New Idea For Reflective Projector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
ir

this is the most comonly used projector formats but there is more that are rare and for special aps

CRT Cathode-ray tubes
D-ILA Proprietary Hughes/JVC reflective LCD panels
DMD/DLP One to three Texas Instruments Digital Micromirror DeviceÔ
LCD Transmissive or reflective liquid crystal panels
LV CRT-LCD light modulator assembly

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
ir

ir im trying to find the spec sheet on the projector i had that uses this tech, it was a few months ago, i actually saw it on ebay so i looked up the spec's and that is how i first saw the tech, then i went into it from there so it will take time for me to find the info again.

with regards to the D-ILA link... ahhh yeah. huh? i don't see anything similar to what is being described.

fact remains you can't project light using light as a filter

thats why i posted the diagram, to make sure i wasn't just nuts and totally misinterpreting it all.

i think mabe you've both overlooked a fundmental element in a similar design (from Barco, JVC or something)

ace3000_1,

The reason I want to make on of these is because I have dismantled my LCD but I have ahd to put it back together because there is no way what-so-ever of mounting it. Therefore I am taking this approach. My LCD is of a 320*240 resolution but I only want a 1m diagonal image. This is to hang above the other end of my bed.

Oh, aswell it is also for heat problems as I have a 500watt halogen bulb and that generates a hell of a lot of heat.
____
Jake
____

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
i wanna see some proof of this concept tho, projecting light with light

ya and u will get it, and for the last time its not projecting light with light, u seem to think that this idea is somwhat mine , its not, its not even my tech, as i said ask barco, its not easy **** to do, i have said before it will require special polarisers not stuff u will find from bunnings or a local hardware store, its special ****! not only that but its more to it then just polarising it, it then has the be combined as a single image to be projected, its not just a mirror that u put the 2 together, its a high tech optical combiner.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
fine the polariser polarises it (logical) but how does the projector beam collect the image of the mirror and carry it thru to the screen?

do u know what a beam splitter is? ok horizontal polarised light can only go through a beam splitter that is made for that purpose, ie a beam splitter designed for only horizontal polarised light to pass through, ok now on the otherside the beam splitter is made to reflect vertical polarised light so in return u get horizontal light from the light source coming through the beam splitter and the lcd's reflected image that is coming from the face of the beam splitter, it should be at 50/50 but depending on what combination u use in the beam splitter u can make the light 40% and the lcd 60% if need be but not in this case, a 50/50 setup would give u 50% light and 50% lcd , the polarisers idea i said before is basically the same as a beam splitter as of the type im sujesting, the 2 can be separated for your info and also combined, but that requires special optics, i know what your saying about how the light can wash out an image with such a bright light on a mirror, but not if its polarised, if u wer to project it polarised after the beam splitter yess it will wash out the image on the wall! but not on the beam spliter or in the actual projected light because when projecting on a sceen the light is difused buy the screen material and somwhat combined, so then u use an optical combiner to combine the 2 to 1 sorce for projection, its not easy to explain but ill remind u its not back yard stuff, its alot of tech and special graded optics, but it is out there and it works.

i know what a beamsplitter is. the fact still reamins you're etrying to project light with light as a filter

here i've drawn it in (somewhat) 3D

Attachments

• image2.gif
    image2.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 701
the reflected image will not filter the incoming projector light as there is nothing there only a reflected image. there is nothing to physically filter out the levels of RGB so that the image will appear on the screen

if say the reflected smiley face was drawn on the mirror, or made of something opaque (ie to block and thus filter the incoming light) then you would definitely see the image on the screen. afterall, that how most projectors work.

the fact remains that the reflected image wll have NO efffect on the projector light meaning the projector will carry on thru, lighting up the screen but not showing the picture. and the miror will be sitting there with a reflected image of the lcd

i appreciate that you didn't invent the idea and i reiterate my previous comment: i believe you're both overlooking a very important fundamental element of this design. because in it's current form it certainly will not work

and by the way, if you do require many a dollar worth of expensive optics to get it to work. isn't it worth then, to simply give in and take apart the LCD?

corwes

My idea of magnesium was simply well... gone. I figured it wouldn't work beccause it produced the glow at 600 Degrees Celcius however it melted at 564 or something Degrees Celcius. There fore, for it to work, it would have to be melting.

____
Jake
____

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.