A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Audiofrenzy.... having good sounding panels is an opinion, you are aware of that I hope. because other audio folks would say no panels on the face of the planet sounds good ! none, nada, zip, they all sound bad, clean your ears out.

So when you suggest your way is right because your panels sound good, please be aware that that is an opinion.

peace out......

Reactions: 1 user
After taking a quick look at the COSMOS literature, it looks like you'll need the Advanced Professional version to do that.
Working on it. I have a friend that uses it and my extensive CAD experience is in mechanisms and medical devices not vibrational analysis and FEA. So as you suggest may have to take a simpler approach. Also I have a number of projects, not speakers, underway so when the Misses finds out about this one I might be leaving this earth. :) I may have to finish the greenhouse that I started two years ago to placate her so that will slow me down.

Which proves you arent paying attention to what I say.
Listen up EVERYONE, please pay attention Audiofrenzy is speaking, so listen up good, or you'll get an ear bashing...... Audiofrenzy has good sounding panels because other people told him so, and they can't be wrong cause they agree with Audiofrenzy's opinion ...... and any more than 1 opinion makes a fact don't you know, but any one else who disagrees with Audiofrenzy is wrong, so listen up... it's Audiofrenzies way... or the highway.... hoy you in the corner... stop pick'n your nose.

:headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash:

You must think that this is the first time I've ever shown parts of my design and work. Which proves you arent paying attention to what I say. You just came to jump on the bandwagon of drama. :ROFLMAO:

Also that is not one of my "PROVEN" designs.....its just an experimental one that may or may not work.
No it was a censer thank you for the post. I think the thread has enough drama. I was going to use BMRs alone before discovering DMLs for an application I have and may go back to them. That is why I posted the test data on the Philharmonic BMR speakers in an earlier post in this thread.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...s-as-a-full-range-speaker.272576/post-7373746

Last edited:
Listen up EVERYONE, please pay attention Audiofrenzy is speaking, so listen up good, or you'll get an ear bashing...... Audiofrenzy has good sounding panels because other people told him so, and they can't be wrong cause they agree with Audiofrenzy's opinion ...... and any more than 1 opinion makes a fact don't you know, but any one else who disagrees with Audiofrenzy is wrong, so listen up... it's Audiofrenzies way... or the highway.... hoy you in the corner... stop pick'n your nose.

:headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash::headbash:
Not enough caps too take you seriously.

Timcognito and Audiofrenzy.
I went to the ascot audio show last weekend and quite liked the sound of this BMR speaker.
But they do not have the same sound stage of a dml panel.
I also was lent some BMR units to test ,but have not got around to it yet.
Steve.

Attachments

• 20231001_103256.jpg
    20231001_103256.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 68
Hi everyone

Do you have any particular preference for which amplifier to use when playing DML?
TPA3255, IR2092, LM1875, vacuum tube...etc.
Do you have any special recommendations and reasons?
If a DSP pre-amplifier is used, is there any special difference in the type of post-amplifier used?

I personally think it’s because DML uses DSP for EQ adjustment.
It seems that the power amplifier will not be much different as long as it is Class D, right?

Thank you for your sharing and replies

You must think that this is the first time I've ever shown parts of my design and work. Which proves you arent paying attention to what I say. You just came to jump on the bandwagon of drama. :ROFLMAO:

Also that is not one of my "PROVEN" designs.....its just an experimental one that may or may not work.
Audiofrenzy, it is about one year I haven't updated the history file. Could you post here the links to previous posts (this thread or from other forums) where you shown your design?
Christian

Hi everyone

Do you have any particular preference for which amplifier to use when playing DML?
TPA3255, IR2092, LM1875, vacuum tube...etc.
Do you have any special recommendations and reasons?
If a DSP pre-amplifier is used, is there any special difference in the type of post-amplifier used?

I personally think it’s because DML uses DSP for EQ adjustment.
It seems that the power amplifier will not be much different as long as it is Class D, right?

Thank you for your sharing and replies
Cheap class D board like TPA3116 tweaked as described in other threads of this forum (gain reduction, good capacitors and volume) do the job for me. For now I haven't found the DSP board...sometime, I think to try a fanless PC under Linux + Camilla + a 5.1 USB sound card. There are also threads about that... but need to find additional time. Probably in a next future.
Christian

JMC sound board uses only a single panel. So its probably 4 exciters for right channel and 4 exciters for the left.

The board is 1/4 inch thick so it needs a lot of exciters.
The main driver of efficiency is the density of the material. JMC board is made of spruce used for piano sound board (390 to 460kg/m³). The thickness drives the lowest frequency reachable (1s mode).

Reactions: 1 users
Guys, from the in-depth quick scan ( :ROFLMAO:) I've done of recent posts, it would seem that those people who load "sound clips" of their "DML panels" but who post vids of their fkkin carpets instead, are either very ashamed of the construction of their work, or they are conspiracy theorists of the highest order. Of course, sufferers of the DK effect, besides valuing their opinions over-much, also tend to use emoticons over-much. It's easy to tell who they are.
Any school boy can take a video of a carpet while playing their highly EQ'd, cheap little computer monitors and claim it's their "latest design". Yawn... It's also the type of person who would one day take a vid of their speakers but who would actually be playing different speakers in the back ground. It's also the type of guy who thinks that a cell-phone recording honestly reproduces an accurate sound of something playing through a recorded interface, and who thinks that their ears are an objective measurement of a piece of engineering art.

Maybe it's time to apply an entrance exam to get rid of wanna-be speaker builders but who don't wanna-learn and who think that their baseless and 90% incorrect OPINIONS outweigh decent engineering and science and experience?

I find the Ignore facility here works quite well.

You mean sincere? Alright. What is your application for DML's?
I designed, fabricated, and installed a 16' X 9' curved steam bent wooden shoji screen light diffusor for under a 4' X 16' skylight in my home in 2009. I want to put speakers that have wide horizontal diffusion pattern hidden behind them. I have been studying the work of Carlsson and Larson of Larson speakers where sound is deliberately non-focused but detailed and stereo. BMRs seemed excellent but DMLs might be even better with some DSP. I will replace my fiberglass shoji "paper" with sound transmitting cloth.
1696610745062.png

Please forgive my dyslexic typing, it's been a problem all my life.

Reactions: 1 users
With DML's you are starting from scratch as you will need a make a diaphragm material with a frame or spine or something to hold the panel all together then there comes the question of if it will sound good as a DML's sound is based on ones design.
Yes I know BMRs are inexpensive and can supplemented with conventional HF and LF drivers, as in the Philharmonic BMR speaker I posted. I may start there for the house because wiring, amplification, DSP and cloth can be installed and used for them with very good sound. Still I am intrigued that the dispersion of of the DML will sound better and looks are not important in this hidden location. Also, full range one panel is not my goal so hybrids are okay. I have a complete shop in a separate garage/shop building and can build almost anything.