Please Help Identify the Jazz I Like

I must admit that I can't be bothered persevering with 'challenging' music of any genre; if it doesn't grab me after two or three listens, I just move on to something else rather than trying to like an artist or particular piece of music.

Looking at jazz, all of the music I suggested above 'clicked' after the first or second listen; they're 'accessible', but have enough interesting attributes even after literally dozens of plays.

I must have listened to 'Kind of Blue' over one hundred times but never tire of it, rather like - on a different tack - Jimi Hendrix' "Machine Gun" from Band of Gypsies, which I have listened to at least twice a week for 50 years.

Geoff

Reactions: 1 user
I'm still staggered nobody else is mentioning Dexter Gordon -the big man was, generally, quite accessible for all his remarkable (and diverse) talent.

Left-field: Al di Miola, if you like jazz-fusion (and if you get Scenario, which is unlikely to suit here, but not without interest in a general sense, you'll quickly discover just how much Jan Hammer recycled of his contribution to Scenario for use on the Maimi Vice theme).

I'm in danger of being overwhelmed!

Currently on my 3rd Rum n' Eggnog and listening to Christmas music while I pre-make our traditional Christmas Eve dinner, which is French-Canadian Tourtière.

I will be back to this thread to closely read everything, but traveling tomorrow for an early start to the Holidays, so all I can manage right now is a hearty "Happy Holidays!!!" to everyone!
Lol, I can imagine. I dont think there is any rush 😊.
Just wanted to thank you for asking the question. Sounds similar to my thinking.
I know I have heard stuff that was jazz or jazzish that I have thoroughly enjoyed. And stuff I have hated.
'What words do i use to search?' Etc etc
So this thread is just looking brilliant for me as well. Going to take a while to listen though eh?

Thanks to all who have given input.

Adding to that, I‘d like to push Don Cherry. A lot of his recordings won’t match as it is deeply free jazz stuff, and still, uncle Don has so much warmth and kindness in his playing that I still find it wonderful! A very mucu easier approach to his style is multiculti, easy fairitaily jazz :)
Don Cherry - Ed Blackwell: El Corazon
One of my favourites.
Jazz musicians play in one formation, next time in another, next time in solo. Oregon is a good example, I heard them 2 or 3 times, sometimes with Trilok Gurtu, other times with other personnel. Always great.

Last edited:
I'm still staggered nobody else is mentioning Dexter Gordon...
You missed it. I suggested Dexter Gordon's Body and Soul album in post #10. And since we are talking about him, for those who have not yet watched it, I highly recommend the movie 'Round Midnight from 1986. Dexter Gordon, in the lead role, plays throughout the movie. There isn't much of a plot, but the musical performances are worth watching. Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and several other musicians also appear.

Re: Dexter Gordon, etc.
There are so many great artists from the classic period of jazz music. Name dropping great straight ahead musicians? Okay...

Nobody's mentioned SONNY ROLLINS ????
Sonny Clark
Kenny Dorham
Booker Little
Hank Mobley (the great tenor saxophonist on Miles Davis' "Someday My Prince Will Come" and on the Blackhawk records)
Lee Morgan (the great, fire breathing trumpeter who recorded the smash hit "The Sidewinder")
Wynton Kelly
Grant Green
George Benson w/ Dr. Lonnie Smith ("Cookbook" and "It's Uptown!")
Art Farmer-Benny Golson Jazztet
Ahmad Jamal (formative influence on Miles Davis)
Barry Harris (check out "At The Jazz Workshop")
Blue Mitchell
Eastern Rebellion (George Coleman and Cedar Walton)
Freddie Hubbard
Horace Silver
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
how about... 1960s Herbie Hancock !!!!
Jimmy Heath (check out "On The Trail")
Jimmy Smith (Hammond organ)
Sonny Stitt
Toots Thielemans
Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Orchestra
Gil Evans

....and more.

and then melodic jazz coming up in the 1970s and '80s...

Pat Metheny
Weather Report (Wayne Shorter and Joe Zawinul, some with Jaco Pastorius)
Michael Brecker (maybe too 'fierce' for some)
John Scofield
Gary Burton
Chick Corea
Wynton Marsalis
(I can't think of more at the moment, but there's more)

Then the 1990s and 2000s...

Brad Mehldau
Peter Bernstein (fantastic guitarist)
Kurt Rosenwinkel (progressive electric guitarist/composer)
Larry Goldings (Hammond organ)
Roy Hargrove
Danilo Pérez (check out "Motherland")
Joshua Redman
(and of course there are more I can't think of at the moment, but there's more...)

I'm deliberately omitting the more dissonant "challenging" music I like, but it sounds like the OP might not like.

There's so much great music out there. So much...

Last edited:
Most of my realm of Jazz would not exist without the Hammond organ. Or the Leslie speaker.
Top favorite Jazz albums might be:
Jimmy MgGriff - The Dream Team.
Jimmy Smith - Assorted album and for sure Organ Grinder Swing.
Lots more after that.

My Grandmother had a Hammond M2 and I grew up in South Louisiana where you would hear a lot of Hammond organ music.

Hammond organ is a whole genre unto itself (which, being that I'm from Philadelphia, I just have to love).

Larry Young (check out "Unity")
Big John Patton
Jack McDuff
Joey DeFrancesco
and absolutely, the one and only Dr. Lonnie Smith.

Have you heard the great trio of Larry Goldings - Peter Bernstein - Bill Stewart ?

Last edited:
Lot´s of interresting and great suggestions here.
If mentioned before, I apologize...... But what about big band (not dixieland)??
One of my favourite albums is "Chaiman of the Board" with Count Basie on original vinyl. (Play LOUD) :cool:

Another is Stan Getz "Spring is Here".......

Of course, Lee Ritenour has been mentioned. This concert is worth watching......