New Idea For Reflective Projector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
in this link here http://www.schott.com/digitalprojection/english/products/technology/lcos.html

the concept is explained quite clearly.

i'd suggest attempting this sort of projection. as it would be relatively easy to implement (well a single LCD version)

if that was indeed the idea you were trying to get at, then i was correct in stating you had ommited an important design element (for starters, the semi-reflective mirror faces the projector NOT the screen. and there is another mirror directly behind the LCD)

but anyways....

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
ir

the reflected image will not filter the incoming projector light as there is nothing there only a reflected image

lol ahh i give up with u, its like talking to a 2yr old, its not, the beam spliter does the filtering, this has become a joke, your incredible lol, read my past posts nothing sujests that light filters light, end of story period

i know what you said. but if the only thing the light goes thru on its way to the screen is a reflectied image (ie light) then it is trying to filter light with light.

if your idea matches at all my daigram at the top of this page, then that is EXACTLY waht is occuring

feel free to draw your own diagrams to explain this

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
ir

and by the way, if you do require many a dollar worth of expensive optics to get it to work. isn't it worth then, to simply give in and take apart the LCD?

lol exactly, but any input for jakes learning and design is welcome for what HE wants to do and others alike and as for what ive told u i did state its my 2cents worth and its what ive found along the lines, its OBVIOUS there is more to it then just a beam spliter, for staters the light has to polarised before the beam splitter, the lcd already is incase u didnt know it then u need combining filters not just one, 3 or 4, its not an easy design, just what i have found along the way, so quit fussing about.

yeah but whats that got to do with anything?

to get down to my whole problem with the thing

its trying to combine both reflective and transmissive projector concepts. being part transmissive, it requires the sort of things a typical transmissve projector does like opaque images provided by either film, slides, or more relevantly an LCD as the light need to transmit thru the image.

with the LCOS idea however, the light is beamed front on (well side on, but front on after the mirror). it goes thru the lcd, hits the rear mirror is filtered by the LCD (i.e pics up image colour information) then procedes twoards the screen passing thru the semi reflcative mirror on the way.

No problems there

the other idea (Jakes - no offense) i simply can't comprehend

i know there are CRT projector out there

i'm still trying to grasp this concept however (and find a nice diagram of a crt projector to show the difference with that)

even if it did work basically as per diagram, you'd need to project the LCD onto the mirror first (thus requiring it to be taken apart. reason being, an lCD image is to dim to cast itself past it's surface. a CRT doesn't have this problem

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
ir/jake

screw this argument anyways, i'm gonna have lunch

yeah that time of day there, time for bed over here, imo isnt it amazing how aussies and kiwi's mix? lol both hot headed lol i love it

Jake is it possible to send pics of your lcd, i used one of those before and im sure i can show u how to mount it, uneed to make a mod to the backlight housing so u can use the original housing for mounting.

Trev

yeh ace i'll try and get u a pic of my lcd. do u want it pulled apart or just a pic of it. p.s.do u think that resoltion will be enough. i am guessing so because some have 800*600 panels which are being projected @ 4 metres big. I guessed, doing some calculation, that it equals the same resolution @ the size I want it projected to.

____
Jake
____

hey guys

check this out. go to http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/projection-tv.htm/printable. Seach or look for ' Grating Light Values' near the bottom of the page and then go down a tiny bit.Then u see a man standing in front of a screen with a flower projector. It says in the caption 'Example of a projected image using GLV technology;. Do i remember seeing that EXACT picture on one of those 150 inch projection tv auctions. yes i do. this has just proved that they are all mega liars and ext time some one puts an auction upo with that picture i might just let them know that somebodyelse knows there secret as well.

____
Jake
____

not quite reflective

Firstly, I have to admit, I am just a lowly art student. I have no science degrees.

The idea you have is to collect the light that is projected off of a LCD and mix it with light from a bulb, or some other source.

So you are mixing two projected lights. It can not be considered reflected light because you are now dealing with the light rays rather than the object that it has bounced off of.

Projected light it additive; all colors mix to form white.
Reflective light is subtractive; all colors mix to form black.

so adding white light to any color light will only yield white light.

After reading the entirety of this post, I had to look up polarized light. This site was the easiest for me to grasp Patterns in Nature while this site offers more indepth information Nikon Microscopy.

While I am still no where near an expert, it seems that polarizing the light would simply unify its vibration direction. This would still leave you with a projected beam of light. Even if you add light polarized at a perpendicular the human eye should still read these together. Meaning adding white light to any colored light will then project white.

While I don't think this solved anything. My research has made me more apt to believe IR or HB.

Ace, I would like it if you could offer me some better resources on polarized light. I am not opposed to going to the library or book store.

Jake, as for mounting, could you use a low pressure clamp to hold onto the LCD? Or perhaps get some rigid rubber moulding (I have seen this for edging glass. It can be found in different sizes, so one size is bound to fit your LCD). Frame the LCD with the moulding and then you could attach your mounting points to the mouding. It would not be rock solid, but I suspect you would not be shaking or dropping this projector often.
With both of these mounting ideas you might lose a small bit of your picture, but I am that it could be minimalized with good execution.

Best of luck.
-Krets

Jake,

If you study those reflective designs carefully I think you will notice one thing in common with all of them and that is that the LCD's they use are specifically designed to be reflective. As such the initial light source can be directed at the LCD and it reflects the correct colors.

Sometimes this is done with a non colored LCD and the light is seperated into three colors first and the LCD pixels are timed to the light color that is currently being reflected. Another method uses microscopic mirrors to accomplish the same result.

There are however reflective LCD panels which are designed to have the light bounced off from the front but I don't know if there are any large type panels of this type being used. They are typically made for handheld games and computers. In fact there are some new high resolution ones coming out that have full VGA resolution and are about 4 inches. I even saw one that has higher resolution.

I admire your tenacity but I feel your design will not work with a typical LCD.

Hezz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.