JEDAC - yet another take on a DIY high-end USB Audio DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your USB would be better routed as a differential pair and with SMD resistors. The digital devices need small value SMD X7R decoupling capacitors next to the power pins (the PTH capacitors are useless for local digital decoupling).
I would also move the route that runs next to the cap pins connected to the crystal, and again the crystal would be better with SMD devices to minimise loop area, as would all the digital.
You have slots in the GND plane which is not going to help signal integrity, especially where tracks cross the slots.
For the TPS60501 I would refer to page 18 of the data sheet for the layout and again change the caps to SMD devices as recommended, for best performance (minimise the noise).
layout and board space
All capacitors should be soldered as close as possible to the IC. A PCB layout proposal for a two-layer board
is shown in Figure 31. Care has been taken to connect all capacitors as close as possible to the circuit to achieve
optimized output voltage ripple performance.
C2F

Using SMD devices for the digital side will have many benefits and also free up space to allow you more chance to optimise the layout.

Here's the latest, dual layer pcb, with male USB-A connector on board.

Looks nice! :)

I sent my PCBs out about a week ago, still waiting for them back. I decided to switch to SMD caps and a SOIC-8 op amp (both because of being much smaller and I wanted to use OPA1612) and I was able to get the board size down even further and was able to mount the caps closer to the pins.

Your USB would be better routed as a differential pair and with SMD resistors. The digital devices need small value SMD X7R decoupling capacitors next to the power pins (the PTH capacitors are useless for local digital decoupling).
I would also move the route that runs next to the cap pins connected to the crystal, and again the crystal would be better with SMD devices to minimise loop area, as would all the digital.
You have slots in the GND plane which is not going to help signal integrity, especially where tracks cross the slots.
For the TPS60501 I would refer to page 18 of the data sheet for the layout and again change the caps to SMD devices as recommended, for best performance (minimise the noise).

Using SMD devices for the digital side will have many benefits and also free up space to allow you more chance to optimise the layout.

Thanks a lot for checking and for good suggestions! Here's the new version with most of the suggestions implemented. All power decoupling caps are now in SM1210 X7R and also C5 and C6 which were supposed to be 1uf ceramic according to TI datasheet.

Attachments

• 2015-01-11_114527.gif
    2015-01-11_114527.gif
    85 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
That better, I will have a closer look later...working on site at the moment so in a hotel with limited internet access (their wireless is being fixed).
I do know the little convertors from Ti and others can get a bit uppity with the added inductance PTH devices have.

Hi Marce,

what is the less Noisy : a Sussumu low noise resistor or a RN Dale throughol one ? (both for serie or shunt position to Gnd) ?

Could we have some advantage to mix through hole résistors with smd caps in a design despite the bad looking ? Fo example length of resistor which can avoid a copper trace or make 3 D design to cross at 180° a signal trace ? Is it noise with bad EMC with smd resistor VS the opposite with through hole resistor ?

For the digital side it doesn't matter what resistor you use, for the analogue there is a wealth of info on resistors, I believe the Blowtorch thread has just had a few pages of very good info regarding resistors and noise. I would have a look there, better qualified people than I have put forth there views, views which I will follow.

Hallo, I can´t find TPS60501 in local shops. Farnell and tme don´t have it too. Only MOUSER have it, but shiping to CZ is 40euro. Is any replacement for TPS60501?
Thanks

I'm actually in the process of redesigning a power supply for this project, so it'll run on external power which will result in a much cleaner power supply. It should be done in a couple of weeks, if you're interested, and the TPS60501 won't be needed, negating the difficulty you're experiencing sourcing the part. Hopefully that's helpful!

I have made some improvements in the power supply lines in my board using LC filters. I removed noise from USB 5V and from 3.3V of the TPS60501, and changed the frequency of the LM2662 to reduce ripple. I'm planing to design a new board in EAGLE too.

Suggestions are welcome.

Hi! I tried to make my own version of one-sided pcb in eagle and here are results(still unfinished). I changed all decoupling capacitors on digital side of board to 0805 smd. I`m new to all of this so there may be some mistakes that I didn't see myself. Would be grateful for suggestions. EAGLE files are included.
wubtdSD.png

Attachments

• JEDAC os.zip
    44.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.