200W MOSFET CFA amp

Not much interest here.
I will show some more plots, this is really excellent sounding and very stable power amp. I am listening to 200W version and this one has all attribute of the more powerful brother just half the output power.
Distortion is quite low and very uniform for all audio frequencies and all output power. Some people prefer low GNFB amps, but this one thanks to flat GNFB of about 80 dB up to 20 kHz achieves all that presented. I my opinion it's hard to bet this amp, and is quite simple to build with no expensive parts.
I will offer the PS Regulator board too, with all needed protection, suitable for this amp.

Attachments

• 100 CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1-LG.jpg
    100 CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1-LG.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 962
  • 100 CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1-1W-FFT20k.jpg
    100 CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1-1W-FFT20k.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 900
  • 100 CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1-50W-FFT20k.jpg
    100 CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1-50W-FFT20k.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 863
  • 100 CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1-100W-FFT20k.jpg
    100 CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1-100W-FFT20k.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 834
  • 100 CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1-20ksquare on 1ksin.jpg
    100 CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1-20ksquare on 1ksin.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 200
  • 100 CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1-TIM.jpg
    100 CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1-TIM.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 100 CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1-50W-FFT1k.jpg
    100 CFA VMOSFET-dado-1_1-50W-FFT1k.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 821
It is all great interesting stuff dadod.
Well I finally got my LME49830 and ALF16N(P)16W going using the OPC wireamp pcb. Stuck them in a old Sansui G-7500 and used the PS from a Pioneer SX-1050. It sounds okay does not measure very well. I am not sure why. Now they discontinued the LME49830 not too worried about that chip anymore.
I have 8 pairs of ALF16N(P)16W and was going to try them on something else.
I was considering either your 200W design or the Mark Alexander CFA classic design as posted by Analog Devices using two pairs of the Latfets. At some point I found someone had re-done this design (SJC) using the Latfets instead of the original igbt.
I have two transformers from old Pioneer SX-1250 that I would like to use. Lots of mechanical work to sort out as I would need a new chassis, heatsinks etc. These are the expensive bits, not the semis :)

Here is the PS Regulator with overcurrent protection, loudspeaker protection against an amp output DC offset, Master slave output voltage behavior, and instantaneous switch off if one polarity sags to low. It can work with input voltage from 45 to 80 V, showing 5 to 6 V lower output.
I would like to know if there interested people. It is very suitable for 100W or higher wattage amplifiers. It could be used one board for both channels or two as in dual mono (no need for two transformers).

Attachments

• PS-Regulator-MOSFET-sch.jpg
    PS-Regulator-MOSFET-sch.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 474
  • PS-Regulator-MOSFET-lay.JPG
    PS-Regulator-MOSFET-lay.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 510
Damir,

Your comment resounds through the audiophile world and is very relevant.
However, how do you account for the single ended triode, which adds colour to an extent which is ridiculous - up to 2% THD, more or less, at the listening level.
Yet, this topology is prized throughout the audiophile community. Why? And why are so many people who love these olde world contraptions so wrong and why will they pay so much for them? $USD350k for the WAVAC, for example?
Your comments about THD are entirely true, Self says the same thing, but what gives here?
BTW, I love your designs, all of them are a magnificent work of superb engineering.

Warm regards,

Hugh

Last edited:
Damir,

Your comment resounds through the audiophile world and is very relevant.
However, how do you account for the single ended triode, which adds colour to an extent which is ridiculous - up to 2% THD, more or less, at the listening level.
Yet, this topology is prized throughout the audiophile community. Why? And why are so many people who love these olde world contraptions so wrong and why will they pay so much for them? $USD350k for the WAVAC, for example?
Your comments about THD are entirely true, Self says the same thing, but what gives here?
BTW, I love your designs, all of them are a magnificent work of superb engineering.

Warm regards,

Hugh

Dear Hugh,
You put to much importance to my comment(I suppose it was provoked what I said in other thread). I am just an engineer but only a hobbyist in the audio field.
I would like to have or build one of those single ended triode amps, but it is to expensive for me to buy or even to build. And I am sure that I will enjoy the sound as I enjoy the sound of a transparent one, but bloody engineer in me says that an amp should be without sound signature.
Some made fortune building and selling the amps with signature and always there are people with money to buy them.
I never heard any of your amps, but simplicity of design and how you pull out maximum from it impress me immensely, I am not on the same level, I complicate to much.
Thank you for your high opinion about my designs, I appreciate it.
Best wishes
Damir

platon.rado-6 pieces
Cambe- 2 Amp PCB's and 2 Reg PCB's.
Ajit- 2 Amp PCB's and 1 reg pcb
ejno - 2 amp PCB's and 2 Reg PCB's.
vac231 - 2 amp PCB's and 2 Reg PCB'.

It looks like there is not going to be more interested here, I will place Monday the PCB production order check the prices and inform you before to finalize it.
There is one change. I have found some problem with the PS Regulator with MOSFET as regulating transistor. It was designed for higher power amp(200W) and never tried in real life. I have a version with BJT as the regulating transistor and that is proven version, working in my ThermalTrak 100W amplifier for years with no problem.
I suggest to change to this type, it is single side PCB and should be even cheaper. Let me know if that is OK.
Damir

Attachments

• PS Regulator-BJT-c-allBC-sch.jpg
    PS Regulator-BJT-c-allBC-sch.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 927
  • PS Regulator-BJT-c-allBC-photo.jpg
    PS Regulator-BJT-c-allBC-photo.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 894