4-way instead of 3-way?

Yes, it is good approach to make things modular, and objectives you explain are fine, only knowing some particular context and exact ideal of sound might help refine further. My motivation here is expand perspective on things, not to take you or OP to any particular direction. I don't know any better.

My impression is that on the 12cm tube the global dispersion goes from very wide below 1000 hertz to a constant 90 degrees above 1000 hertz very quickly.

Is this correct? If yes then Houston that is a real problem because of the sudden shift in dispersion even after normalised response will cause a huge shift in reflected sound in the pass band.

Last edited:
Yes, you can read that form directivity index (DI) graph, which goes from ~0 to ~10db within the passband in the minimal baffle example. DI is the red line on center left image on the sixpack(s) I posted. Same information is basically visible on the normalized polar maps, and also readable from relationship of axial sound and power response, which together make the DI.

This is the reason why I wrote the two yield very different systems, the increase in DI is not at same bandwidth due to different size baffle. Coverage doesn't jump quickly but is smooth slope all the way which is not a problem itself, and which would happen with all systems that are not embedded into a wall at some frequency bandwidth and slope. Directivity on low bass is ~0 due to very long wavelength no matter the system, to ~10db+ for 20kHz due to very short wavelength, beaming of tweeter for any available tweeters (waveguides can widen response a bit on the top as well). For this reason the DI always increases somehow.

Sudden shifts in directivity happen with poorly implemented multiway systems where bigger transducer beams and crossover happens at frequency where the small one is still ~omni. When DI of these two are too different and it would make a jump in directivity through crossover.

Reasoning from these, if mid is on minimal baffle and DI goes from 0 to high within pass band, the tweeter should also have high DI at crossover = waveguide, and the woofer should also have low DI = narrow baffle as well. IF woofer was on big baffle, it could narrow and mid widen at crossover, which means DI won't match and jerk in directivity, same if there is dome tweeter without waveguide.

Last edited:
The small baffle, yeah the bafflestep is there within the passband but it's always somewhere. Directivity goes from low to high within the pass band which means the system response with this mid would be different than the one with bigger baffle, and the whole system would likely be quite different. Perhaps 3" dome is suitable for big rectangular baffle, but not very suitable with small baffle in system context.
This kind of smoothly rising DI can integrate well with the right tweeter in the right baffle. As you say, VituixCad allows us to simulate the impact of baffle shape and driver spacing.

Reactions: 1 user
Here is an example of what can be done with VituixCad diffraction tool. I have been experimenting with sims of the Bliesma M74 driver with a small frame tweeter such as ScanSpeak D3004-6040, which has a flange diameter of 62 mm.

I found that a small trapezoid baffle worked well, a baffle just large enough for the two drivers and a 37 mm radius edge all around. The tweeter does not use a waveguide, but the baffle radius begins where the flange ends. This sim uses 2 x 10” woofers which would have a separate cabinet. Crossovers are 600 and 3k.

The DI is flat from 400 to 8k, +/- 1 dB. Of course this is a simulation using flat disk pistons, and real drivers will have a slightly different radiation pattern, but I have found this kind of preliminary simulation to be very helpful in the early stages of the design. It greatly reduces the risk of design flaw. These kinds of flaws, baffle shape and driver spacing, are not really fixable after the speaker is built. Generally, an entirely new cabinet has to be built.

I have not tried to simulate circular baffles for the midrange and tweeter (cylindrical mounting). My intuitive expectation is that it should be fairly similar to my trapezoid.

My main point here is that simulating in advance reduces our risk of unfixable design flaws. If we base our designs on intuition or “gut feel”, there is a higher risk of getting a poor result.

1719421704973.png

1719421724585.png

1719421775212.png

Yes, it is not hard to simulate a circular baffle shape. We can do one for the tweeter, and one for the mid, and combine the two in simulation.

What diameter, and what is the edge radius? A sharp edge we can model as a 1 mm radius. A gentle rounded edge can be modelled with as much radius as the tooling allows. For me that is 37 mm max.

@tmuikku has made the argument that a sharp edge radius is acceptable on the mid driver, as long as the circular baffle is no larger than the driver. For the Bliesma M74 that would be 121 mm diameter. For the SB Satori MD60N, that would be 130 mm diameter.

For the tweeter, I recommend as much edge radius as possible.

Summary
The main premise for all this is that the off axis response should always track the on axis response. In terms of imaging and reflected and direct sound ratios nothing else matters.

Geddes has researched that the key area of interest is from 700-7000 hertz. The reasons are well beyond detailed discussions here.

In a two way system the idea is to match the woofer off axis response with the tweeter.

But in a three way with the mid starting at 400 hertz what really happens to the off axis response.

For the 74mm dome, I assumed a flange size of 121 mm, and assumed the baffle is the same size circle as the flange, and the radius edge is a hard edge. Although the voice coil is 74mm, the radiating surface is closer to 80mm considering the Sd of 50 cm^2. I plotted a frequency range from 200 - 20k.

A 13 sided polygon is a good approximation of a circle. Actually anything with more than 8 sides is a good approximation, but 13 sides looks more like a circle.

For the 6" cone driver, I used the physical dimensions of the Satori MW16TX driver. The Sd is 119 cm^2 and the frame size is 165mm. I assumed a circular baffle of the same size and a hard radius edge. I plotted a frequency range of 100 - 10k.

In both cases, there is an on-axis hump in the response, but this is not manifested as a hump in DI... the DI smoothly increases over the range. I applied a gentle EQ to both cases to flatten them out a bit. This helps visualize how the driver might be used in a system.

1719439276158.png

1719439295009.png

1719439329816.png

1719439370267.png

1719439396654.png

1719439424533.png

Reactions: 1 users
That's great. Cool.

The rounded edge certainly makes a different

I am wondering now how the overall curves will look if a low pass shelf filter is applied to correct (normalises the baffle step?

In practise I would expect the baffle area of the woofers to provide some loading below 1000 hertz.

A 13 sided polygon is a good approximation of a circle. Actually anything with more than 8 sides is a good approximation, but 13 sides looks more like a circle.

Can you include an approximation of the baffle for the cylinders above and below with the software? The diffraction off the edges of the neighbouring cylinders is unlikely to be as benign but will it be a major or minor issue?

Can you include an approximation of the baffle for the cylinders above and below with the software? The diffraction off the edges of the neighbouring cylinders is unlikely to be as benign but will it be a major or minor issue?
It would be nice if VituixCad had that capability, but it does not. The diffraction modelling ends after the sound wave diffracts 90 degrees at the baffle edge. There is no additional diffraction modelling along the sides or back edge of a cabinet. I think this means the cabinet is assumed to extend backwards for an infinite depth... ?

Certainly I have measured differences between shallow depth cabinets and deep cabinets when both have the same baffle layout. It is usually in the 200 - 500 Hz range. The diffraction off of the back edge is real, but small, and there is so much room effect at those lower frequencies that I don't think that accuracy in that range is important.

The diffraction off the edges of the neighbouring cylinders is unlikely to be as benign but will it be a major or minor issue?
Again, that is hard to model, and beyond the capability of this tool. If this were my project, I would build a prototype using less expensive drivers, and make a full set of horizontal and vertical polar FR scans. Then I would compare the actual results to the VituixCad predicted results to understand how/where the simulation is limited.

For example, this simulation seems to indicate that a hard edge on the midrange cylinder is benign, and it may very well be so for the midrange... but perhaps a rounded edge on the midrange cylinder is beneficial for the tweeter located just a few inches above it? The best way to find out is to build a prototype and test.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
It would be nice if VituixCad had that capability, but it does not. The diffraction modelling ends after the sound wave diffracts 90 degrees at the baffle edge.

You can't make the baffle shape a figure-of-8 to approximate the front of a neighbouring cylinder? It would seem an odd restriction if not.

Again, that is hard to model, and beyond the capability of this tool. If this were my project, I would build a prototype using less expensive drivers, and make a full set of horizontal and vertical polar FR scans. Then I would compare the actual results to the VituixCad predicted results to understand how/where the simulation is limited.

You wouldn't want to use 3D sound simulation software like akabak to tackle the full problem in a cheaper, quicker and more flexible manner? (Subject of course to having the software and knowing how to use it.) I am not familiair with vituixcad but the diffraction is almost certainly a fairly approximate one based on diffraction from edges.

In the case of stacking cylinders we already know from the measurements of the speakers with the best performance (Revel Salon 2, Vivid Giya) that smoothly filling in the edges between the figure-of-8 is the way to optimise off-axis performance (which might not be a concern for the OP). The assumptions in the vituixcad diffraction tool are unlikely to be able to simulate this adequately in the way it cannot simulate waveguides. Of course if there is no filling in just sharp or rounded edged cylinders then it is likely to be closer.

Yeah votuixCAD has no 3D modeling in, but one could do such with BEM or with prototypes. You can try estimate magnitude of effects in head as well :)

Simplest is to consider wavelength, if it's much longer than dimensions of adjacent structure, the effect is minor. For example small mid-woofer tube is small for bass woofers sound, but the bass woofer tube would be relatively big for mid bandwidth wavelength. Then you could estimate how much then: take distance from center of mid cone to edge of the woofer box, which is rough approximation of delay the reflection from woofer box have before arriving to listening spot, which would make some amplitude interference pattern (combfilter). Lets estimate amplitude and bandwidth of combfilter then: If delay was say 20cm from mid cone center to woofer tube/box surface near the mid, so combfilter would start at frequency whose wavelength 20cm x 2, so from about 950Hz and up until the mid beams, for 3" dome perhaps up to 3" wavelength so any interference would be roughly between 900- 4kHz. Now imagine magnitude, sound reflects specularly like light, so if there was light bulb on the mid cone and the woofer box was mirror, would you see the light from the mirror? likely not ubless the woofer structure protrudes closer to listener than the mid. So, if there is interference it would be some secondary effect, like sound diffracting from backsides of the structure back toward listening window. These make perhaps db or few undulations, mainly somewhere else than on axis because it's already secondary or further effects with greatly diminished amplitude.

Simulation or real measurement would shownit more accurately though, but I'd say it's quite minor, less in magnitude than baffle edge secondary sound source makes.

You can't make the baffle shape a figure-of-8 to approximate the front of a neighbouring cylinder? It would seem an odd restriction if not.
This you could do yeah. In reality you could space them out a bit, not touching each other which likely reduces the interference because if the first edge diffracts, there is bit less amplitude left to diffract again, also the furthest edge (bottom of woofer, thinking sound that starts from mid), would be quite far and be quite short compared to "sound bubble" size so minor effect compared to the first edge diffraction effects.

Last edited:
Human voice fundamentals are 200-2000Hz, but harmonics and noises spread to 4000hz, with much lower spl.

Thank you for your advice. Since I was planning to cross midhigh and tweeter at 4kHz, and now am thinking of 4.5~5kHz, I guess I can equate the voice source to be just midhigh+midbass and the tweeter as a harmonics generator....

Many are happy cross at 400 and 2500Hz. LR2 gives smooth 180 deg phase change but LR4 turns 360deg and in narrower band.

My modded Avalanche active uses LR2 and 4"mid - only moderate eq was needed with Audax HM100Z0. CTC is 12cm (5")

View attachment 1326404

View attachment 1326405 View attachment 1326406 View attachment 1326407

My FIR crossover slope would be 100+dB/oct, so hopefully I can avoid or mitigate some problems with this. It's even easier at such high frequency, consuming less computing resource.

Firstly

Pls excuse my blathering on and on like a thread hogger.

Not at all. I am getting a lot of information and learning from you leading the discussion with other experts. :)

I think what you are suggesting is correct in principle. But at the risk of upsetting the lateral imaging and soundstage. This is because on axis accounts for only 50-60% of what you hear.

The 5 inch mid bass will work but this may have limited sensitivity and output over a broad 260-4000 range.

I am ditching 5" midbass due to its foam surround. My hand skill sucks and I don't want to to do the reconing of these expensive drivers with my own hands. ;=). I guess that makes the problem back to worse for vertically long voice source, but no efficiency/max SPL problem.

The Satori could be placed about the tweeter with the aim of a more coherent point source. I do feel it’s fraught with complexity and hidden problems unfortunately.

Maybe unrelated, but did you or someone propose to tilt the drivers' axes so the lines meet somewhere close in front of the driver's array? Something like what WAMM or other adjustable modular monitors do. Would it help addressing the large voice source problem?

Using DSP crossover, time alignment of the driver is nothing to worry about. If DSP time alignment can do the same as the tilting adjustment, I'd go with the DSP way.

I honestly feel you will be rewarded with simplifying the mid - hf section using a highly capable broad range mid or mid bass driver and a good tweeter. Keep it simple. You can always mess with wave guides or AMT later in f you wish.

It’s more over about your overall driver strategy as others here are outlining. Some great posts made.

The compromise is either splitting up the mid range into two bands for more focused driver optimisation or using a single driver for 400- 3000-4000.

You have mentioned the ATC dome. If you can find one great. Problems solved.

I was wondering about it when I started this thread, but then now I got contaminated by the intrigue in 4-way. I have an ATC-based 3-way already, so I guess one of many points of this project is to do something different from the past....

Given your prior system l think better means a system that can create more scale and let you further into your music emotionally.

That points to more dynamic driver combinations covering the mud and hf.

The key is using the best wide band mid driver or mid bass driver you can find.

Alternatives to the ATC

l would look at the Acoustic Elegance TD6

It’s a bit like the PHL driver mentioned in one of your replies. 94 db is going to bring out those transient nuances in percussion instruments.

I would mate that with a Bilesma tweeter as they have matching efficiency..

https://aespeakers.com/shop/td/td6m/

A variant on the above is to bring the Beleisma 29mm dome down to 1390 hertz as has +~3mm Xmax.

This gives you very low moving mass in the sensitive 2000 hertz region. You would then be able to scale up the mid cone to 8” inch like the TD8. . Those TD driver are essentially under hung motors.

I keep seeing the mentions of under hung motors. Could you explain a bit about it?

On mid drivers l would look closely at this 18Sound models.

They are state of art with incredible motor engineering that will absolutely snap with precision and deliver tonal purity.

https://www.eighteensound.it/en/products/lf-driver/10-0/8/10ntlw3500-8ohm.pdf

https://www.eighteensound.it/en/products/lf-driver/8-0/8/8NTLW2000.pdf

Crossover at 1300 hertz to Bileisma 29mm tweeter

The JBL 2123H is another alternative. This is a 3 inch voice coil with a beautiful mid on vocals that won the hearts and minds of numerous studios in the 1980’s.

They are plentiful on EBay. I use them and lm not looking to change it out.

Crossover to the 29mm Biliesma tweeter at 1300 hertz.

https://www.eighteensound.it/en/products/lf-driver/6-5/8/6ntlw2000.pdf

Crossover at 3000 hertz to Bileisma 29mm tweeter with dsp

I am looking at these options as practical for diy and as really excellent transducers that will put your mid and Hf in under 12 inches.

This approach makes your mid high section compact and very capable while simplifying your LF design.

I do appreciate your feeling a bit iffy about building boxes. The above options only require smallish enclosures that could be a sono tube

Take your time on it. Leave it all alone for a bit and then decide. These is a lot of great ideas and suggestions from well meaning people here.

Thank you very much for another set of suggestions. I will try to digest them sooner or later.

Does this sketch make sense? I think the implementation is fairly straightforward.

A sono tube say 10 inch diameter tube and mdf or ply end caps. Router out a grove for the tube in the end caps to slide the tub into and router a curve on the cap. Then router the driver cut out. 35cm deep gives out 17L.

I am sure some diy friends can help you out with the woofer(s) enclosure.

Instead of two drivers covering the mid use a mid with more grunt and pick out a matching tweeter with similar sensitivity

Because the Bileisma 29mm tweeters can cut at 1300 this opens up more possibilities for a mid bass or mid driver. It has 3 mm X max.

All the impact comes from well over the floor delivering a more open tactile presentation.

On the acoustics the wider driver diameter & baffle will let your mid bass/ mid driver go down lower which is what you want.

Yes, except the middle one looking tilted. Do you suggest making it kind of diamond-y shape?