Please Help Identify the Jazz I Like

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Maybe I am a bit of an odd Jazz fan. There is Jazz I really love, Jazz I can tolerate, and Jazz I find simply unbearable. I am trying to find out if there is a name for the type of Jazz that I like, to make searching easier. Wondering if anyone here can help.

What I don't like: The really eclectic, "loose", improvisational, borderline random stuff. I have come to learn that some of the greatest Jazz artists of all time specialize in this type of Jazz. It simply isn't for me. I need something with some semblance of rhythm and beat, with a groove that I can settle into.

What I do like: Mostly instrumental, (although I don't mind some female vocal Jazz once in a while). I like Dave Brubek's "Take Five" (of course) - this is a good example of Jazz that still has a "hook", something with a groove that you can settle into and isn't simply random notes. Even a single artist might be known for this "improvisational" type of Jazz, but then I find gems by the same artists that I absolutely love.

Example: John Coltrane - I love songs such as "Naima" and his entire "Ballads" album (enough that I bought the 180g vinyl) but there is so much of his music that I can't handle.

I search for great Jazz artists and find the obvious ones, and then discover ever more random music that my brain simply can't comprehend.

So, what type of Jazz do i like? Is there a name for it? And no, I also don't love "Smooth Jazz". I don't find it completely annoying, but that's not what I am looking for. Oh, and I actually really like "Gyspy Jazz" when I am in the mood for something speedy.

Reactions: 1 user
I like "melodic" jazz, like Keith Jarrett's music, Jan Garbarek, Egberto Gismonti, Oregon (is that jazz?), whatever flows. One of my favorite is Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis (on vinyl). Recorded in 1958 and sounds wonderful warm, both technically and artistically.

• Thank You

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@cogitech

I completely understand what you are describing.

Check out Hank Jones (also found as “The Great Jazz Trio”)

Jan Johansson

Quincy Jones particuarly in his 60s recordings.

Yes, these are all pianists, but it’s a good place to start.

@lcsaszar Sketches of Spain is interesting for sure… I love it, though generally I don’t much listen to Miles Davis.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
@cogitech,

Listen to these. If you like them, I can recommend others.
Dave Brubeck - Paper Moon
Cyrus Chestnut - There's A Sweet, Sweet Spirit
David "Fathead" Newman - Lone Star Legend
Dexter Gordon - Body And Soul
Miles Davis - Birth Of The Cool
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain
Stanley Turrentine - Z.T.'s Blues
Stanley Turrentine - That's Where It's At
Stanley Turrentine - The Spoiler
Stanley Turrentine - Don't Mess With Mister T.

• Thank You
Joined 2011
Paid Member
What about Miles Davis. His 1950's & early 60's recordings are sometimes fantastic
I will check it out for sure! Thanks!
I like "melodic" jazz, like Keith Jarrett's music, Jan Garbarek, Egberto Gismonti, Oregon (is that jazz?), whatever flows. One of my favorite is Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis (on vinyl). Recorded in 1958 and sounds wonderful warm, both technically and artistically.
Sounds great! Nice to have a bit of a label to put on it. Would you also put something like "Beyond the Missouri Sky" by Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny into this category? That is one of my all-time favourite albums. Scott might call that one a sedative, but I dig it.

Early Davis, early Coltrane (before either started a heavy push into modal & more experimental), a good proportion of Dexter Gordon's output. Chet Baker -cool jazz for the most part, but not a sedative. Should be plenty there to get your ears around.
Indeed! I will check all of this out. I did sort of figure out that Coltrane got more experimental as time went on (but then reeled it in again later?)

Check out Hank Jones (also found as “The Great Jazz Trio”)

Jan Johansson

Quincy Jones particuarly in his 60s recordings.

Yes, these are all pianists, but it’s a good place to start.
Thank you! I generally like guitar and brass (especially trumpet) but I certainly have room in my "library" for piano.

Listen to these. If you like them, I can recommend others.
Dave Brubeck - Paper Moon
Cyrus Chestnut - There's A Sweet, Sweet Spirit
David "Fathead" Newman - Lone Star Legend
Dexter Gordon - Body And Soul
Miles Davis - Birth Of The Cool
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
Miles Davis - Sketches Of Spain
Stanley Turrentine - Z.T.'s Blues
Stanley Turrentine - That's Where It's At
Stanley Turrentine - The Spoiler
Stanley Turrentine - Don't Mess With Mister T.
Wow! I will definitely check them all out! Thanks!

One more trio I can recommend: CoDoNa formed by Collin Walcott, Don Cherry and Nana Vasconcelos. They have solo releases too, also fantastic. I like when I can follow the melody, and the music conveys emotions. Most jazz I found an end in itself, boring or annoying.

I listen to a lot of Stan Getz, and I often hear his music described as "melodic jazz". Maybe that's what you're looking for? The crazier stuff is certainly an acquired taste, but if you can learn to like it, it will probably become your favorite kind of music :)

Nigel Kennedy: Blue Note Sessions
Cannonball Adderley: Somethin' Else
Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section
John Coltrane: Blue Train
Sonny Clark: Cool Struttin'
Horace Silver: Songs for My Father
Grover Washington Live
Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue
Herbie Hancock Empyrean Isles

I think any of these these might do the trick for you , most have been uploaded to YouTube

Geoff

Joined 2011
Paid Member
One more trio I can recommend: CoDoNa formed by Collin Walcott, Don Cherry and Nana Vasconcelos. They have solo releases too, also fantastic. I like when I can follow the melody, and the music conveys emotions
Thanks for that recommendation, and I think we have similar preferences.

I listen to a lot of Stan Getz, and I often hear his music described as "melodic jazz". Maybe that's what you're looking for? The crazier stuff is certainly an acquired taste, but if you can learn to like it, it will probably become your favorite kind of music :)
I like Getz as well! Especially his collabration with Joao Gilberto (and his wonderful wife Astrud - I have a real soft spot for her singing style, and not just the obvious song that everyone knows). I like Bossa Nova in general.

Nigel Kennedy: Blue Note Sessions
Cannonball Adderley: Somethin' Else
Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section
John Coltrane: Blue Train
Sonny Clark: Cool Struttin'
Horace Silver: Songs for My Father
Grover Washington Live
Kenny Burrell Midnight Blue
Herbie Hancock Empyrean Isles

I think any of these these might do the trick for you
Thank you Geoff! Geez, I am going to be overwhelmed by choice!

Interesting, much of the jazz I like is on Blue Note Records; their stuff is always well recorded and I've found most of the releases to be worth the modest (in Oz, $10) asking price for a CD, usually with extra tracks.

There have been some duds (for me only) such as Eric Dolphy's 'Out to Lunch', but overall it's been worth a punt for the price of two coffees.

First jazz CD I bought was Jay McShann's Big Apple Bash, also recommended; second was - of course - Kind of Blue, then the Nigel Kennedy.

Geoff