A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

After a huge amount of research and work I have finally completed my 5th DDDAC build, this is the best one for sure! :D I have called this my DDDAC Signature build as it have everything.

1. 4 DAC TENT stack with updates on the blue motherboard
2. Transformer volume control coupled output
3. I am using Roon with a Pi3 RoPieee endpoint, with Ian Canada StationPi, FiFoPi Q3, ReclockPi & SinePi (y)
4. Audio Creative Magic PSU which is CLC PSU design for the 12v and Ian's UcPure 3.3v for the ReclockPi & SinePi and a 5v SMPS to power the Pi3s
5. Andrea WTMC clocks - these are in the lower case always on and powered by Ian's UcPure
6. Custom PCB hosting an Arduino Mega board to allow full remote control for selecting inputs, volume, turning off the displays, altering brightness and contrast and more ;)
7. Custom case panels
8. Touch sensitive display to show the music that's playing ad allow another way to control the music, next track, stop etc

I would like to thank my dear friend Doede for all his dedication to this project enabling us all to build dacs like this. I would also like to thank Doede for all the extra support he has given me over the years and particularly this build, I could not have done it without him! :cheers::worship:

I would also like to thanks Ian and Andrea for there super products that really have enable this build to be something very special, IT SOUNDS AMAZING! :grouphug:(y)

Pictures attached. :giggle:
Absolutely stunning!! Super work there Simon.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Kartick,

What is interesting is that despite so much work done on the USB side of things, I sense the SPIDF at times to be playing better than the USB and I am perplexed. A lot of money has gone on to the USB side and overall I believe from whatever I have read on this thread, you all mostly prefer the USB miles ahead of the SPIDF on the DDDAC.

Question 1 - What could be the cause here or what could I be doing wrong?

The SPDIF is very good. I made a version with lots of different inputs going via SPDIF and an RPI connected directly via i2s and both sounded great. The i2s was the stand out
Question 2 - Is there anyone who has completely tried to eliminate the USB input from the DDDAC?
See above
Question 3 - Has someone tried using the Pi2AES to supply i2s signal directly to the DDDAC motherboard? I tried it once but could not get any signal to reach the DDDAC. May be it was a connection error at my end or maybe the motherboard doesn’t acknowledge this direct i2s signal as from the back side selection switch, it can either detect usb or spidf input coming in. As per my judgment, USB selection should have been made and that is what I had done but still there was no sound. Has anyone else been able to use Pi2AES with the DDDAC?
Works for me without problem. The signal from Wave with /without reclocking is I2S I will shortly be trying a longer I2S lead from a streamer rather than same case Pi as previously

Hope that helps
David

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone tried using the Pathaudio resistors at the Rload position of the DDDAC? I just upgraded my crossover a couple of months ago and these resistors blew my mind in that application. These are 10watt rated and superb tolerance levels. The only issue i see is the size but pro diyers on this forum can do it easily. Worth trying I guess?

Last edited:
They have a stated 1% tolerance which is ok and not a big deal when compared to 1950ties carbon composition resistors. Did you measure the tolerance of the new resitors and compared it to the old resistors and maybe checked for a change in DC offset? A change in sound could very well be at least partly be caused by a change in dc offset. Specifically when using output transformers.

They have a stated 1% tolerance which is ok and not a big deal when compared to 1950ties carbon composition resistors. Did you measure the tolerance of the new resitors and compared it to the old resistors and maybe checked for a change in DC offset? A change in sound could very well be at least partly be caused by a change in dc offset. Specifically when using output transformers.
Yes, even the regarded Vishay Naked Z-foils had DC imbalances which they caused. Moving to AudioNotes brought the dc offset down to 0. I have been particular with that and hence going to such resistors with close tolerances has helped me nullify the DC completely with my 4 deck DDDAC. Anyhow, my post was more to check if anyone tried the PathAudio resistors for their sound primarily.

Hi,
A question for @Doede. I remember reading in your construction notes then importance of having a clock connection to each DAC board otherwise there's a risk of frying a DAC board. If I'm connecting an external I2S source by HDMI plug does this still apply? In other words, if the cable becomes unplugged will I fry the DAC chips?
David

Hi,

In dddac board kit from creativeshop is used another type jfet on ccs pin20. Marking code on SMD body is J3K.
With this fet seting 40mV is not stable and very sensitive.
J3K is for 2sk3666, K grade is 1.2 to 3mA
2sk208-O marking code is JO for O grade 0.6 to 1.4mA -easily adjustable to 40mV.

This is already the case since a couple of years without any problems. The 2sk208 was obsolete or hard to get, so I took the 2sk3666-3 as replacement.
I never had any issue with stability nor heard of any so far. So please send me your test report showing the sensitivity and instability versus the 2sk208. I will look into it. For me there is no reason for any worries. The current throug the FET is 400uA and with the 2k trimmer you will be able to get a negative UGS of max 0,8 Volt Which is more than enough to get a stable value even when the spread of this FET would be at the max of 3mA. In case you refer to turning the trimmer in regard to sensitivity, you could replace the 2k trimmer with a 1k or 500 Ohm. This will give you more turns per Ohm, making it may be a bit easier to set the 40mV. May be a mother note. The 40mV is not a critical value, like 40,000 or so 39,5 or 41 will also do the job nicely for example

Last edited:
I've got a very strange DDDAC problem. I've just added 2 more DAC boards to a build. SPDIF input works fine but on USV, using a Wave IO board, the DAC restarts the track as if there's some locking problem. If the signal is lost my streamer will restart a track.

Any clues anyone?
Thanks
David

Hi David, not 100% clear what your issue is? What is an USV? When you say "the DAC restarts the track"; The DAC it self will not restart anything. It just receives the I2S signal. How would your Streamer know the signal is lost? There is no feedback mechanism in the I2S. Maybe you mean that the WaveIO is not working correctly and hence do not report back to the streamer hardware, that all is fine, yes than the track will stop.

And after you added boards. I would guess, a cable issue with poor contacts after you rebuilt it? Or a power supply issue where the WaveIO does not get enough power? Is it powered by the streamer or an own power supply? What voltage do you measure at the power input of the WaveIO? Also do you still have the problem, when you power off the DDDAC (remove the 12 Volt plus wire)? this might help you honing in on the spot where the actual issue is.... The status LEDs on the WaveIO might give some clue too...