t/s specs for indian drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Tarun

Today for the first time i ventured out for building my HT. well here is the story, i took ur schematic to the person who used to do winding of my transformers 4 years back. He now makes parts for Beetel Company and Bharat Telecom. Also took some pictures of the coils. He knew what that was all about and what i wanted. He told me that they will be ready in a weeks time and will use 17 gauge wire (imported) and also he told me that the capacitors that are being used he can also arrange them for me on his next trip to Delhi. That was quite a relief to me.

Next i went to the wood and veneer selling market. To my astonishment the veneer was very expensive started from 30 rs square foot to 210 rs square foot. One dealer of the veneer told me that cheap veneer will get boils (fool jayegi) cus we have very different climate that those in the west and he advised me to look for good sun mica sheets that a company called Durion is selling. The sun mica had shades just like the finished veneer. After that i saw some good MDF boards ranged 45rs sq/ft 3/4th of an inch and 30 for 1/2 inch (imported). Now i have to decide to go for sunmica or for the veneer of course veneer will be so much costly after all the labour cost and the material cost added at the end of the finish product. From tomorrow i will be looking for some good carpenter who will do a good finished job for my speakers, as i want all the joints of veneer or sun mica used to be of quality finish.
Hope every thing comes up good but my only worry is will i be able to make a good Xo.

Kamal6767, I'm getting the feeling that you may not have read much about speaker building on these forums and elsewhere, so you may be in danger of making some mistakes on the xo. Therefore I'll list some points here. Sorry if you already knew all of these.
  • Inductors should be air-core.
  • Either you or your inductor building workshop must have some instruments to measure inductors in microHenry and milliHenry range. Without accuracy of at least 5%, it's hard to get usable inductors for xo.
  • Resistors should be of 10W power rating. I use very mass-produced 5% wirewound resistors; many others prefer much more high quality ones. It's up to you. All I know is that the current owners of the Asawari love its sound.
  • Capacitors should not be electrolytic. They should ideally be metallised polypropylene, of at least 160V rating. You can also use film-and-foil caps if you can find them; they'll be more expensive. Metallised polypropylene caps are made in India by DEC and CTR. Corrson can sell you good CTR caps. I have usually found that large value (10uF, 15uF) caps of this type are not always easy to find in the roadside shops.
If you keep to these very basic guidelines, I do not see any problems in your getting parts for the Asawari (and most other two-way passive) xo. For three-way xo, you may need to worry about the DC resistance and wire gauge for the woofer's inductor... those inductors are usually monster items.

Your veneer prices are very mainstream and "normal". Therefore, veneer is expensive. Add to that the cost of polishing the veneer, and you'll see that veneer can be really expensive. There are many different types of polishing for woodwork and veneer:
  • hand-polishing using shellac lacquer
  • melamine polish (done with spray gun, matte finish works better than glossy)
  • PU polish (done with spray gun, matte or glossy finish)
  • epoxy lamination (done with spray gun, almost 3mm thick coating, looks like hard, transparent glass when it dries, almost always done in glossy, not matte finish)
As you move from the first option (cheapest) to the last one (most expensive) prices tend to jump 50% to 100% at each step. I got melamine polish done for the first Asawari pair; I've used PU polish for the new Asawari Mk II. The price I paid for getting melamine polish done for the first pair was Rs.2,500 (labour plus material for one pair). For the PU polish for the new Mk IIs, I paid Rs.6,000 (labour plus material for one pair). All these figures of course exclude the price of the veneer itself.

So if you're on a budget, I strongly suggest that you use decorative laminates (referred to as "Sunmica" in India, though that brand is not available any more, AFAIK).

Very True Tarun i might make some mistakes in making the XO and you are right i have not read much of the postings on the speakers. The reason is its just like birds flying over my head the terms used are not known to me.

On the inductors i took the print of ur post on the inductors and the micro and mili henry and he does understad what u were talking about. i dont have a workshop of my own as i have just two rooms rented apartment cant afford to have a workshop the space is limited and on instruments i have no knowledge about the instrument measuring the air-core inductors i am realy relying on your information and the man who will make them and his instruments. well u have to loose if you have to gain something. let me give a try on this may be i will end on a loosing side but i am sure i will gain something. may be my knowledge on drivers and their frequencies and all that theories might be nill but practical might help. i will go ahead and try this out and i am positive something good will come up..i realy hope it does. drivers are no problem and so is the cabnet making cus i do a lil carpentry work myself the sub box was built by me so i can save on that part the main problem is XO and let me jump into this sea and i will learn the swimmin for sure. i will be working now to find out sites that tell how these inductors work and how all the parts work but i know it wont be easy for me to under stand that language and terms of physics :xeye: thats the biggest problem i have. i want to buit a amp but no help dont know how to put schematic to layout other than this site no help ever given to me. :( The UPS card that i made was with no ones help although it was danegerous playing with that card and transformer as they are high current but i came out a winner and my made UPS gave 18 mins of back up to the PC i used the CRGO core for the transformers and the card was also good and i am very positive will come up with the XO too althoughs its hard but u ppl are with me

On the veeneer i wont be going for it its too damn expensive although its the best in finishing and looks. but i have seen some good sunica www.cedarindia.com the colour is 2422 rosewood i think and it as a finish of a niyl covering that comes in most of the speakers its expensive than other sheets 1200 bucks for 8X4 size. the veeneer is too expensive for me . my wife will attempt to murder me if i use that kinda money on my speakers. she will say "lets go to Guruduwara for langer for rest of the lives and u keep on building ur speakers stuff"
Thanks for the concern i realy appriciate it
Kamal

Hi Tarun
This is a pic of Wet Field Bipolar Coagulator a medical machine that i used to manufacture in 1995 and used to sell good. Its a machine that burns the nerves in the eye so that it wont bleed at the time of operation. Catract operation where docs insert an artificial lens inside the eye so that a person get back a good sight. This machine i copied from another manufacturer. Every thing was fine, i found out the cabnet that was imported by Texonic instruments from singapur, made of virgin plastic is a realy good finished cabnet. I was stuck in one part and that was the ferite core and its winding, didnt know what it was and how it worked but i happen to make it and it took out some kinda freqency in Khz that used to burn the nerve endings in the eye. but i worked and worked on it and at last was a winner and it sold good until it came in built in a new machine called Phaco machine ( stichless surgery of catarct) and my business was closed that was way back in 1995.

Attachments

• bipolar.jpg
    bipolar.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 218
Tarun this is the PCB of my UPS that i used to make in 2004. Due to steep rize in steen and copper price i had to stop making them as there was not much of profit in that. Well some of ventures that i have been through in my life. For a medico person to venture into a field that is not familar to him is a rough ride. its not that i want to show off or " apne munh miya mithu" but yes i have been a person who once decided on somthing will keep on working on it until succed. u can call that stuburnness or anything but thats what has been behind my sucess of these two equipments that i made. the cautry was a sucess with the docs and they were very happy with the working till today not any of them has any complaints ( sold over 500 units) and so is the UPS. Didnt sell much( UPS) but it also has no complaint. I used the CRGO core that is grain oriented and is very strudy on power output and load handling. i know if i am some help is given i will suceed in the XO too thought i will loose some money on the parts but its worth, when u sit back and see the finsihed product it realy gives a satisfaction that is unexpressable.

Attachments

• ups card.jpg
    ups card.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 210
Thanks Somak that was so nice of you

Well if i have been in these two ventures and i have had some bad experiences. Since 2004 i am in thesis making business. I am a pharmacist and i make thesis book for docs and nurses ( their research book) and i am happy in the work i do and it has given me name and fame. I am very popular in Christian Medical & Hospital for thesis doing and i am earning good. may be 5 years back if this site would have been visited by me and friends like you and tarun and all of who answer my post i would have surely been into something. well to be true if i build i nice HT speakers that i plan to make and i get sucess in those may be i will think of making them as my side business. The picture is skected in my brain where i have to go i have figured out every thing that has to be aqured and made beside the Xo that i am vey sure that i will be able to come up with a good one. Thanks to you guys for so much information that the dreams that had gone bleek are now shining again as i have good chances of making a hometheater speaker. Som my younger brother lives in US and he buys stuff for me but the duty is so much that its so hard to bring that stuff here. i have four vifa 6.6 in drivers and 4 vifa tweeters lying there, a set of sony speakers SS600 some one broke the cabnets and sold all the drivers and crossover and i got hold of them, a sub amp a, a denon 7.1 reciever, a marants stereo amp just waiting to be shipped to India but the shiping and duty kills. i am saving every month for the duty. hope that i get my goods soon.
Its good that we have at least one good driver company here and also it gives a world class product. I just want good acoustics sound that will ease of my tireness as i sit 16 hours on my PC for work. Just one good movie and some nice songs makes my body fresh again. thats the power of music and movies. and clean tru life like music is what we all demand, that touches our soul.
Thanks again looks like a talk a lot in here

DIY in India

In the 60's and 70's there were many electronic kit manufacturing companies and they did pretty well.
I've been in the local markets in a few cities fairly often and have seen these shops shrink and most have disappeared from then till now. On the other hand several ( hundred ? ) new consumer electronics shops have opened with expensive facades etc. and have a large number of customers.
Now that couldn't mean that the kit building market has grown.... could it ? Not for me anyway !
I've walked into a few of the older kit sellers shops and to say the shops have shrunk is an understatement .
There are a few newer DIY shops like Corrsons etc. But they don't seem to expand explosively as one would expect with the otherwise cash rich buying public. Other consumer electronics shops seem to be expanding every few months.
There are enough electronics DIY guys I think , but possible not many are doing audio ! I see most youngsters in parts shops buying digital chips ( uP/uC etc) and some ready made chip amp boards.

So there is a DIY audio market but it isn't very large right now and it doesn't look like it will grow quickly right now. Remember the ....Video market...?

Ashok i do agree with u on some points you mentioned, i have never visited many places, but the places and cities i have lived i have seen people wanting to build their equipment but have no guidance or knowhow. Just like me some days ago i didnt even knew that drivers of world class quality were being made in India i was always thinking of importing them from India. I did not had any idea what importance did a XO played in a speaker assembly. by chance i came to know this site and i am going to start my speaker HT building. Its just circumstances e.g. if corrson goes on to give an advertizement in one of the poplular channels on TV i am sure there will be many calls comming to them and their buisness will surely grow, nowadays its advertizement time. i dont know how many ppl know Corrson or Peerless or Keenkitts. I came to know all this through accident by comming on to this site and it has helped me and i wish ppl know more that good products are in India already. I feel realy fortunate that i have a PC at home and have internet access and can share my views and get knowledge from it. But i wonder how many ppl in India are there who want to DIY and dont have a PC or net to get information about build some good project for them. i know many who want to but have no choice and they go to market and buy 2.1 ready made sets to get it attached with theirr DVD players or CD players. 2.1 from Intex and Creative do sell good and many of my friends have bought 5.1 intex. I dont have any rich friends who would have gone ahead to buy audio ready made equipment for lakhs. Its unfortunate that there is no advertizment for such products avaliable in India so that people like me can build what they have been wanting for years.

Efy

You should read the EFY ( Electronics For You ) magazine.
It is full of advertisements from all over the country for components , kits and ready made products. They have been around since 1968 or so. Contains theory and constructional articles too. Maybe you missed it.
Elektor-India was also there for several years. They closed up fairly recently.

phaseplugged a bolton 12dw22

I have a pair of 12DW22 5 inch poly midwoofer from boltons lying with me for a couple of years .Prior to phase plugging the sound was very harsh after inserting the phase plug the harshness has gone havent measure the speakers .
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/somakmaitra/SpeakerModification/photo#5232857992165855618

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.