A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Across the hundreds of pages of this wonderful thread, I have seen some amazing pictures of the various builds many of you have done. When I was discussing my DDDAC build with local friends and asked them where all could I bring about improvements (power supplies, etc. etc.), one very interesting input came in and that was to replace the hook up wire that I was using between my 12V PSU and the DDDAC motherboard and 5V PSU to WaveIO board. I was advised to replace it with a thicker, more insulated and more tightly twisted wire. As a result of this suggestion, I started looking at builds done by DD, Simon, eduard, and many others here. I saw some thick wires being used.

So my question to you is, what kind of hook up wire should be ideally used between the PSU and DDDAC/WAVEIO and the SPDIF connection and the SPDIF connector? Also, is there a downside when using a very thin wires for these applications? If I switch to a thicker and more insulated wire, would I be able to hear any sonic benefits as a result?

Hi Kartick - A project is only as good as its weakest link.

You would have read on here how a really good power supply improves the DAC, this is very true in all audio applications in my experience.

So it makes sense to ensure that this great PSU is connected to the DAC and other components as best you can otherwise the wire becomes the weakest link.

The PSU delivers power made up of voltage and current. I am sure you know that the more current you need = a bigger wire conductor is needed to supply that current from the PSU to the device demanding it e.g. the DAC.

Of course with the DAC it is not like a power amp which demands far higher current but the principles are the same.

So in summary you should ensure the hook up cables you are are of a good size to ensure no power is being restricted by those cables after all you spent the time building a great DAC and a PSU so hooking it up with the right cables is just as important. ;)

I have changed psu from this one

Attachments

• 142D5F58-014C-49C0-9D21-B607D7106754.jpg
    142D5F58-014C-49C0-9D21-B607D7106754.jpg
    900.3 KB · Views: 291
If you look at the old PSU you had it was in effect using Doede PSUs anyway with some modifications ;)

...now if you try a true Choke PSU like some of us have designed then this is a true comparison

No need after installing the Ucconditioners. I am very happy with the sound for time beeing. Bass is tight and clean, a lots of details never heard before, and so on...

@smooth dancer

I was planning to measure the Doede's PSU later, as I am currently working on a regulator comparison for DDDAC, but after your post I took 12V DDDAC PSU out of the box, changed output to 5V, loaded it with 800ma and measured this (scope used as data logger only):
DDDACPSU_5-5MNoise_5V_800ma_load.png

For the next picture, I turned off almost all of the equipment in the house, including LED lamps. Only DDDAC PSU, noise measurement equipment, oscilloscope and candles:) Sorry, there are no broadband measurements here, special shield is required at this level.
DDDAC PSU 15V Talema, 5V out, no load.
DDDACPSU_5-5KNoise_5V_no_load.png

Pictures are indicative, these levels require preparation for precise numbers, but one thing is clear: DDDAC PSU performance is in exceptional, Talema transformer is the weakest point. An unloaded PSU with Talema shows a noise level close to batteries (maybe outperforms it!).