3d Printed Mid Enclosure - Should I stuff it?

These are the mid woofer enclosures I was talking about in my other thread. They mount to the inside of the front baffle behind the mid.
You think I should stuff this with some wadding or just leave them the way they are?

I added the STEP file for the enclosure if anyone wants to use it. You can scale it up or down for whatever size driver you are using. Anyone with a 3d printer you know can print it out for you and scale inside of their slicing program

Attachments

• PXL_20240607_192951981 (1).jpg
    PXL_20240607_192951981 (1).jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 151
  • PXL_20240607_192956739 (1).jpg
    PXL_20240607_192956739 (1).jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 151
  • PXL_20240607_192958952 (1).jpg
    PXL_20240607_192958952 (1).jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Mid Enclosure V2.step
    368.6 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Probably the most common material in the U.S. is a bag of Polyfill from JoAnne's fabrics (or maybe Amazon). You could line with denim damping material or felt (felt is pretty expensive) and then stuff with Polyfill. Some people buy cheap pillows and take the stuffing out.l

Reactions: 1 user
Probably the most common material in the U.S. is a bag of Polyfill from JoAnne's fabrics (or maybe Amazon). You could line with denim damping material or felt (felt is pretty expensive) and then stuff with Polyfill. Some people buy cheap pillows and take the stuffing out.l
Oh we have lots of polyfill around the house. Wife is big into crafting. I steal it and shove it in enclosures all the time

Reactions: 1 user
You could also try a liner of flat acoustical foam plus poly-fil, or felt liner plus poly-fil, an inner cage where you can compress some poly-fil near the wall then loosely fill also, etc.

In such a small space, you'll likely get some benefit from doing something beyond just loose poly-fil.

There have been some instances where this is beneficial. Sometimes seeing the tweeter to the baffle is difficult. I've had some planar be open in the back and be required. Sometimes thin plastic faces will not take the woofer pressures well, and will flex under duress.

Necessary? Sometimes. Not a bad idea as far as isolation goes.

Really? I figured those were all sealed up

It looks like it. Can say a friend tried airsealing SB Satori tweeter and was rather amazed of the improvement. I bet most tweeters will improve from not having the woofer hammer waves from behind. In commercial speakers most of the time tweeter share volume with midrange, where pressure is less.

About volume of midrange chamber, google translate it to 1.8 liters. I guess it will work, but general advice is bigger volume improve midrange. You could try with 5-6 liters and compare.

It looks like it. Can say a friend tried airsealing SB Satori tweeter and was rather amazed of the improvement. I bet most tweeters will improve from not having the woofer hammer waves from behind. In commercial speakers most of the time tweeter share volume with midrange, where pressure is less.

About volume of midrange chamber, google translate it to 1.8 liters. I guess it will work, but general advice is bigger volume improve midrange. You could try with 5-6 liters and compare.
I can make it a bit bigger. It's 3d print so I can do whatever I want at minimal cost. I did run the saph through WINISD just to be sure and the 90 inch cube seemed fine. Gave me a little boost actually right around when I'm going to cross it.

I'll design a mini shield for the planar tweeter