5th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2008

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
chrisb said:
to set aside a fixed period of time for scheduled listening, with no stepping on someone else's "demo"?

I agree. Running the big system meant no one else could do any critical listening.

hehe :D

Seriously though it's a good idea if you can deal with the logistics. So many amps, players, dac's, cables, speakers and other goodies, it might be a bit of a challenge.

Scott and Moray,

Thanks for your comments vis-a-vis the F120A Fonkens. They're destined for my living room when Bud finishes up with them and it's always nice to read positive comments about them.

Sounds like the fest was a blast. I would have loved to have been there, but right now that's not really possible.

Big thanks to Dave, Chris, and Bud for all their effort on this project! F200As next? :)

-- Jim

Here's the plots of the Silver Iris OB's before and after we flipped tweeter polarity. These aren't very good data sets seeing as we had major floor bounce and other reflections but if you squint in bad light I'd say you'd get some idea of reality.

It's not so much the discontinuity in the blue phase trace at 2KHz that concerns me (that's just a normal phase wrap as phase hits +pi) It's the phase shift between 5.5 ad 6.5KHz that seems wrong.

After we swapped the tweeters they did sound smoother, better integrated; made you want to listen to them forever.

Perhaps the owner (was it Dave or Bob?) can tell us what the XO frequency is. If it's 6KHz then I would say that we did the right thing reversing the tweeter. If it's something else - well, maybe we should re-evaluate the decision.

Any thoughts?

P.S. Dave, yes, got your email, I'm an idiot.

Attachments

• silveririsobsm.png
    silveririsobsm.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 175
Cal, Moray et al....

back from Calgary, should have results in a few days---thanks for your concern, Cal.

Moray, trip was way too hasty so, unfortunately didn't call or drop by, but if you need the transformers let me know, I'll send em up to you. If you need some frames, let me know too, I may have something suitable here.

I agree some kinda of "tagging" might be good for people and things (and maybe cats too).

Dave, send me an email for ftp forwarding of photos to Ruth, please.

Jeff and Terry, hoping to put a few bits of aluminium (the correct English spelling) together and in the mail for each. I'll try to write up some nice instrux as well. I'll leave the "pedestrian" bits to you to gather--I'm sure both can find a dead ball point pen, and a surplus counter-weight from an old table. I'll get some speednuts and make something for a headshell. You'll both have to kill a n already crippled mouse or get some other wiring and some male RCA ends.

later,

stew

Cal Weldon said:

I agree. Running the big system meant no one else could do any critical listening.

hehe :D

Seriously though it's a good idea if you can deal with the logistics. So many amps, players, dac's, cables, speakers and other goodies, it might be a bit of a challenge.

There should be time for speakers that do not need a microscope to see (and/or hear)...my useless 2 cents...FWIW...YMMV...or do not let them in...

Richard

T-head: you should have hung out with us on the back deck. We did the whole Brit-rock thing from Genesis, Yes, Floyd through Bruford plus a healthy dose of classic US rock from Steve Miller, Little Feat and Eagles. I even played some Porcupine Tree!!!

I think it's about finding media that shows off the audio system well. A good sound system needs a good recording and most good recordings are chicks & soft jazz these days. Everything else is compressed to oblivion.

I almost played some classical (am I the only person with classical music on their Ipod?) but didn't have the balls. Now there's some good recordings!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Iain McNeill said:
T-head: you should have hung out with us on the back deck. We did the whole Brit-rock thing from Genesis, Yes, Floyd through Bruford plus a healthy dose of classic US rock from Steve Miller, Little Feat and Eagles. I even played some Porcupine Tree!!!

I think it's about finding media that shows off the audio system well. A good sound system needs a good recording and most good recordings are chicks & soft jazz these days. Everything else is compressed to oblivion.

I almost played some classical (am I the only person with classical music on their Ipod?) but didn't have the balls. Now there's some good recordings!

If I ever get the chance to attend I'll bring some Good 'ol C&W and a little JD Black to sip on. After a few JD's the C&W starts sounding pretty good! :drunk:

Iain,

I definitely missed that...was probably dancing to Cals big boys or entranced with the 15" Silver Iris OBs...maybe next year. I do have classical on my Imod and in my house (my moms recordings from her days as 2nd violin for the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra). We had season tickets throughout high school...my presence was mandatory.

C2CThomas...definitely bring the JD...everything sounds better ;),at least til you pass out...even chicks and soft jazz...

I had and played hours of the chicks and soft jazz thing...I like it...I was just noting that there is more to music than just that...sometimes a little volume and variety is not a bad thing...somewhere it seems to me the audiophile thing was about music...all kinds...assuming decent recording...'nuff said...back to chicks and soft jazz...diana krall wants me to love her like a man and I think I'll comply...nora wants me to come away with her afterwords...I think I will...

t

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Next Year's game.

Since I'm the idiot who started zapping himself with the electric fly swatter... :hot:

- tho Moray got the most impressive spark -

I suggest next year we take bets and guess on the voltage and current supplied by that little booger.

Any takers? What will be the prize? A straight jacket? :zombie:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Cal, Moray et al....

Nanook said:
Dave, send me an email for ftp forwarding of photos to Ruth, please.

In the Finder, Go>iDisk>Other Users Public Folder, type in tlinespeakers, the password is Marley (those are instructions for Panther/Tiger. Leopard might be a biy different

It will appear as a hard drive on yout Mac. Just copy the files over and let me know.

dave

t-head said:
Iain,

I had and played hours of the chicks and soft jazz thing...I like it...I was just noting that there is more to music than just that...sometimes a little volume and variety is not a bad thing...somewhere it seems to me the audiophile thing was about music...all kinds...assuming decent recording...'nuff said...back to chicks and soft jazz...diana krall wants me to love her like a man and I think I'll comply...nora wants me to come away with her afterwords...I think I will...

t

and damn if that Alison doesn't wants me to let her touch me for a while (at only $19.95 per minute?)

but let Amy Winehouse loose on a party of us old farts ( or sensible young 'uns) , and watch us disperse

BTW, after Jesse managed to fix the broken tray in my Jolida CD player, he left a copy of Holly Cole "Temptation" in the machine. I hadn't listened to that for several years - this ain't no "chicks and soft jazz"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.