A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

Problem with change to FiFoPi

Hello all, thanks so much for all the great info on this thread, so much to learn! I recently switched from WaveIO to RPI/FiFoPi and am having a problem when I test it with my amp. The RPI/FiFoPi appears to be functioning fine (lights up properly when data stream starts) and worked without issue with a DAC hat I have. I installed with the DDDAC and when I power on I get very loud popping in the speakers to the point of sounding damaging. I’ve checked my connections (DATA>SD/DI | LRC>LR/DO | BCK>SCK) to the DDDAC and it looks fine. Any suggestions on what might be the issue? I am connecting to my amp via XLR as I was previously with the WaveIO, which worked fine. RCA is not currently connected, so am only able to test XLR right now (can hook up if need be). Thanks! -Per

Attachments

• A4D59BEE-3113-45E1-B26C-59B61A2ACE11.jpg
    A4D59BEE-3113-45E1-B26C-59B61A2ACE11.jpg
    996.1 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Signal ground

Thanks for the reply Hifoli. Do you mean double check that the u.fl connectors are fully seated? I did detach them last night to double check the connections from u.fl to pin connector, so will double check that they are fully seated. I made a connector based on what the AudioCreative guys are doing, so it is just u.fl to DDDAC I2S pin for the 3 connections. Oh and I do like tidy connections, thanks!!

Update - Thanks Hifoli, I believe I have soldered the connector incorrectly, so will separate out the signal ground and retest. I will report back with what I find.

Last edited:
Thanks

no it means there need to be 4th wire going from FiFoPi to the DAC just connect both Grounds. I see all GND pins on the 10 pole connector are still free, so that is most likely the issue?

Thanks Hifoli and Doede, I had the shield connected to the pin and that caused just a terrible noise. I am remaking the connector and will report back. Sleep deprivation from a 2 year old can cause poor decisions sometimes :)

What is the problem with increased latency?
Well, if the DDDac is used for video watching one might be annoyed by a fifi-buffers 500-700ms delay. The Allo Kali specifies 700ms delay but I was unable to find that information for the Ian Fifopi.
Some software video-players like KODI allows for configurable video and audio offset. It might be possible to compensate for the fifo-buffers delay here, but in "appliance" boxes like DVD/Blu-ray players, TV's or Set Top boxes that might not be an option.
For pure music enjoyment I also don't see a problem with a small delay.

Sure, be our guest! At which position are you putting this Salas regulator ?
It will be in the same position as the Tent, see image. A quick mock-up.
I am using the Salas UBiB in other projects that I am working on, so wanted to try or use this shuntreg in the dac as well :)

This Salas UBiB is adapted to some BJT's I have laying around.

Attachments

• Shunt.jpg
    Shunt.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 315
It is clear that this depends on the vision of what a DAC is and how the DAC will be used. I shared my vision, and maybe no one shares my vision:) It's okay for me, everyone has different views on DAC:) There is no latency problem for any stored music collection.
The latency/delay problem is why I chose the hermes/cronus solution from Twisted Pear Audio over a fifo solution like Ian canada or Allo.

But it's not a universal solution, you need to slave the i2s source

It is clear that this depends on the vision of what a DAC is and how the DAC will be used. I shared my vision, and maybe no one shares my vision:) It's okay for me, everyone has different views on DAC:) There is no latency problem for any stored music collection.

The latency/delay problem is why I chose the hermes/cronus solution from Twisted Pear Audio over a fifo solution like Ian canada or Allo.

But it's not a universal solution, you need to slave the i2s source

Could you be a bit more specific about what you think the "problem" is in practical terms? I don't get it, but I'd like to understand.

the "problem" is in practical terms

when you use your dac to watch video

Ok, even more specific. I like live performances and concerts, this market will only grow. It was obvious 2 years ago. And quality is not a issue anymore, Internet channels so fat, what live HD is not problem too. But in terms of software, you probably have no choice, it is offered in a manufacturer's format. If a few years ago I was asked about "video", I replied that I was not interested, this is the same as my music collection, only worse, but now the quality of the offered content has changed and the sound quality has changed too. And in many cases you have no choice, recordings may never be published as downloads. If video means MTV clips, films or broadcast records, DDDAC is overkill of course:)

Hi.
I have ordered 2 LDOVR 3.3V regulators (LT3045-78XX 3.3V) for me and another DDDac builder, but are concerned that it could be a while before these will show up. I would now like to buy some normal 3.3V regulators from a local store, so I can "play" with my new Fifopi Q3 in the Christmas holiday. The problem is the power consumption of the Fifopi. The manual states 100mA (and maybe a little more depending on the crystals). In the Doede solution using the 12V supply and a 163 Ohm resistor, it is stated as using from 38-44mA (see SimonJ's post 8222).
If the device is really using around 100mA I should probably not use some of the normal (cheap) regulators. I guess the 38-44mA comes from actual measurements but why would Ian then specify >100mA ? Any thoughts on this?

The power consumption on the 3,3 V side is a measuerd value with Accusilicon clocks on it in MY set-up . So the 100mA is just some kind of guidance and not the consumption of the electronics with no clocks plugged in.

some clocks consume more, some less. Just take your DMM in mA position and measure it....

I am sure you will have a small lab supply for the hobby right? that will show you also the mA consumption at 3.3 V