot of space), changed the output to 1 pair RCA (two separate connectors for increased durability), and two aux output pads to use whatever connectors you'd want, or to wire it directly to your amp or headphone amp.

Thanks but zip file is corrupt. Can you check it and attach again.

The ICs would benefit from small SMD decoupling capacitors next to the power pin.
There is a via very near a pad as shown below, this is a possible short during assembly, it would be better moved away. The route from R23 would be neater if it went directly to R21 then to the IC.

Attachments

• possible short.png
    possible short.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 402
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.