Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Regarding non-uniqueness mitigation methods, this is what ABEC's documentation says:

"In ABEC experiments were done implementing the CHIEF [25], Burton and Miller [26] and the Dual Surface Method [27]. A good compromise of calculation speed, stability and accuracy in the given context provides the Dual Surface Method. The other method may follow for final implementation at a later stage."

25. Schenk, H: Improved integral formulation for acoustic radiation problems, JASA 44, Dec 1967
26. Burton, A; Miller, G: The application of integral methods to the numerical solution of some exterior boundary-value problems, Proc Roy Soc London A 323, 1971
27. Mohson, A; Piscoya, R; Ochmann, M: The application of the dual surface method to treat the nonuniqueness in solving acoustic exterior problems, Acta Acoustica, Vol 97, 2011

So, obviously, it was addressed. I don't remember if I ever used this feature (NUC=true in Control_Solver).

Example:

Attachments

• Non-uniqueness.png
    Non-uniqueness.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 253
That seems a likely explanation, Dimitrij.
NUC is mentioned in a lot of horn-related research literature, including the thesis of M. Makarski.

Yes, it is common problem in BEM. I also faced NUCs by modeling horns in Axidriver, where narrow sharp peaks also appeared.

Btw bear in mind, that if you set NUC=true in Abec3 to overcome the NUC problem the calculations last considerably longer (by a factor of 2, if I am correct).

For those interested in the paper by Mohson, A; Piscoya, R; Ochmann, M: The application of the dual surface method to treat the nonuniqueness in solving acoustic exterior problems, Acta Acoustica, Vol 97, 2011.

Attachments

• The application of the dual surface method to treat the nonuniqueness in solving acoustic exteri.pdf
    538.5 KB · Views: 93
"In Section 3.4.2 the effects of the non-uniqueness of the solution of the interior Laplace problem with a Neumann boundary condition were discussed. The boundary integral Equations have a similar property at the characteristic wavenumbers, and this is also often termed the non-uniqueness problem.
Although it is ‘unlikely’ in practice that the value of wavenumber k is equal to a characteristic wavenumber k*, it is shown in Amini and Kirkup that the numerical error as a consequence of being ‘close’ to a characteristic wavenumber is O(1/|k-k*|). Hence, one technique of resolving the problem is to use finer meshes in the neighbourhood of the characteristic wavenumber in order to offset this error. However, this strategy is likely to be prohibitive, requiring the overhead of creating a range of meshes and increased computational cost. The values of the characteristic wavenumbers are also generally unknown, although they can be found (as discussed in Section 4.2), but at a substantial computational cost. It is also found that the characteristic wavenumbers cluster more and more as the frequency
increases. In conclusion, therefore, the boundary integral equations are—in practice—only useful for frequencies reasonably below a conservatively estimated first characteristic wavenumber, severely restricting the methods to the low frequency range in practice."

Attachments

• The Boundary Element Method in Acoustics - A Survey by S. Kirkup - ‎2019.pdf
    603.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's likely the leftover artefacts disappear with an even denser mesh.
The previous polars were derived from the far-field polar maps ("Graph - Convert curves <-> contour" feature in VACS).

This is a comparison between polars at 2.5 m for the coarse and the finer mesh. This is also the reason I try to keep the mesh density at minimum - typically it makes a little difference for the most part.

Attachments

• T-Ro-2,5m-meshes.png
    T-Ro-2,5m-meshes.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 260
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's how it works. If you wanted to calculate up to 20 kHz you would need a much finer mesh but it would be a total waste of time and power to solve it for lower frequencies. Maybe I should really try to create at least two meshes at different densities, divide the frequency range of interest and compose that results.

Last edited: