A 'how to' for solving MDF Expansion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sploo said:
I don't know how chemically similar epoxy paints and marine epoxy resin are, but (limited) experience so far is indicating that a complete covering of marine epoxy (what would be on both the inside and outside of a speaker box) might work.

Hmm, epoxy paint. I think this kind of paint is generally tougher than most other paints as well? Could also save hassle and expense of coating the box in epoxy resin.

I'd like to see more on this method.

A mate of mine builds radio controlled planes (using epoxy to lay up sheets for the body and wings) and is planning on painting them using epoxy based paints from these guys: http://www.baronpaints.co.uk/index.htm

He's not actually sprayed any of the stuff yet, but, depending on how my epoxy experiments go, he's offered to test some MDF pieces for me at some point.

He thinks the chemical make-up of the two products is probably very different... not that we've checked on the tubs.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Ed LaFontaine said:
I believe "water resistant" is an indication that they won't melt in the presence of water.

Bob Barkto said:

It will slow water vapor penetration, not stop it.
Some short term swings in RH will be mitigated to the point they are no concern. Seasonal changes of a duration of a few days will have as much effect as if there was no finish at all.

There is no "..good as saying".
It either does the job or it doesn't.

Link to the type of paint I generally use:
http://www.overflex.com/Product.asp?frm_product_id=617&SBL=5

It's waterproof Ed. Satisfied?:)

Bob: The stuff I use, at the thickness it's applied, water vapor will not penetrate. Fluctuations in the relative hunidity or seasonal changes have no effect at all on the finished product. Sorry, but I have been doing this succesfully for years, and I don't live in a glass bubble. Where I live, the climate is very extreme, from +35 Celsius or more in the summer with high humidity to -20 in the winter and everything in between.
Somehow everyone seems to not get the most important point: make sure the MDF box is as dry as it can be before finishing.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
sploo said:
A mate of mine builds radio controlled planes (using epoxy to lay up sheets for the body and wings) and is planning on painting them using epoxy based paints from these guys: http://www.baronpaints.co.uk/index.htm

He's not actually sprayed any of the stuff yet, but, depending on how my epoxy experiments go, he's offered to test some MDF pieces for me at some point.

Epoxy will give good results, but is a pain to use. It's 2 part that needs to be mixed thouroghly, has a limited open time, and is harder to clean up - especially the gun. IMO, it's not worth the extra expense and hassle.

Good thread, although I must admit that it seems that some people have over-reacted (at times) to perceived criticism.

I, to, live in an area with wide variations in temperature and humidity (0C to 45C, 5% to 100%). With the only pair of MDF boxes that I currently have, I have had no problems with expansion/contraction. They are sealed (design), are veneered (3/16" Tassie Oak) and clear sealed. The inside of the MDF was not treated in any way. So, I'm not sure what I've done right (or wrong, but without noticing).

The boxes that are being looked at here (Bob, Shin, MJ, anyone), are they sealed or ported (or other type of "inside of the box open to the elements) types? If they are 'open', has the MDF on the inside of the box been sealed or not? Could this be having an effect?

I'm going to collect both methods listed herein and anything else that comes up later. My MDF has been sitting round for about a year now and it's ready to build a box out of, and ditto for the ply for another pair of boxes.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Cloth Ears said:
I, to, live in an area with wide variations in temperature and humidity (0C to 45C, 5% to 100%). With the only pair of MDF boxes that I currently have, I have had no problems with expansion/contraction. They are sealed (design), are veneered (3/16" Tassie Oak) and clear sealed. The inside of the MDF was not treated in any way. So, I'm not sure what I've done right (or wrong, but without noticing).

The boxes that are being looked at here (Bob, Shin, MJ, anyone), are they sealed or ported (or other type of "inside of the box open to the elements) types? If they are 'open', has the MDF on the inside of the box been sealed or not? Could this be having an effect?

Cloth Ears: The fact that your box is sealed helps the situation. When the box is ported, moist air can enter. Although it's my contention that the biggest problem comes from the initial drying out period after construction, too much moisture in the air that enters a speaker port can (potentially) cause a problem. Therefore it's a good idea to seal the inside too.
It's the finish that's being looked at, not so much the box. Shin is going for (and has accomplished) the classic "piano black", where you have a perfectly mirrored black surface. I have done the same, but used a different method. Although the method that I outlined seems daunting, it will give perfect consistant results if followed to the letter. Preperation, paint type, # of prime coats, # of paint coats, and most important: drying time. Be patient and don't take any shortcuts.

MJL21193 said:
Although the method that I outlined seems daunting, it will give perfect consistant results if followed to the letter. Preperation, paint type, # of prime coats, # of paint coats, and most important: drying time. Be patient and don't take any shortcuts.

I tend to keep my wood around for a year before I use it, so that I'm not bitten by changes in the wood after it being cut/created/pressed. So an extra couple of days/weeks after construction and prior to the finishing won't both me at all...:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Bob Barkto said:
Oh the irony...

The finish on them is the same as what you claim to use!
Except in clear so the wood can be seen.

Bob, I fail to see the irony, as if you had finished them in the same way that I "claim" to use, there would be no problem.
Have you bothered to look through all of my posts on this and have a look at the pictures with them?
I do this kind of stuff for a living. I don't have anything to prove, just thought I'd pass on some good advice and teardown some myths while I was at it.

In my recent example the boxes are vented, and the veneer is nowhere near 3/8". More like 1/16" (don't have a scrap handy to measure).

MDF can't really be acclimated or seasoned in the same way solid wood can.
It fully reacts almost instantly to changes in RH.
It has to be brought to a certain mc and finished nearly immediately. Even overnight it will re-acclimate to it's surroundings.

Solid wood can take days, months or years, depending.

Cloth Ears said:

I tend to keep my wood around for a year before I use it, so that I'm not bitten by changes in the wood after it being cut/created/pressed. So an extra couple of days/weeks after construction and prior to the finishing won't both me at all...:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Cloth Ears said:

So an extra couple of days/weeks after construction and prior to the finishing won't both me at all...:)

There! That's exactly the right attitude of a successful build. :)
When I was younger, I tried to do it all in one day. Well, that just made a mess. Now that I've learned a thing or two, and can appreciate the value of a fine set of speakers, I take my time and do it right.

Just addressing your comment that I should "use the right finish".
Which, according to you, I did. I find that ironic.

Nothing pertaining to technique or process was mentioned or implied, by you in your reply, or by me.

I have used very similar techniques and materials as you describe with perfectly acceptable results.

There are exceptional cases where "your" method will be ineffective.

I also do this for a living. And I have skimmed your posts.
What you fail to realize is that your method, while sound and proper, is not the cure for the exceptional cases being discussed here.

While I certainly appreciate myth busting, I tend to do that myself, most of what is occurring here seems to be confusion in terminology, lack of experience and knowledge and a bit of the DIY syndrome.
In other words a reluctance to try or accept that some things just don't work or a professional solution is somehow anathema to a DIY effort.

I'm not bashing you or denigrating your efforts ad hoc. Just offering my opinion of your approach based on my experience.

No hard feelings.

MJL21193 said:

Bob, I fail to see the irony, as if you had finished them in the same way that I "claim" to use, there would be no problem.
Have you bothered to look through all of my posts on this and have a look at the pictures with them?
I do this kind of stuff for a living. I don't have anything to prove, just thought I'd pass on some good advice and teardown some myths while I was at it.

Old people

It's very easy to hurry. Even for "old timers" like ourselves.
I used to marvel at the impatience of "young" people.
Really, it's a myth that young people are more impatient.
20 years ago I was teaching a finishing course for "senior citizens". Most impatient lot you'll ever find.
Taught me a thing or two.

When I was young I learned how to do, then I did, then I taught.
Now I'm repeating the process!

Cloth Ears said:

Bob, I realise this, but I am also lazy :)

I have never been younger than I am right now (43 & 5/6) - or if I have, then I try not to remember it... which is becoming easier all the time.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Bob Barkto said:
There are exceptional cases where "your" method will be ineffective.
What you fail to realize is that your method, while sound and proper, is not the cure for the exceptional cases being discussed here.

Bob, I've been on this thread from the start, and if there is an exceptional case that's been talked about, I must have missed it. I thought we were talking about MDF finishing problems? "My" method will withstand complete submersion in water with minimal harm. I think it's safe to say it's ready for the exceptional cases.
As far a busting myths, I'm into demystifying the speaker building process too. There's too much misinformation and half truths coming from every quarter, too much bickering about details that have no impact. I'm trying to introduce a little clear thinking and solid fact based information, so that the novice builder will not be beaten into not starting a project because he doesn't know all of all minute intricate details about things that don't matter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.